The Apology

Old October 23rd 20, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gregg Ballou[_2_]

Default The Apology

On Friday, October 23, 2020 at 4:35:00 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Wow, a lot of emotions got stirred up here.

Let me see if I can understand how this ad could have been interpreted by the women who complained.

The background poster looks like something from the 50's, the glorious time for men, when women were second class citizens.

The questions being asked by the women "What? No engine? But how?" imply that she's just another dumb blonde, who cannot possibly understand the technical intricacies of motorless flight. Contrast that with the male pilot, whose head gear alone tells us all we need to know about his piloting skills and expertise in flight mechanics.

The caption "Beginning brilliant new love story - Swept Off Her Feet" could imply that there's no point in trying to explain all these intricacies to a women because that would distract her from her main purpose which she can only find in the bedroom and in the kitchen.

With this in mind, I fully agree with Chip and I totally understand and support Linda.

Cheers,
Doug

A lot of people don't understand how gliders stay up, if you see a problem because a woman asked a question you are projecting your sexism. You say the man is guilty because of his hat, that is a hell of a Kafka trap. Ironically the drawing is most likely from a romance novel written for women. Poor women, women have lost a lot since the 1950's if you think being a childless corporate whore is better than being a stay at home mother you need to talk to some honest women. And yes women could fly then, if they wanted to, women have been flying since long before the Wright brothers.
Old October 23rd 20, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
andy l

On Thursday, 22 October 2020 at 03:09:29 UTC+1, Gregg Ballou wrote:
Is it ancient sexism that got the girl's fired up, or is the real reason they are mad because the soaring scene doesn't have men like the guy in the advertisement?

There could be yet another possible way to look at this.

After all the words are in a thinks bubble, not actual speech

Maybe this is a first date. She is the pilot, he knows this, and has put on the hat as a whimsical joke, but a couple more attempted jokes have come out a bit crass, and she's just imagining what he's going to say next ...
Old October 24th 20, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Friday, October 23, 2020 at 1:35:00 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

So, are you also going to take names and excommunicate pilots who disagree with you/Linda?

Tom
Old October 24th 20, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Bralla

Ironically the drawing is most likely from a romance novel written for women. Poor women, women have lost a lot since the 1950's if you think being a childless corporate whore is better than being a stay at home mother you need to talk to some honest women.

I'd like to nominate Gregg Ballou for the RAS Phyllis Shapley award.
Only stay at home mothers are honest women and the rest are childless corporate whores. Wow! what group do women running glider ports fall into?
Old October 24th 20, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hugh Grandstaff[_3_]

You know what's fun?

Being a CD with an archived copy of this thread.

See you guys in Moriarty for Sports Class!!!!!!

Hugh Grandstaff

Old October 24th 20, 04:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Ya know, I think every time I have brought up the soaring community I have had nothing but good things to say, after reading a disgusting thread like this, I wish I never clicked the link to this post.

Grow up boys, and remember who brought home first place at worlds this year...

P.S. Why can't RAS follow the same rule of no politics at a glider club?!?!
Old October 24th 20, 07:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Friday, October 23, 2020 at 8:11:12 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Ya know, I think every time I have brought up the soaring community I have had nothing but good things to say, after reading a disgusting thread like this, I wish I never clicked the link to this post.

Grow up boys, and remember who brought home first place at worlds this year...

P.S. Why can't RAS follow the same rule of no politics at a glider club?!?!

Ah, yet another net censor. This thread concerned a FULL-PAGE apology printed in Soaring, which we pay for, so it IS fair game. Don't read the posts if you don't like it, but STOP telling us to stop posting.

Tom
Old October 24th 20, 02:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gregg Ballou[_2_]

On Friday, October 23, 2020 at 10:53:06 PM UTC-4, wrote:
You know what's fun?

Being a CD with an archived copy of this thread.

See you guys in Moriarty for Sports Class!!!!!!

Hugh Grandstaff

Let's all think about that for a bit.
Old October 24th 20, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

So...Â* Does the Camel cigarette ad featuring Betty Skelton offend any
men?Â* Certainly not me!Â* I saw the ad which looks like a full page from
a comic book at the Santa Rosa, NM airport.Â* I was so tickled by it that
I looked her up.Â* I'd say she accomplished a lot more than a lot of the men.

Here's a link to the ad.Â* It's a bit difficult to read...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1948-CAMEL-...-/174121210320

--
Dan, 5J

Apology Bob Gardner Piloting 2 January 4th 05 06:51 PM
Apology Curtis Soaring 0 October 20th 04 03:44 PM
Apology Curtis Rotorcraft 0 October 20th 04 03:43 PM
Apology Curtis Restoration 0 October 20th 04 03:42 PM
Apology Curtis Products 0 October 20th 04 03:30 PM