amateur design consultant?

Old June 26th 04, 03:35 PM
Shin Gou

Default amateur design consultant?

Could anyone give me a suggestion of good airplane design consultant
with a reasonable service charge for light/sport airplane conceptual
design? A professional design agency would be great, but I believe a
graduate student in aeronautical engineering should be able to help me
out.

I am not an engineer and only have private pilot's paper test level
aeronautical knowledge(don't sneer at me. I passed the test in the
first try!), but I am now just fascinated with the idea of designing
and building and yes, flying my own airplane! I am brainstorming a
twin 3/4 seat camper design using two Rotax 912S or Jabiru 3300 with
reliability(twin), simplicity(tube and fabric?), ruggedness(tube and
fabric and STOL), comfortability(large cabin for two sleeping)and low
cost in mind. I know I probably wouldn't have enough money and time to
build it anytime soon, but I just can't wait for proving the design
and seeing the airplane layed out on the blue print!

So now my goal is to get to the first stage: the conceptual and
preliminary design. Then I will save money for structure design and
stability analysis etc. Finally I hope I can have the construction
plan and then from there I can build the plane piece by piece over
time.

I know nowadays such light airplane design could be totally done on a
computer and there're some dirty cheap entry-level airplane design CAD
softwares I can play with, but these softwares do need human input
with sufficient aeronautical knowledge even though they look like a
dummy's software for those enginners who operate 150K REAL airplane
design CAD systems. So is there anyone good at any of those softwares
like AirplanePDQ or even X-Plane PlaneMaker who would like to help me?

Thank you in advance.

Shin Gou
Old June 26th 04, 05:36 PM
Richard Lamb

Shin Gou wrote:

[...]

Any CAD and any spreadsheet.

Those are the modern tools of creation, and as great an 'equalizer'
as the Colt's 45 was in the Olde West.

HOW you use them, as you pointed out, is the critical question.

While the programs you asked about can produce results, it's left up
to the operator to determine if those results are valid.
"Therein lies the rub", as the Bard put it.

There are a lot of web sites that deal with aerodynamics and design.
That would be one possible way to get up to speed.

Another, more traditional way, is to acquire and study - books.
Maybe the guys here on the group will chip in with suggestions.

At first "Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators" looked mighty intimidating.
That was most of a lifetime ago, and now it seems almost superficial.

But one must start somewhere...

Below is the source listing for a simple (minded?) little program
that I often use to study the relationship between wing design
options.

It doesn't produce pretty pictures or anything like that.
But it _does_ let one play with the major parameters and see how
they interact.

The idea is to pick one parameter to SOLVE for, based on given
values for the rest of them.

Coefficient of lift, wing Surface, Airspeed, and total Lift are
the changeable values. It assumes a sea level standard day.

I wrote it in the BASIC language and should run under just about
any interpreter or compiler with little if any modifications required.

This version is much better structured, and the line numbers have been
discarded in favor of Labels so that even the most rabid C-Hag can
follow.

All I ask in return is that if you take it and extend it into
something more useful, send me a copy? (source code, dude!)

Best wishes,

Richard Lamb
http://home.earthlink.net/~n6228l/

============= cut here =================

FF = 0
TT = NOT FF
doRun = TT
KK$ = "LVSCQ?"
'initial values:
L = 555
W = L
A = 55
V = A * 1.4666
CL = 1.2
S = 125

CLS
PRINT "Finite Wing Theory"; " print"
WHILE doRun = TT
PRINT "[.L.V.S.C.Q.] for Lift Velocity Surface Clift Quit "; Z$
Z$ = ""

WHILE Z$ = ""
Z$ = UCASE$(INKEY$):
IF Z$ = CHR$(13) THEN Z$ = ""
IF Z$ = CHR$(27) THEN Z$ = "Q"
IF INSTR(KK$, Z$) = 0 THEN Z$ = ""
WEND

