Beal AFB TFR ???

Old July 9th 08, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Tri-Pacer

Default Beal AFB TFR ???

Planning a trip from Tacoma, WA to San Diego I find a security TFR for Beal
AFB that seems to be renewed on a daily basis. It looks like they have
extended the Class C top all the way up to 18,000.

Will they clear you through it, or must you go around? I'll be around 7500'
and if I can't go through it would be easier to go around rather than
dropping down below 4100'

Reading the TFR is pretty confusing (to me at least) it seems to be
implemented daily for 2 or 3 hour blocks of time.

What are they doing?

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A

Old July 9th 08, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mark Hansen

On 07/09/08 09:14, Tri-Pacer wrote:
Planning a trip from Tacoma, WA to San Diego I find a security TFR for Beal
AFB that seems to be renewed on a daily basis. It looks like they have
extended the Class C top all the way up to 18,000.

It's not every day. In fact, I think it's only a couple times per month, but
I haven't looked in a while, so perhaps they've increased them...

Will they clear you through it, or must you go around? I'll be around 7500'
and if I can't go through it would be easier to go around rather than
dropping down below 4100'

I haven't read the TFR in a while, but I believe they say that you need to
be in contact with the controller and have a transponder code, etc. If you're
not sure, you can call the managing facility. Their number is provided in the
TFR text.

Reading the TFR is pretty confusing (to me at least) it seems to be
implemented daily for 2 or 3 hour blocks of time.

What are they doing?

The TFRs used to say they were conducting unmanned aircraft tests. Now, they
just say they are 'security related' - but they look the same (size, times of
day, etc.) so I think they are probably still doing unmanned operations.

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A

--
Mark Hansen, PP-ASEL, Instrument Airplane, USUA Ultralight Pilot
Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Old July 9th 08, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

It is BealE AFB.

Remotely piloted vehicles (RPV - drone airplanes). You couldn't see those
suckers at 100 yards if you had to. Miserable little *******s going like
dammity hell.

They WILL give you clearance through unless the whole swarm is up, and then
just go around it. Contact NorCal approach around Chico (from the north) or
Linden (from the south) and see what the status is.

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."

Old July 10th 08, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Jul 9, 9:14*am, "Tri-Pacer" wrote:
Planning a trip from Tacoma, WA to San Diego I find a security TFR for Beal
AFB that seems to be renewed on a daily basis. It looks like they have
extended the Class C top all the way up to 18,000.

They actually only use the TFR for about 10 minutes. The FAA requires
they keep it open though the entire time the bird is in the air
because in an emergency it may come down. In anycase, I have never,
ever heard of anyone having any problems getting cleared through it.

-Robert, CFII