A-380 taking shape

Old May 31st 04, 05:34 AM
Quantum Foam Guy

"G Farris" wrote in message
They're building huge parts in different locations throughout France and
Europe, and there have been some complaints because they have to build new
roads to transport the parts. The complmaints center on trees and other
environmental features being disturbed by the large, new roads. No one yet

is
complaining about the cost (to the taxpayers) of the new infrastructure.

This is called "partnership" - the taxpayers pay the costs, and the

partners
take the profits!

No worries. Like in the US, everything in Europe will be made in China soon.

Old May 31st 04, 05:36 AM
leslie

Quantum Foam Guy ) wrote:
:
: No worries. Like in the US, everything in Europe will be made in
: China soon.
:

Here's an example of what Europe has to look forward to...

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory...siness/2598944
HoustonChronicle.com - Chinese coffins poised to take share from U.S.

"May 29, 2004, 6:38PM
Chinese coffins poised to take share from U.S.

By ANUPAMA CHANDRASEKARAN
Reuters News Service

NEW YORK Cheap toys, clothing, electronics, furniture now even
coffins: Chinese exporters are serving American consumers from cradle
to grave. -

Low-priced caskets made in China still represent a small portion of
the U.S. market but are viewed as a serious threat by the domestic
industry which, beyond a few major players, is highly fragmented.

U.S. casket makers, affected by rising lumber and steel prices and
sales declining with the death rate, can ill afford a fresh wave of
low-cost competitors.

"Higher commodity costs, falling death rates and imports from China
are going to make it difficult for U.S. casket makers to compete,"
said John Connors, business development manager of H.B. Maynard & Co,
a consultant to some casket companies.

Chinese-made steel caskets, priced 30 percent to 50 percent below a
similar quality American-made product, have been trickling in since
2001 via South Carolina-based automotive repair parts importer
Excalibur Tool & Equipment.

Excalibur's president, Troy Shockley, got into coffin-importing by
chance. While on a visit to China to buy repair parts, he saw a
business opportunity and took it..."

--Jerry Leslie
Note: is invalid for email
Old May 31st 04, 11:49 AM
~~ Ray ~~

Hey its not China's fault....... end of the day its all down to money.
Companies want to cut cost, so who, where ever its cheaper they will move
the operations to where ever. Also its down to goverment problem too, if
they cant get a grant, tax deduction etc etc....... why stay when its
cheaper to produce, transport and import it and still have room to make a
profit a tidy profit.

Look at the british army they dont even buy stuff from the the UK

Wembly..... who demolished and who is building it

if the economy is stable in russia, im sure companies would setup operations
there. so China is not at fault, its the people that makes the decisions.
Or look at it this way, if you had the choice of buying two identical items
one labelled made in the UK and one made in China and there was a price
difference of £10 - £1,000 your telling me you would buy the more expensive
one just because it was made in the UK.

Consumers go for the best bargain, companies go and squeeze every single
penny out of you, while the goverment automatically slap on 17.5%

Another thing these goverment agencies that give out tenders for companies
to make certain thins, these companies give out estimates etc etc. when the
company is finally selected, how come they all seem to add on extra or
double. Isnt a quote a quote....... where all possible senarios been
considered, i mean i'd be buggered if i took my car to a garage and quoted
me £500 to fix and when its dont they said due to unforseen circumstances
and cost its now £1000.

sounds like most companies doing jobs for the goverment seen to be
creaming/milking the money from the goverment.

there i feel better now, finally off my chest, sorry about the none related
topic

Old June 3rd 04, 07:11 AM
Ardna

the taxpayers pay the costs

You mean Boeing doesn't get taxpayers money ? What about all those
'special' government contracts when the pentagon is paying well over the
odds, for example the latest air tanker contract.

At least Airbus are upfront about taking taxpayers cash.

throughout France and Europe

And by the way, France is part of Europe, why single out France ?

Ardna

Old June 3rd 04, 11:27 AM
Stefan

Ardna wrote:

throughout France and Europe

And by the way, France is part of Europe, why single out France ?

I didn't write it, but I think I can answer anyway:

The Airbus is assembled in Toulouse, France. So it makes absolutely
sense to say that the parts are produced throughout France, and (even)
Europe.

Stefan

Old June 3rd 04, 01:28 PM
Nik

"Stefan" wrote in message
Ardna wrote:

throughout France and Europe

And by the way, France is part of Europe, why single out France ?

I didn't write it, but I think I can answer anyway:

The Airbus is assembled in Toulouse, France. So it makes absolutely
sense to say that the parts are produced throughout France, and (even)
Europe.

Stefan

Most of the plane is actually produced outside France. A French company only
contributed a part of the company. And yes - an Airbus is to a large extent
a Mercedes as Daimler Aerospace contributed about quite a bit to Airbus.

Nik

Old June 3rd 04, 04:00 PM
Thomas Borchert

Stefan,

The Airbus is assembled in Toulouse, France.

Hmm. The French may like to think so, but with so many major parts of
the construction and even customer delivery happening in other
countries, I wouldn't say it is "assembled" in France.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old June 3rd 04, 06:17 PM
S Green

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
Stefan,

The Airbus is assembled in Toulouse, France.

Hmm. The French may like to think so, but with so many major parts of
the construction and even customer delivery happening in other
countries, I wouldn't say it is "assembled" in France.

The wings are made in England

Old June 3rd 04, 06:42 PM
nobody

Thomas Borchert wrote:
Hmm. The French may like to think so, but with so many major parts of
the construction and even customer delivery happening in other
countries, I wouldn't say it is "assembled" in France.

In the case of the 380, a large portion of the 380 is done in Germany. There
were lots of outcries by environmentalists when Airbus started work on a large
hangar near a swamp. And there are interesting logistical problems due to
transporting such large pieces from Germany to Toulouse.

Also, the plane will be flown from toulouse to germany for final finishing
work (interiors, paint etc).
Old June 3rd 04, 08:22 PM
Stefan

Thomas Borchert wrote:

The Airbus is assembled in Toulouse, France.

Hmm. The French may like to think so, but with so many major parts of
the construction and even customer delivery happening in other
countries, I wouldn't say it is "assembled" in France.

Pfff... When there isn't a problem, we will create one. Of course the
parts are assembled all over Europe, but this doesn't change the fact
that the plane is assembled in Toulouse.

Stefan