Replacement for DAFIF Airspace Data

Old December 25th 07, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Default Replacement for DAFIF Airspace Data

Thanks Dave. I'd tabled the notion of producing NDB output since
learning there are tools to convert from TNP. Nothing left to do
there
Old December 25th 07, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

2KA wrote:

Please do add the airport turnpoint list to turnpoint.com. I'll send
over some of my source code for comparison, so you can see how I
handle things like unique short name generation.

Speaking of name generation...

I'm probably telling you stuff you know already, but there is the
problem of airports with identical names. I fly from Richland airport in
Washington state, but there are Richland airports in MO, NY, and WI.
John Leibacher solved that for the airport databases he generated by
appending the state name to airports names that weren't unique: Richland
WA, Richland MO, etc.

If you use small turnpoint areas, it may not be problem, but I put the
entire USA into SeeYou, and I typically use large portions of it in
SeeYou mobile, like WA, OR, ID, MT, or WA, OR, ID, northern CA and NV.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA
* "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old December 25th 07, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Tuno wrote:
Thanks 2KA, I'd love to see your source code for the airport turnpoint
stuff. You can find my e-addy at justsoar.com.

I've completed a program that takes a Cambridge turnpoint file (for
boundaries) and outputs (1) a new version of the same file padded with
all APT entries not closer than a mile to any turnpoint already in the
file, (2) a separate file of the same format with all APT entries in
the same boundary, and (3) a SeeYou (.cup) file with all APT entries
as turnpoints. The last one is nice to load in SeeYou and do whatever
with from there.

The entire APT file creates a file with 13520 turnpoints. And that's
facility type = "AIRPORT" or "GLIDERPORT" only.

Interesting that Turf Soaring (Pleasant Valley Airport) is listed as
an airport and not a gliderport.

Lots of info available to plop into the "Description" field. CTAF and
runway idents?

My priorities are *runway width*, and then 100LL availability (I fly a
motorglider). Here's how John L. does it in the CU cup description:

"RLD, RW width: 100, Fuel: 100LL"

He puts the main airport frequency in the cup Frequency box, and it
would be *very* useful to have the ATIS/AWOS frequency in the description.

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old December 25th 07, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

If you want the runway width, do you also want the lengths and widths
of all runways at the airport? (can do, as well as the fuel)

Neither ATIS nor AWOS freqs are in the NASR's APT table -- UNICOMs and
CTAFs only.

Hopefully the NFD will have all the freqs we see on the charts.
(They're supposed to add comm frequencies sometime in 2008.)

2NO
Old December 25th 07, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Tuno wrote:
If you want the runway width, do you also want the lengths and widths
of all runways at the airport? (can do, as well as the fuel)

John L.'s solution for SeeYou format was to pick the widest runway for
each airport, then list it's length in the Length: box and width in the
easier for him to produce multiple formats (cup, dat, etc) that didn't
have all the same fields.

Listing all the runways by direction, length, width, and surface (e.g.
RWY 12/20, 2400, 50W, grass) would be quite useful, I think, as the wind
may dictate another choice, and I can't always determine the width from
the air, and for recognizing it more easily.

Neither ATIS nor AWOS freqs are in the NASR's APT table -- UNICOMs and
CTAFs only.

Odd.

Hopefully the NFD will have all the freqs we see on the charts.
(They're supposed to add comm frequencies sometime in 2008.)

I'd love that, so I don't have to dig out a map and find the frequency.
At home, I keep a list on the side of the cockpit, but I travel all over
the country flying from airports as soaring weather happens, so I don't
have a list prepared.

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old December 26th 07, 01:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

JL and I think alike. I ended up using the widest runway too for the
runway specified in the length field, and I also specified the longest
runway if more than one at that width.

The descriptions look like this:

"12/30 2000x50ft DIRT"
"C122.8 U122.8 100LL 10/28 4000x75ft ASPH-E"
"C126.1 U122.95 100LL 04L/22R 4401x75ft ASPH-G 04R/22L 4870x75ft ASPH-
G"
"03L/21R 10012x150ft ASPH 03R/21L 9904x150ft CONC"

From left to right, they contain:

[CTAF-freq] [UNICOM-freq(s)] [100LL] [Runway1 ...]

.... where each Runway looks like

[Designation LxWft Surface]

.... and in many cases only one or two of the first three fields have
values.

Does that look useful? Any other suggestions?

2NO
Old December 26th 07, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Tuno wrote:
JL and I think alike. I ended up using the widest runway too for the
runway specified in the length field, and I also specified the longest
runway if more than one at that width.

The descriptions look like this:

"12/30 2000x50ft DIRT"
"C122.8 U122.8 100LL 10/28 4000x75ft ASPH-E"
"C126.1 U122.95 100LL 04L/22R 4401x75ft ASPH-G 04R/22L 4870x75ft ASPH-
G"
"03L/21R 10012x150ft ASPH 03R/21L 9904x150ft CONC"

From left to right, they contain:

[CTAF-freq] [UNICOM-freq(s)] [100LL] [Runway1 ...]

... where each Runway looks like

[Designation LxWft Surface]

... and in many cases only one or two of the first three fields have
values.

It's obvious, which is good, except for the E and G after ASPH (for
"asphalt" I assume): G = grass/gravel/?; E = ??

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old December 26th 07, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

It's obvious, which is good, except for the E and G after ASPH (for
"asphalt" I assume): G = grass/gravel/?; E = ??

From the database descriptionator:

RUNWAY SURFACE TYPE AND CONDITION
CONC - PORTLAND CEMENT CONCRETE
ASPH - ASPHALT OR BITUMINOUS CONCRETE
SNOW - SNOW
ICE - ICE
MATS - PIERCED STEEL PLANKING; LANDING
MATS; MEMBRANES
TREATED - OILED; SOIL CEMENT OR LIME STABILIZED
GRAVEL - GRAVEL; CINDERS; CRUSHED ROCK;
CORAL OR SHELLS; SLAG
TURF - GRASS; SOD
DIRT - NATURAL SOIL
WATER - WATER
E - EXCELLENT CONDITION
G - GOOD CONDITION
F - FAIR CONDITION
P - POOR CONDITION
L - FAILED CONDITION

THE VALUE CAN BE ANY ONE OF THOSE DESCRIBED
ABOVE OR A COMBINATION OF TWO TYPES WHEN
THE RUNWAY IS COMPOSED OF DISTINCT SECTIONS.

THE SURFACE TYPE IS OPTIONALLY FOLLOWED BY
A CONDITION INDICATOR.

DAFIF data for creating SUA files [email protected] Soaring 0 November 7th 07 02:36 PM
Wichita Airspace Question and overlapping airspace Owen[_4_] Piloting 1 February 14th 07 09:35 PM
Solution to DAFIF data going away? Paul Tomblin Piloting 1 June 5th 05 12:36 PM
DAFIF data Paul Tomblin Piloting 1 January 2nd 05 10:13 PM
DAFIF going away? Paul Tomblin Piloting 2 August 10th 04 03:30 PM