Dry Valve Lash

Old April 3rd 04, 07:53 PM
jls

Default Dry Valve Lash

This must be an obscure area because googling it didn't bring up anything in
usenet. Be that as it may the O-300 we are presently doing a top on has
more than .110" dry valve clearance under the rocker toe on several of the
valves. That reading is the clearance between the rocker arm toe and the
top of the valve stem when the hydraulic lifter has been completely
collapsed.

However, the hydraulic units are Superior's, and so are the cylinders. So
I'm wondering if we are going to have to go to longer pushrods, since the
Continental Overhaul Manual calls for limits of .030" to .110" dry valve
clearance. Anybody here got any ideas? What I'm hoping (probably in
futility) is that the limits are greater with Superior hydraulic units. If
not we'll have to go to the next oversize set of pushrods and our budget is
already busted all to hell. TIA and bless you.

Old April 4th 04, 12:59 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
" jls" wrote:

[...]

Nope -- the dry valve limits affect valve opening and wear. It sounds as
if you need longer pushrods.
Old April 4th 04, 02:12 AM
dave

If you have access to a lathe, the pushrods can be made. I made a few on
my E225.
One thing to remember is that the rocker arms typically are not 50/50,
so getting a 0.020 longer pushrod does not change the clearance by
0.020, it may be more.
If you measure all the clearances, quite often you can mix and match to
get in spec with all pushrods.

Dave

Old April 4th 04, 06:00 PM
Paul Anton

not we'll have to go to the next oversize set of pushrods and our budget
is
already busted all to hell. TIA and bless you.

They aren't all that expensive. Try Fresno Airparts.

Cheers:

Paul
NC2273H

Old April 5th 04, 04:13 AM
jls

"dave" wrote in message
If you have access to a lathe, the pushrods can be made. I made a few on
my E225.
One thing to remember is that the rocker arms typically are not 50/50,
so getting a 0.020 longer pushrod does not change the clearance by
0.020, it may be more.
If you measure all the clearances, quite often you can mix and match to
get in spec with all pushrods.

Dave

I think you're right, Dave and thanks. There's .080" to play with because
the dry valve lash limits are not less than .030" nor more than .110".
I'll measure each arm of the rocker from the fulcrum and see what kind of
ratio we get there and play around with the lash a little. There are just
four which are out of limits, i. e., more than .110". And the next size
pushrod is .030" overlength. Four of those should do it.

Old April 5th 04, 04:16 AM
jls

"Paul Anton" wrote in message
not we'll have to go to the next oversize set of pushrods and our budget

is
already busted all to hell. TIA and bless you.

They aren't all that expensive. Try Fresno Airparts.

Cheers:

Paul
NC2273H

Thanks, Paul, and you're right. Fresno has them for $22.50 as opposed to
$85 apiece from another source.

Old April 5th 04, 06:43 PM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
" jls" wrote:

"Paul Anton" wrote in message
not we'll have to go to the next oversize set of pushrods and our budget

is
already busted all to hell. TIA and bless you.

They aren't all that expensive. Try Fresno Airparts.

Cheers:

Paul
NC2273H

Thanks, Paul, and you're right. Fresno has them for $22.50 as opposed to
$85 apiece from another source.

Have you tried El Reno Aviation? I believe that the O-290 uses the same
pushrods as the O-435. Both engines use the same pistons, cylinders,
rods, valve train.