DG-300/303 owners...

Old April 20th 07, 12:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

Default DG-300/303 owners...

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 09:49:59 -0600, Shawn
wrote:

Nevada-like weather in Germany? I don't think even Al Gore could go
that far. ;-)

In 2003 we were "close" (for a duration of two weeks):
Temperatures over 40 degrees C and cloud base over 10.000 ft...

Bye
Andreas
Old April 20th 07, 11:55 PM
mart mart is offline
Junior Member

I read the report on the DG website and it all looks very nice except the last words; end of discussion. That rubs me the wrong way.
As far as I know this is not a warranty issue but a building mistake and I think you stay liable for that, no time expire.
It seems to me that some business will have an insurance to cover the loss for the pilots.
I was at the Elan factory a number of years ago. They were building there the very first DG 1000. So there was defenitely a close business contact.
If DG would have to pay they might go bankrupt.Due the previous bankrupty they might not be liable anyway.
But Elan is a very big ski-factory. The gliders were made on the same terrain,behind the same fence. After seeing the gliders build I saw them build ski's by the 1000's. There is money there to compensate or fix the gliders.
I think all the 300/303 pilots should put $100 in an account and have somebody find out who is liable.
Old April 21st 07, 07:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Davis

I doubt that you stay liable through bankruptcy.
DG is not Glazer-Dirks nor is it Rolladin-Schneider
and when DG bought the assets of those bankrupt
companies it didn't buy the liability of them. The
liabilities, debts to suppliers, warranties, shareholders
rights, employee compensation issues, etc... all
were disposed of by the bankruptcy court.
By buying the company name, assets and tooling
etc...DG got the goodwill of the customer base and
may have taken on the obligation to monitor the
status of legacy product but it did not take on an
obligation to provide free repair.
Also, they seem to believe that the third option,
the wings are strong enough with reduced operating
limits is sufficient.

Bob K. mentioned 'Hmmm... I wonder who that
'someone' might be. Whoever they are, they're
pretty brave to get wrapped up in this mess.'

This could also be applied to DG. If they specify
an inspection and repair procedure for this mess
does it imply that they are accepting some liability
for payment and warranty if someone other than
DG does the work?

--
mart

Old April 21st 07, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

I too believe the restrictions on the 300 will scarcely be noticed by
the average pilot, but if someone is concerened (acro) their ship can
easily be proof-loaded to 5.3 G's. Stan Hall wrote a good paper on
just how to go about it, published in Soaring. Basically you mount the
wing inverted on a sturdy test stand, secure it so it won't twist and
then sand-bag that puppy to the flight limits, usually 5.3 G's. Then
you know the wing is stong enough for anything it should see in flight
if the ship is flown within the flight envelope.
JJ

Old April 21st 07, 04:31 PM
John Schaffer John Schaffer is offline
Junior Member

Just got a reply back from DG regarding the DG300 wings. When asked aboutthe cost and availability I got and I quote

"Dear Mr. Schaffer,

unfortunately we can not offer you a new wing for DG-300."
Old April 21st 07, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
brianDG303

I was not able to follow the explaination, but in the original post at
DG they seem to say the wing that was tested (and was bad) failed at
just over 9.0 G's, but they want a safety factor of 1.5 which is 9.64
G's. I could have this wrong though. However, it seems in line with
the actually very modest restrictions, other than Acro, and only 35 or
37 Acro's were built.

Something I've always wondered is just exactly what made an Acro other
than the foot straps, the G meter, and the decal. Whatever it is it
doesn't seem to weigh anything.

Old April 21st 07, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc Ramsey

brianDG303 wrote:
Something I've always wondered is just exactly what made an Acro other
than the foot straps, the G meter, and the decal. Whatever it is it
doesn't seem to weigh anything.

When I bought mine I was told that the structural changes consisted of a
slightly beefed up tail boom...

Marc
Old April 21st 07, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc Ramsey

John Schaffer wrote:
Just got a reply back from DG regarding the DG300 wings. When asked
aboutthe cost and availability I got and I quote

"Dear Mr. Schaffer,

unfortunately we can not offer you a new wing for DG-300."

AMS Flight currently has the molds, tooling and production rights, not
DG. They could build more if they wanted to...

Marc
Old April 22nd 07, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Davis

They could probably inspect and repair the
existing wings cheaper than supplying new
ones. Perhaps after some time an ultrasonic
inspection method could be developed and
only the bad wings could be sent to DG for
repair? I wouldn't be surprised if they try
to develop a cheaper way to inspect the spars
as some European clubs could delay purchases
of new DG gliders pending a satisfactory
resolution of this problem at least for their
club and members.

At 21:06 21 April 2007, John Schaffer wrote:

Just got a reply back from DG regarding the DG300 wings.
When asked
aboutthe cost and availability I got and I quote

'Dear Mr. Schaffer,

unfortunately we can not offer you a new wing for DG-300.'

--
John Schaffer

Beech Duke Owners/ex-Owners ple help... Stanley Owning 12 June 10th 16 12:36 AM
DG-300/303 owners... Marc Ramsey Soaring 34 April 22nd 07 05:07 AM
SHK Owners [email protected] Soaring 1 February 7th 06 07:37 PM
R22 owners please help with AD 2004-06-52 rotortrash Rotorcraft 20 April 28th 04 04:33 PM
Any UH-1 owners in here? Jim Rotorcraft 7 October 6th 03 02:33 AM