In flight phone/camera charging

Old November 15th 19, 03:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default In flight phone/camera charging

Would like to add an in-cockit dual charge "station" to charge phone and action camera in flight. Any suggestion for hardware?

Hopefully, something small and simple.

Old November 15th 19, 04:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 18:23:59 -0800, bensoaring wrote:

Would like to add an in-cockit dual charge "station" to charge phone and
action camera in flight. Any suggestion for hardware?

Hopefully, something small and simple.

A web search for "12v USB charging socket" will find lots.

Even after ignoring the ones that fit in a cigar lighter and jump out
when you're not looking, there are a lot to choose from. Most seem to be
dual socket. Some are for panel mount. Loads of 'em on Amazon and eBay.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old November 15th 19, 04:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I always carry a couple of the little batteries with cables for recharging just in case of a landout. I also have USB panel mount plugs wired into aircraft power, but the battery packs are the simplest solution. Just stick them in the side pouch.
Old November 15th 19, 08:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wyll Surf Air

On Thursday, November 14, 2019 at 6:24:02 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Would like to add an in-cockit dual charge "station" to charge phone and action camera in flight. Any suggestion for hardware?

Hopefully, something small and simple.

I have one of these panel mounted in my glider. The fact that they are aluminum makes me think that they are shielded better than your usual 12V usb charger. So far they seem to work and I haven't had any noise issues yet.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...Y1U2Z1FL&psc=1
Old November 15th 19, 01:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

https://charge4.harkwood.co.uk/
Old November 15th 19, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Emir Sherbi

I had a lot of noise issues with the USB ports. Some of them work, others not. The most practical was to carry a portable powerbank, but is another thing that you have to remember to charge....
Old November 15th 19, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...re=emb_t itle

Old November 15th 19, 04:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 05:27:27 -0800, Emir Sherbi wrote:

I had a lot of noise issues with the USB ports. Some of them work,
others not. The most practical was to carry a portable powerbank, but is
another thing that you have to remember to charge....

My PNA used to run off an el-cheapo Fleabay cigar-lighter USB charger,
but noise from it was never an issue because it was inside a Maplins[*]
cast metal enclosure, for shielding, and I'd stripped off its plastic
case and soldered on a decent 12 v connection to avoid any 'leaping out
of the socket' syndrome. About two years ago the original USB charger
failed after over 10 years use and was replaced by a 'brick', a solid
state 3A 12v-5v converter, which seems to be working very well indeed.

I've included this link to a similar one that might also suit the OP:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Converter-A...tor-FlowerPEI/
dp/B07YB17YL7/ref=sr_1_5?
keywords=12v+to+5v+power+converter+3A&qid=15738301 47&sr=8-5

I said similar because this one has two USB sockets already connected to
it, while mine has a single pair of bare output wires. These things are
dirt cheap - under $4 excluding postage.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old November 15th 19, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Senna Van den Bosch

Op vrijdag 15 november 2019 03:24:02 UTC+1 schreef :
Would like to add an in-cockit dual charge "station" to charge phone and action camera in flight. Any suggestion for hardware?

Hopefully, something small and simple.

Might not be what you're looking for, but I'm using a 10k mAh powerbank with 2 USB ports, which I both use for my GoPro and smartphone(xcsoar).
Old November 15th 19, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 6:27:30 AM UTC-7, Emir Sherbi wrote:
I had a lot of noise issues with the USB ports. Some of them work, others not. The most practical was to carry a portable powerbank, but is another thing that you have to remember to charge....

I have tried a few as well and also had issues with noise. So far been using a powerbank as well. But if willing to try some recommendations for low noise outlets.

Brian