A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Looks like you can buy a piece of Seminole

Old July 27th 20, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood
external usenet poster

Default Looks like you can buy a piece of Seminole

On Monday, July 27, 2020 at 1:02:15 PM UTC-4, Christopher Schrader wrote:
Maybe the Owner should try to sell the assets and a reasonable degree of goodwill to a consortium at fair market value? If you can't afford to own it outright maybe you shouldn't control it or propose an impasse.

As a Florida Native I would hate to see this gliderport close its doors and become another sleepy airport community (unless it were a gliding community open to visitors).

- Chris Schrader

Chris, we would all hate to lose another flying site, and or gliderport. Probably the outright sale would be the way to go, make for a way less complicated management. I am sure that you remember the good ole days in Miami traveling up from the Keys with your dad to fly at the old Kendall Gliderport.. Not long after your flying days there off 168 street things changed and eventually closed, everyone was scrambling for a new place to fly. There was another commercial flying site in Indiantown, Bill Malone, a local aerial applicator provided tows and glider rental. The place was sold and gliders have never returned and are not welcome. Same situation at North County Airport, the glider operation was closed and never reopened. Same thing with Arcadia, and Labelle was pretty much dismantled after Tom's tragic accident.
I know that just about most old timers like myself can recall the same things happening to some of the gliderports that they once visited or flew out of. I for one have enjoyed my sailplane activity for many years, and have worked hard to carry the torch so to speak.
Old July 28th 20, 01:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Monday, July 27, 2020 at 1:02:15 PM UTC-4, Christopher Schrader wrote:
Maybe the Owner should try to sell the assets and a reasonable degree of goodwill to a consortium at fair market value? If you can't afford to own it outright maybe you shouldn't control it or propose an impasse.

As a Florida Native I would hate to see this gliderport close its doors and become another sleepy airport community (unless it were a gliding community open to visitors).

- Chris Schrader

The key is finding a consortium willing to buy the property and business. In an economy such as the one we are now facing there is less disposable income and therefore less participation in many endeavors, soaring and gliding being among them. Any real attempt at selling part or all of SLGP will need to wait until the economy comes back unless one is willing to sell at a significantly depressed price.

What really confused me during my several years participating as a student, a rental pilot, a volunteer hooking up and launching gliders and later 2 years and 8 months as tow pilot was a lack of any significant attempt at marketing the business. I lived in Orlando for 30 years before I heard of SLGP and that was by accident. With the exception of Mihai's oldest daughter who seemed to at least attempt to market the facility locally I saw little else done. Yes, they have an ad in Soaring Magazine and a web site, passive at best. Having done rotations in the marketing department of a multibillion dollar, multinational corporation (25 years at Novartis) I learned the importance of knowing your target audience and how to influence them. It doesn't matter how big or small your company is, without marketing you will be floundering. I identified 3 target audiences that could have been exploited but this fell on deaf ears. Sure, it would have taken a few bucks but no bucks, no Buck Rogers. The helicopter flight school I attend constantly advertises their rides and school on a local TV channel and it is quite effective. The owner has an MBA, go figure.

Walt

Old August 5th 20, 05:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RW[_2_]
external usenet poster

Bob, I agree , we can not loose this site. Last 2 managers made this site the best in US.
We know 2 proven managers, looks like we have many industrial real estate experts /pilots who could help as volunteers, site should be purchased by all of us., SSA, NSF, NAA.
Every respected gliding country has national gliding training center.
Are we 3 worlds country ?
Pls. try to be positive, and be respectful for people who worked so hard to made this site way better after mr. Knut sold it.
Our SSA headquaters should move there, and National Soaring Fundation should move there.
All of you who think can help with the technical part of the purchase should be harnessed , and I hope $2mil+ should be negotiated.
I would only buy brick or 2 of $500 if we have Andreea or Rich running the place.
Bricks : could be ; T glidr open hangar, 20 bricks, maybe , I dont know ? Rich can figure it out.
Point is, this is the only competition in US my wife is willing to to go with me.
It is run perfect now.
Thx to Rich and Andreea.
Love my friends.
Ryszard Krolikowski

