Blanik - LiPo/LiFe Refit

Old August 18th 20, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Blanik - LiPo/LiFe Refit

Was chatting with an FAA engineer about an unrelated matter and the subject of JAR specs for sailplanes came up. I mentioned almost in passing that it sure seemed like if any new ground was plowed on batteries it would be OSTIV and EASA that paved it.

He replied that if a manufacturer actually recommended newer chemistry batteries as replacement for the OEMs that are no longer available the FAA would most likely have no issues extending a formal okey dokey and blessing.

Anybody got a friend at Blanik CZ? I know folks running LiFe anyways but it would be a nice change of pace to see the regulations catch up to technology, even if it's only for a little while.
Old August 18th 20, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Tuesday, 18 August 2020 at 04:16:08 UTC+3, wrote:
Was chatting with an FAA engineer about an unrelated matter and the subject of JAR specs for sailplanes came up. I mentioned almost in passing that it sure seemed like if any new ground was plowed on batteries it would be OSTIV and EASA that paved it.

He replied that if a manufacturer actually recommended newer chemistry batteries as replacement for the OEMs that are no longer available the FAA would most likely have no issues extending a formal okey dokey and blessing.

Anybody got a friend at Blanik CZ? I know folks running LiFe anyways but it would be a nice change of pace to see the regulations catch up to technology, even if it's only for a little while.

Why would you ask anyone what kind of avionics battery to use? They are not part of MEL or any approval. Just use common sense.

Blanik Wing Tip Wheels for L-23 Super Blanik Rich Owen[_2_] Soaring 2 June 25th 20 07:08 PM
LiPo Batteries in Gliders GM Soaring 36 March 1st 10 07:41 AM
Blanik L13 service life Fish Soaring 0 January 2nd 08 06:19 AM
blanik life limits, and new AD john Soaring 1 October 7th 07 12:55 AM
Blanik L-13 operating life Charles Yeates Soaring 2 January 15th 06 02:41 AM