PRINT
SELECT CASE UCASE$(Z$)
CASE "L"
PRINT " Calculate LIFT.............."
GOSUB doLift
CASE "V"
PRINT " Calculate Velocity.........."
GOSUB doVel
CASE "S"
PRINT " Calculate Wing Area........."
GOSUB doSurf
CASE "C"
PRINT " Calculate Coef. of Lift....."
GOSUB doCL
CASE "?"
'GOSUB doDump
PRINT
PRINT " Variable dump:---------------------------"
PRINT " Lift / Weight "; L; " lbs"
PRINT " Airspeed "; A; " mph = "; V; " fps"
PRINT " Coefec of Lift "; CL
PRINT " Wing Area "; S; " sq ft"
PRINT " -----------------------------------------"
CASE "Q"
doRun = FF
END SELECT

PRINT : PRINT
WEND
END

doLift:
GOSUB GetSurf
GOSUB GetVel
GOSUB GetCL
L = .001188 * CL * V * V * S
PRINT " Lift = "; L
RETURN

doVel:
GOSUB GetSurf
GOSUB GetCL
GOSUB GetWgt
V = SQR(L / (.001188 * CL * S))
A = V * .681
PRINT " Velocity = ";
PRINT USING "#,###.#"; A;
PRINT " MPH = ";
PRINT USING "#,###.#"; V;
PRINT " FPS"
RETURN

doSurf:
GOSUB GetCL
GOSUB GetWgt
GOSUB GetVel
S = L / (.001188 * CL * V * V)
PRINT " Surface = "; S
RETURN

doCL:
GOSUB GetWgt
GOSUB GetVel
GOSUB GetSurf
CL = L / (.001188 * S * V * V)
PRINT " Coeff. Lift = "; CL
RETURN

GetSurf:
PRINT " Wing Area (sq ft) ["; S; "]";
INPUT ""; X
IF X 0 THEN S = X
RETURN

GetVel:
PRINT " Airspeed (mph) ["; A; "]";
INPUT ""; X
IF X 0 THEN
A = X
V = X * 1.467
END IF
RETURN

GetCL:
PRINT " Coeff. Lift (#.##) ["; CL; "]";
INPUT ""; X
IF X 0 THEN CL = X
RETURN

GetWgt:
PRINT " Gross Weight (lbs) ["; L; "}";
INPUT ""; X
IF X 0 THEN
W = X ' steady state W = L
L = X
END IF
RETURN

Old June 27th 04, 03:41 AM
Luo Zheng

I can help you in aircraft instruments which are cheaper and stable.

If you are interested in them, please browse my Web site.
http://www.ming-da.com

Best Regards

Luo
Old June 27th 04, 04:06 AM
Richard Lamb

Luo Zheng wrote:

I can help you in aircraft instruments which are cheaper and stable.

If you are interested in them, please browse my Web site.
http://www.ming-da.com

Best Regards

Luo

Give me a little more forplay, Luo.

Too many web weenies playing silly buggers these days.

Richard
Old June 27th 04, 01:59 PM
Rob Turk

"Luo Zheng" wrote in message
om...
I can help you in aircraft instruments which are cheaper and stable.

If you are interested in them, please browse my Web site.
http://www.ming-da.com

Best Regards

Interesting to see your company has years of experience in aircraft
instuments (according to your web site), and then turns to this group to ask
how long an electric gyro should last. Having some reliability problems,
perhaps?!?

Rob

Old June 27th 04, 08:02 PM
Rob Turk

"Richard Riley" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 14:59:07 +0200, "Rob Turk"
wrote:

:"Luo Zheng" wrote in message
. com...
: I can help you in aircraft instruments which are cheaper and stable.
:
: If you are interested in them, please browse my Web site.
: http://www.ming-da.com
:
: Best Regards
:
:
:Interesting to see your company has years of experience in aircraft
:instuments (according to your web site), and then turns to this group to

ask
:how long an electric gyro should last. Having some reliability problems,
erhaps?!?

