A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Truck vs Car as a tow vehicle

Old November 6th 20, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW
external usenet poster

Default Truck vs Car as a tow vehicle

On 11/5/2020 10:13 AM, Stephen Struthers wrote:

Back in 1987 Audi produced the 80 Quattro, a four door sedan with
4 wheel drive. It had pneumatic diff locks on the front centre and
rear diff. I towed a 2 seater in a 4 wheel covered trailer up a 2 mile
25% slope in a foot of snow and overtook everything in sight.

25% slope...over two miles?!? Holy Moly - like the thug in "Dirty Harry" I
gots to know. Where IS that? In the USA, I've never seen anything steeper than
15% (16?) and that's down to the dam at Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Plenty
of 12/13/14-percent signs in CO/UT, but 25%? I'm amazed there *were* others to
overtake!

Bob W.

---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com

Old November 6th 20, 04:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 7:08:22 PM UTC-7, 2G wrote:
On Tuesday, November 3, 2020 at 6:05:48 AM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:
2G wrote on 11/2/2020 8:53 PM:
On Monday, November 2, 2020 at 6:27:33 AM UTC-8, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Sunday, November 1, 2020 at 9:20:07 PM UTC-5, 2G wrote:
With 2WD once you have lost traction on either driven wheel
you ARE stuck or are spinning out because of how the differential works.

Incorrect for modern vehicles equipped with limited-slip differentials...

Limited-slip differentials are primarily used on 2WD sports cars. 4WD is a MUCH better option: if you lose traction on one wheel you have 3 others providing traction vs one. I haven't seen any SUVs where this is an option, anyway.

Isn't that what AWD does? It's available in SUVs, sedans, and even a minivan.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to email me)
- "A Guide to Self-Launching Sailplane Operation"
https://sites.google.com/site/motorg...ad-the-guide-1

Limited-slip differentials are offered for 2WD vehicles only. I once had this on a Ford F-250 pickup, which I was not very satisfied with (it didn't seem to work as advertised). Here is a good explanation comparing AWD to 4WD:
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...l%20off%20road.
If that isn't enough, here is another:
https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...36/awd-vs-4wd/

The bottom line is if you want maximum traction while off-road get 4WD. AWD is perfect for people that only drive on roads that may get occasional snow and ice.

Tom

My Dodge Durango very definitely has 4WD and a rear LSD, though it was not in the options listed in the back of the glove box. I rebuilt it four years ago. It was very difficult to identify from outside of the pumpkin as same diff could be fitted or refitted with/without it. The vehicle is definitely a goat with a small turning radius, plenty of ice and snow clearance, and tows large glider trailers very well at impressive speeds. It sucks gas though, especially the ethanol infused stuff.

Frank
Old November 13th 20, 06:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kenward1000
external usenet poster

Les Sebald, the long time owner of Soar Truckee, would tell anyone who would listen, to buy a 74 Cadillac Coupe DeVille. Heavy enough that the trailer couldn't wag the dog. Low hitch height. Plenty of power. Comfy ride for your driver. Style points.
Old November 13th 20, 02:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]
external usenet poster

kenward1000 wrote on 11/12/2020 9:52 PM:
Les Sebald, the long time owner of Soar Truckee, would tell anyone who would listen, to buy a 74 Cadillac Coupe DeVille. Heavy enough that the trailer couldn't wag the dog. Low hitch height. Plenty of power. Comfy ride for your driver. Style points.

How long ago was that? Imagine what a disaster in motion that car is now.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to email me)
- "A Guide to Self-Launching Sailplane Operation"
https://sites.google.com/site/motorg...ad-the-guide-1
Old November 13th 20, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS
external usenet poster

On Friday, November 13, 2020 at 12:52:11 AM UTC-5, kenward1000 wrote:

The type or class of vehicles which hasn't been mentioned here (unless I missed it) is the 'Full-sized Van'. I tow a two-axle trailer with a Ford E150 conversion van, which I bought used in an estate sale for a song and a dance. It has a 5.8 L V8 and it is my weekend/vacation/airport vehicle - not my daily beater - so I really don't care about the economy of that beast. So far, I have done several 3,000+ mile round-trips across the US and it is a very comfortable, quiet ride. It has not been overpowered by the trailer (yet), which has brakes in good working order and is equipped with a tire pressure/temperature monitoring system. The van has the short overhang which enhances the stability and the tow hitch is positioned such that I don't scrape the ground when pulling into a gas station. Overall, a big thumbs-up for this class of vehicles - a perfect fit for my situation.

Uli
'AS'