Flying internationally

Old August 16th 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Flying internationally

Hi all -

I'm a deaf student pilot with my first solo coming up in a weekend or
two (I hope!).

I'm near the Canadian border, and have a number of friends there, as
well as family in Alaska I'd like to visit once I finally get my
license. What are peoples experiences with crossing the Canadian
border, and what needs to be done? Would a deaf pilot who can speak but
not receive be able to cross and land at a Canadian airport without
being chased by a border patrol?

On a slightly unrelated note, I'm looking for a handheld GPS / LORAN
unit to aid with cross country flying, especially once I start flying
around Alaska and Canada. While I'm a fair hand at dead reckoning,
flying hooded or blind triggers a mild claustrophobia, and I hate
having to depend on my instructor and on a radio on which I cannot
hear. Does anyone have recommendations for their favorite navigation
aids?

Thanks,

- Greg

Old August 16th 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, " said:
border, and what needs to be done? Would a deaf pilot who can speak but
not receive be able to cross and land at a Canadian airport without
being chased by a border patrol?

The new regs say that you have to be "in communication" with an ATC
facility when you cross the border. I'm pretty sure you aren't in
communication if you can't hear them.

FDC NOTAM 2/5319
"4. THE PILOT IS IN COMMUNICATION WITH THE GOVERNING ATC FACILITY AT THE
TIME OF THE BOUNDARY CROSSING"

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
-- Arthur C. Clarke
Old August 16th 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

wrote:
Hi all -

I'm a deaf student pilot with my first solo coming up in a weekend or
two (I hope!).

Start he

http://www.aopa.org/members/pic/intl/canada/

Old August 16th 06, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Todd W. Deckard

Greetings Greg,

you may already be associated with the organization, but if not these folks
might have the information you need:

http://www.deafpilots.com/

There is also some information from the FAA:

http://www.faa.gov/pilots/become/deaf_pilot/

This article suggested that despite NOTAM 2/5319 that there was a procedure
for NORDO aircraft but didn't offer
any details:

http://www.popularaviation.com/ListN...Dtl.asp?id=211

Good luck with your solo! I was at MSN once in the FBO and the counter
person was helping
a fellow call the tower and warn them he was about to fire up NORDO for his
departure. He was deaf and
flew into the TRSA (class C nowadays) to have some mechanical work done on
the plane. Apparently he worked it out
ahead of time and was accommodated by scheduling the arrival. I was told
they didn't even bother with light signals if
it was "green" and that while he was not a common visitor, it was considered
fairly routine.

My sister told a story about an older woman who was deaf that learned to fly
at Green County Ohio (I19). Her instructor
couldn't sign and simply pasted post-it notes to the dash as quickly as
necessary to provide the necessary tutelage. She did have a
misadventure during her long cross country when she became lost and landed
at the first airfield she came across to gather
her bearings. Apparently she didn't spot the green/white/white beacon and
got frightened when the military people pulled up
to the C150 as she was rolling to a stop and so she gunned it and took off!
Her instructor was able to plot out the
likely airfield from her frantic clues after she navigated her way back and
he made a few diplomatic phone calls. I guess
the ANG folks were more concerned than alarmed and it was quickly dismissed
in good humor, but that was a simpler time.

Todd

oups.com...

Old August 16th 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

wrote in message
[...]

You might want to check with and/or join this organization.
www.deafpilots.com

Old August 16th 06, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Todd W. Deckard wrote:
you may already be associated with the organization, but if not these folks
might have the information you need:

http://www.deafpilots.com/

I've contacted them a few times, but responses usually take a few
weeks, hence my asking here. I emailed this question to them sometime
in July but have yet to hear back.

There is also some information from the FAA:

http://www.faa.gov/pilots/become/deaf_pilot/

I've used that as the basis for understanding and obtaining with my
requirements to achieve my license.

This article suggested that despite NOTAM 2/5319 that there was a procedure
for NORDO aircraft but didn't offer
any details:

http://www.popularaviation.com/ListN...Dtl.asp?id=211

This is *VERY* useful, and points me in the right direction! Thanks!

Good luck with your solo! I was at MSN once in the FBO and the counter
person was helping
a fellow call the tower and warn them he was about to fire up NORDO for his
departure. He was deaf and
flew into the TRSA (class C nowadays) to have some mechanical work done on
the plane. Apparently he worked it out
ahead of time and was accommodated by scheduling the arrival. I was told
they didn't even bother with light signals if
it was "green" and that while he was not a common visitor, it was considered
fairly routine.

Yeah, I've already talked with people at controlled airports for taking
off and landing, and each has their own preferred solution. So in
general, the best solution is to warn them I'm coming.

My sister told a story about an older woman who was deaf that learned to fly
at Green County Ohio (I19). Her instructor
couldn't sign and simply pasted post-it notes to the dash as quickly as
necessary to provide the necessary tutelage. She did have a
misadventure during her long cross country when she became lost and landed
at the first airfield she came across to gather
her bearings. Apparently she didn't spot the green/white/white beacon and
got frightened when the military people pulled up
to the C150 as she was rolling to a stop and so she gunned it and took off!
Her instructor was able to plot out the
likely airfield from her frantic clues after she navigated her way back and
he made a few diplomatic phone calls. I guess
the ANG folks were more concerned than alarmed and it was quickly dismissed
in good humor, but that was a simpler time.

Yowch! It seems to me that the most suspicious part of that is the fact
she took off without doing anything else?