I'm still not sure that's what he was asking. It might be - but I
think maybe he was trying to find out the size of the US market for
his product.

That's a possibility as well. However, the electric gyro shown on his
website looks very similar to the 'non-TCO' gyro listed by Aircraft Spruce.
It's made in China too. When I wanted to order it through the Aircraft
Spruce UK subsidiary they strongly adviced against it due to reliability
issues with the bearings. They claimed that the gyro's all stopped working
after 50-100 hours of operation.

I'm not absolutely sure that they are both the same product (China is a big
country..) but I found the correlation between his 'how long can it be used'
question and the bearing issue I was warned for too much of a coincidence
not to mention it..

Rob

Old June 27th 04, 08:46 PM
Richard Lamb

Some updated sketches on the BK 1.?/L-1.?
(names changed to protect the innocent)

Some changes were dictated by a more realistic wieght and balance.

Since this version is being developed for Bruce, we'll stick with his
designation.

Personally. I like the long snout version, and am reserving the L-One
name for that one. Eventually I'll get the file names changed. Until
then, just deal with it...

L-One?
With the pilot's feet aft of the rear spar, there would be room for
a huge fuel capacity - right on the center of lift. Little or no
fuel trim changes. Call it six to eight hours endurance?
Depends a lot on what the Mighty V-Dub can lift on a relatively
small wing.

And! include the relief tube as an integral part of the design.

Imagine (if you will) a small backwards facing funnel extension
on the aft end of one of the wheel pants to supply a small low pressure
area (to help evacuate the tube). Light, simple, and damned important!

But that would be a completely different plane from what Bruce asked
for.

So...

http://home.earthlink.net/~n6228l/l-one.htm
Old June 28th 04, 05:46 PM
Jay

Get X-Plane, it costs nearly nothing for the older retail version you
can get on E-Bay. If you learn it and like it, you can go buy the
newest version from the author.

It won't tell you anything structural (which does influence the
design), however it will give you aerodynamic information that was
unavaiable to even the big boys 10 years ago. Start off by studying
some of the more mature aircraft designs that you can find and modify
from there to make your design. At the very least you'll have
bulkhead shapes, airfoils, flight surface sizes/shapes and some
preliminary performance numbers when you're finished.

Regards

p.s. As far as structural analysis, you can start with an old textbook
from Statics 101, especially since you're talking about a steel tube
structure.

Old June 28th 04, 05:58 PM
Shin Gou

Rob,

You are right. I am a Chinese currently working and flying in the US
(no, they are not together. Flying is just my hobby.) Both military
and civil Chinese airplane manufacturers(yes, there ARE airplane
manufacturers in China) avoid using China-made avionics if they have
the extra budget though I don't know if they all use China-made
gyros(they use China-made non-gyro instruments.)

I am 99% sure this guy's products are the same as those listed on
Aircraft Spruce. I don't know this guy, but I've talked to some
airplane homebuilders
in China (yes, there ARE airplane homebuilders in China though they
have to work mostly underground) who talked to this guy who obviously
boosted the sale of his products to overseas markets. By the way, this
guy's company is the subsidiary of the subsidiary of China's state-run
trade corp. of aviation products, so all this guy's products are
actually TSO's in China. But how could a gyro TSOed in China fail in
50-100 hours? mmm, don't ask me this question, I want to go back to
China and don't want to be killed by my extremist patriotist folks.

Shin

"Rob Turk" wrote in message l.nl...
"Richard Riley" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 14:59:07 +0200, "Rob Turk"
wrote:

. com...

Ducted Fan Design David Home Built 5 February 7th 04 07:15 AM
Spoiler placement and design. B2431 Home Built 9 November 11th 03 05:02 PM
Online panel design Yoram Leshinski Home Built 3 October 22nd 03 05:32 PM
Carbon Spar design and construction workshop Marske Flying Wings Home Built 0 September 18th 03 05:47 PM
Flap design question Chris W Home Built 1 August 4th 03 02:50 PM