Old August 5th 20, 05:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, August 4, 2020 at 9:29:19 PM UTC-7, RW wrote:
Bob, I agree , we can not loose this site. Last 2 managers made this site the best in US.
We know 2 proven managers, looks like we have many industrial real estate experts /pilots who could help as volunteers, site should be purchased by all of us., SSA, NSF, NAA.
Pls. try to be positive, and be respectful for people who worked so hard to made this site way better after mr. Knut sold it.
Our SSA headquaters should move there, and National Soaring Fundation should move there.
All of you who think can help with the technical part of the purchase should be harnessed , and I hope $2mil+ should be negotiated.
I would only buy brick or 2 of $500 if we have Andreea or Rich running the place.
Bricks : could be ; T glidr open hangar, 20 bricks, maybe , I dont know ? Rich can figure it out.
Point is, this is the only competition in US my wife is willing to to go with me.
It is run perfect now.
Thx to Rich and Andreea.
Love my friends.
Ryszard Krolikowski

What a terrific idea - doing business with a convicted international criminal, what could go wrong?

Tom
Old August 5th 20, 07:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]
external usenet poster

At 04:29 05 August 2020, RW wrote:
Bob, I agree , we can not loose this site. Last 2 managers made this

site
the best in US.
We know 2 proven managers, looks like we have many industrial real

estate
experts /pilots who could help as volunteers, site should be purchased

by
all of us., SSA, NSF, NAA.
Pls. try to be positive, and be respectful for people who worked so

hard
to made this site way better after mr. Knut sold it.
Our SSA headquaters should move there, and National Soaring

Fundation
should move there.
All of you who think can help with the technical part of the purchase
should be harnessed , and I hope $2mil+ should be negotiated.
I would only buy brick or 2 of $500 if we have Andreea or Rich running

the
place.
Bricks : could be ; T glidr open hangar, 20 bricks, maybe , I dont

know ?
Rich can figure it out.
Point is, this is the only competition in US my wife is willing to to go
with me.
It is run perfect now.
Thx to Rich and Andreea.
Love my friends.
Ryszard Krolikowski

I believe there is a very famous gliderport in the north east which has
been for sale for quite a while, it has ridge, wave, thermal lift and the
distinction of being the launching point for many world and national
records - and owned by people who as far as I am aware have helped
develop soaring in the USA and are a honest as the day is long - so tell
me why Seminole is so special it should justify what you have proposed
above.

Old August 5th 20, 12:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, August 5, 2020 at 2:45:04 AM UTC-4, Paul T wrote:
At 04:29 05 August 2020, RW wrote:
Bob, I agree , we can not loose this site. Last 2 managers made this

site
the best in US.
We know 2 proven managers, looks like we have many industrial real

estate
experts /pilots who could help as volunteers, site should be purchased

by
all of us., SSA, NSF, NAA.
Pls. try to be positive, and be respectful for people who worked so

hard
to made this site way better after mr. Knut sold it.
Our SSA headquaters should move there, and National Soaring

Fundation
should move there.
All of you who think can help with the technical part of the purchase
should be harnessed , and I hope $2mil+ should be negotiated.
I would only buy brick or 2 of $500 if we have Andreea or Rich running

the
place.
Bricks : could be ; T glidr open hangar, 20 bricks, maybe , I dont

know ?
Rich can figure it out.
Point is, this is the only competition in US my wife is willing to to go
with me.
It is run perfect now.
Thx to Rich and Andreea.
Love my friends.
Ryszard Krolikowski

I believe there is a very famous gliderport in the north east which has
been for sale for quite a while, it has ridge, wave, thermal lift and the
distinction of being the launching point for many world and national
records - and owned by people who as far as I am aware have helped
develop soaring in the USA and are a honest as the day is long - so tell
me why Seminole is so special it should justify what you have proposed
above.

