US Airspace and Airport Information

Old July 22nd 13, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA

Default US Airspace and Airport Information

Hello All,

Current US airspace information for the charting cycle effective June 27, 2013 is available on my website at http://www.soaringdata.info and on the Airspace section of the Worldwide Soaring Turnpoint Exchange. I posted the updated information to the site back in June, but I realized today that I neglected to make an announcement.

Updated US airport data in formats that support virtually all glide computers and loggers as well as many recreation-style GPS devices may also be found by following the link under the Airport Information tab on my website.

I have also posted the current series of updated sectional charts in CMR format for SeeYou. The same series of charts is available in Geo-Referenced TIFF format, which can be used in mapping software such as Global Mapper.

Airspace definitions for Temporary Flight Restrictions in OpenAir and Tim Newport-Peace formats are available by selecting the TFRs tab. This can be useful as we find ourselves in the middle of the fire season.

There have been a few minor changes to make things a bit easier. I noticed, for example, a few people having problems when using ClearNav turnpoint files without the ".stx" file name extension. A fix has been made to automatically recognize that format. If anyone has difficulties of any kind, they can feel free to contact me using the web master link on my site.

As always, this material is completely free and freely reproducible.

Happy Downloading!

Lynn Alley
"2KA"
Old July 22nd 13, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

Downloading the Airport Listing (.CUP file format) If planning a cross country be sure to (check-mark) and download the Google Earth .KML file with it. Then look closely at every "airport" on your intended path. I found one, Roses Field, that is now divided into 4 fields by wire fences!
I'm sure there are many more that are unusable.
Old July 22nd 13, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Soartech,

That is a good idea. However, the images available in Google Earth may be 1
to 10 years old (or something like that) - so don't assume they are current.

Paul Remde
______________________

Old July 22nd 13, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Soartech wrote, On 7/22/2013 11:47 AM:
Downloading the Airport Listing (.CUP file format) If planning a
cross country be sure to (check-mark) and download the Google Earth
.KML file with it. Then look closely at every "airport" on your
intended path. I found one, Roses Field, that is now divided into 4
fields by wire fences! I'm sure there are many more that are
unusable.

My first rule is to trust "public airport" info to be what they say it
is (and I check the NOTAMS for changes); my second rule is to distrust
"private airport" information, unless confirmed personally or by someone
I trust.

Public airports "got rules", but private airports can change, have
equipment parked on them, or disappear entirely (especially grass or
dirt strips). Google can let you measure the length and width of a strip
you've seen, but it won't show you the 50 cars that will appear on it
the next day when the owner holds a wedding reception.

email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl
Old July 22nd 13, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA

And by the way, if anyone has definite knowledge about airports that have been closed, that should be reported to the FAA so that they can be removed from the database. I can do it for you if you don't know how. You can contact me using the webmaster link on my site.

Lynn