RAFS Rendesvous

Old August 25th 07, 02:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Bill Kambic

Default RAFS Rendesvous

The RAFS (Real Aviators Flew Stoofs) Rendesvous is tentatively set for
3-5 OCT 2008 in Reno, NV. Detaied information will be posted as
available.

Our Organizer, Fearless Leader, and Chief Instigator LCDR Gordy
Bonnel, USN (Ret.) has even located Julie Gibson and has extended to
her an invite to be the guest of the group. That could prove
interesting. :-)

If you've not been there, Reno is a nice place and is reasonably
priced. There's a lot to do even if you don't gamble (golf, Lake
Tahoe, Harrah's Car Museum, etc.). A good time is always had by all!

Mark you calendars now!!!!!

Bill Kambic

VS-27, VS-30, VS-73
Old August 25th 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Mike Kanze

Bill.

Stupid question...Any reason why the RAFS chose not to do this in conjunction with Tailhook (9/6 - 9/9 this year, also in Reno)?

Seems there might have been even more options for fun and camaraderie within the larger context of 'Hook.

As you said, Reno is a great place for fun of all kinds. We always enjoy the scenic drive up the Sierra slopes from the SF Bay Area - the tourists have largely gone home and you don't need to worry about carrying chains at that time of fall.

Cheers!

--
Mike Kanze

"I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man, I keep his house."

- Zsa Zsa Gabor

Old August 25th 07, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Shanghai McCoy[_3_]

Bill Kambic wrote:
The RAFS (Real Aviators Flew Stoofs) Rendesvous is tentatively set for
3-5 OCT 2008 in Reno, NV. Detaied information will be posted as
available.

Our Organizer, Fearless Leader, and Chief Instigator LCDR Gordy
Bonnel, USN (Ret.) has even located Julie Gibson and has extended to
her an invite to be the guest of the group. That could prove
interesting. :-)

If you've not been there, Reno is a nice place and is reasonably
priced. There's a lot to do even if you don't gamble (golf, Lake
Tahoe, Harrah's Car Museum, etc.). A good time is always had by all!

Mark you calendars now!!!!!

Bill Kambic

VS-27, VS-30, VS-73

Bill - When were you in Dirty-30?

Mike
Old August 25th 07, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Bill Kambic

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 16:32:15 -0500, Shanghai McCoy
wrote:

Bill Kambic wrote:
The RAFS (Real Aviators Flew Stoofs) Rendesvous is tentatively set for
3-5 OCT 2008 in Reno, NV. Detaied information will be posted as
available.

Our Organizer, Fearless Leader, and Chief Instigator LCDR Gordy
Bonnel, USN (Ret.) has even located Julie Gibson and has extended to
her an invite to be the guest of the group. That could prove
interesting. :-)

If you've not been there, Reno is a nice place and is reasonably
priced. There's a lot to do even if you don't gamble (golf, Lake
Tahoe, Harrah's Car Museum, etc.). A good time is always had by all!

Mark you calendars now!!!!!

Bill Kambic

VS-27, VS-30, VS-73

Bill - When were you in Dirty-30?

Was assigned to the FASODET at Quonset and Cecil, but ADDU to VS-30.
From 06/73-08/74.

Old August 25th 07, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Bill Kambic

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 13:00:20 -0700, "Mike Kanze"
wrote:

Bill.

Stupid question...Any reason why the RAFS chose not to do this in conjunction with Tailhook (9/6 - 9/9 this year, also in Reno)?

Don't know; I'm not a "chief" just a lowly "indian." :-)

Seems there might have been even more options for fun and camaraderie within the larger context of 'Hook.

Concur.

Then, perhaps the presence of so much grey hair might intimidate all
the youngsters. -

As you said, Reno is a great place for fun of all kinds. We always enjoy the scenic drive up the Sierra slopes from the SF Bay Area - the tourists have largely gone home and you don't need to worry about carrying chains at that time of fall.

"Snow" is a four-letter word and should be treated like all othe four
letter words. :-)
Old August 26th 07, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
John Weiss[_1_]

"Bill Kambic" wrote...

"Snow" is a four-letter word and should be treated like all othe four
letter words. :-)

I object!
---
John "Snow" Weiss

Old August 26th 07, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Mike Kanze

Bill,

perhaps the presence of so much grey hair might intimidate all the youngsters

Won't happen.

Since the Tailhook Association came out of hack several years ago, the green flight suits rule. For example, at the Friday night "Bug" Roach Mixer, one will see ~6,000 souls drinking beer and harder stuff, eating heavy whores ovaries, and generally having a great old "Friday night at the O-Club" time. Of these ~6,000, about 5,000 are active duty folks.

The powers that be in Naval Air are wisely ensuring that at least one air wing is scheduled for workups at NAS Fallon during 'Hook, allowing busloads of youngsters to trek the 50 miles into Reno for the fun.

Owl sends.