Well, for one thing you can lay out semi naked by the pool in December and produce some vitamin D.

Walt
Old August 5th 20, 12:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, August 5, 2020 at 12:29:19 AM UTC-4, RW wrote:
It is run perfect now.
Thx to Rich and Andreea.
Love my friends.
Ryszard Krolikowski

I'm willing to bet that if you waived 2 million dollars under Mihai's nose right now he would break your hand taking it. In my personal (and Constitutionally protected) opinion it looks like Mihai is in need of a cash infusion. I could be wrong, it has happened in the past but it was a rare occurrence. I understood that he had several businesses back in Romania and elsewhere that needed his attention (ergo his return to the land of Vlad the Impaler) but then he says that SLGP is his "soul" business. Perhaps as part of his act of contrition to Romania he no longer has his other businesses? Inquiring minds want to know.

I doubt if Rich is still playing "vice Prez" for free. Ms. Luculescu told me she worked there for a year for FREE so it appears that Mihai had the payroll under control. (Unless there was a quid pro quo upon return to the motherland) The perfect minimum staff would be lead by a qualified Tow Pilot, CFIG, A&P, IA, E-I-E-I-O along with another tow pilot and instructor, perhaps more if the capacity utilization of the facility was brought up to speed. One might also consider a youngster, line boy, gopher aircraft washer, grass cutter for staging and hookups paid for by flying lessons...I would have jumped all over that position as a kid. SLGP does have potential but needs seasonal marketing (at least) to make the slow months more profitable..

I would hope by now that they have spiffed up the training gliders, new paint, UPHOLSTERY and the like. I realize that sign out on 33 is limited by county regulations as to size but it might just say "GLIDER RIDES" in big red letters with an arrow pointing down the road?

These are just my personal observations and Constitutionally protected opinions and not meant to disparage any individual or group. Soar on my friends and remember....DON'T KILL THE TOW PILOT.

WALT

Old August 5th 20, 01:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]
external usenet poster

Well, for one thing you can lay out semi naked by the pool in December

and
produce some vitamin D.

Walt

lots of places you can do that -doesn't make it a great gliding site though
-
and I think in the USA there are other places with far better soaring
potential than Seminole - which is probably what you want in a 'national
soaring center'.

Old August 5th 20, 01:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, August 5, 2020 at 8:15:05 AM UTC-4, Paul T wrote:

and
produce some vitamin D.

Walt

-
soaring center'.

I was making the comparison to a very famous glider port in the NE. I doubt if you can lay out in the sun, semi naked in December there. While I could care less if there was a national soaring center at SLGP the fact remains that the weather is flyable year round and the vacation advantages of the Orlando area are hard to beat. Any business that must hibernate for several months each year is unattractive. What SLGP needs is aggressive management and marketing and it will flourish. All this being said, unless the buyer is passionate about soaring there are other places in which one can put their money and receive a greater return. My guess is that Mihai is and will be stuck with the place for some time to come.

Walt
Old August 5th 20, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, August 5, 2020 at 5:33:17 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wednesday, August 5, 2020 at 8:15:05 AM UTC-4, Paul T wrote:

and
produce some vitamin D.

Walt

-
soaring center'.

I was making the comparison to a very famous glider port in the NE. I doubt if you can lay out in the sun, semi naked in December there. While I could care less if there was a national soaring center at SLGP the fact remains that the weather is flyable year round and the vacation advantages of the Orlando area are hard to beat. Any business that must hibernate for several months each year is unattractive. What SLGP needs is aggressive management and marketing and it will flourish. All this being said, unless the buyer is passionate about soaring there are other places in which one can put their money and receive a greater return. My guess is that Mihai is and will be stuck with the place for some time to come.

Walt

Certainly as long as Google is in business and any prospective buyer has the ability to google "Mihai Tanjala"