Paraglider survives after soaring to 32,000 feet

Old February 20th 07, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67

Default Paraglider survives after soaring to 32,000 feet

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17185299/

Old February 20th 07, 06:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Feb 19, 5:41 pm, "ContestID67" wrote:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17185299/

Yesterday's news.

Old February 20th 07, 01:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Repacholi

writes:

On Feb 19, 5:41 pm, "ContestID67" wrote:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17185299/

Yesterday's news.

Todays new is that the NSW Police have said that the Paraglider
who died took a lightning hit.
Old February 21st 07, 12:05 PM
mart mart is offline
Junior Member

read all about it and see some pics of the clouds those dumbasses flew under at www.ozreport.com

Mart
Old February 21st 07, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

Mart,

I looked, but couldn't find any pictures of the storm, can you provide an
extended url link?

Also, I think the term "dumbasses" is far too harsh. We are all capable of
mistakes, even the best of us. Perhaps you didn't mean to sound so harsh?

all the best,

bumper

under at www.ozreport.com

Mart

--
mart

Old February 21st 07, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Harvey

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...4_02_07/?actio
n=view&current=IMG_1059.jpg

Is the extended URL from Ozreport.com
With a max paraspeed of about 50kph, I'd say dumbass
is a pretty fair description for these nutters!
Cheers
Pete H

under at www.ozreport.com

Mart

--
mart

Old February 21st 07, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shawn[_3_]

Peter Harvey wrote:
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...4_02_07/?actio
n=view&current=IMG_1059.jpg

That's Miller Time.

Shawn
Old February 21st 07, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Markus Graeber

Here a link to the related discussion on the paraglider forum:

http://www.paraglidingforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=10608

Interestingly enough the day of the incident was apparently an open
task where you can go wherever you like, the pilot with the longest
flight wins. Looking at the photo posted above I must say that I
wouldn't want to be where some of them went in a glider that makes 250
km/h or more if needed. Yet they choose to go that way (instead of
other directions that had awesome CUs all over the place - photos
posted elsewhere on the OZReport) in something that is limited to 50
km/h or so and can easily collapse in turbulence that we would
probably consider no big deal...

I wonder what they teach these guys about CuNims and risk assesment,
seeing a dozen or so supposedly world class paraglider pilots in a
place like that with the inherent limitations they have when they
could have gone any other way makes you wonder... Enough said,

Markus

Old February 21st 07, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Markus Graeber

Looking at the photo posted above I must say that I
wouldn't want to be where some of them went in a glider that makes 250
km/h or more if needed. Yet they choose to go that way (instead of
other directions that had awesome CUs all over the place - photos
posted elsewhere on the OZReport)...

Here the photos I was refering to showing the "hard" choices they had
to make:

http://www.ozreport.com/11.034.9

Going West instead towards the thunderstorms up North would have
looked like this:

http://www.ozreport.com/11.034.9

Not sure what was wrong with checking out those CUs.

Markus

Old February 21st 07, 11:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Markus Graeber

Ups, wrong link, West looked like this:

http://flygirl.co.za/gallery/albums/...pen2007_15.JPG

Markus