Cessna forced down by the Feds

Old January 25th 05, 04:33 PM
C J Campbell

Default Cessna forced down by the Feds

Apparently an immigrant smuggling operation. AP is reporting a Cessna was
forced down Tuesday morning near San Antonio with four Chinese nationals on
board. The plane, N98873, is supposedly owned by Afzal Hameed and Alyce S.
Taylor.

--
Christopher J. Campbell
World Famous Flight Instructor

Ne Obliviscaris

Old January 27th 05, 04:44 PM

I've read this was a 172P model (but not confirmed it). I'm still
trying to figure out how they got four adults into the plane with a
valid W&B. I guess that an FAA action is awating this along with other
more urgent law enforcement actions!

Old January 27th 05, 06:56 PM
Peter Duniho

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've read this was a 172P model (but not confirmed it). I'm still
trying to figure out how they got four adults into the plane with a
valid W&B.

It just depends on the adults. I have flown a C172 with all seats filled by
adults. As long as the adults aren't too heavy, it's just fine.

Why anyone would immediately assume that "adult" means "170 pounds" is
beyond me. I frequently see messages like yours, implying that it's
impossible to fly four adults in a C172, written by people without even
enough imagination to consider a very realistic legal-four-adult scenario.

Pete

Old January 27th 05, 07:31 PM
Michelle P

You are thinking inside the law.
Why would anyone who is smuggling anything of flying under the radar so
to speak care about the legalities of Gross weight and Within balance?
Michelle

Old January 27th 05, 08:11 PM
Dan Girellini

Michelle P writes:

You are thinking inside the law.
Why would anyone who is smuggling anything of flying under the radar so to
speak care about the legalities of Gross weight and Within balance?
Michelle

I don't only fly within w/b specs only to follow the regs! I assume you don't
either, Michelle.

d.

Old January 27th 05, 08:27 PM
George Patterson

Michelle P wrote:

Why would anyone who is smuggling anything of flying under the radar so
to speak care about the legalities of Gross weight and Within balance?

Well, to avoid a stall-spin on takeoff, for one thing. Were I smuggling stuff or
people, I pobably wouldn't be horribly concerned with exceeding the maximum
gross weight limitations, but I would certainly want to keep things inside the
vertical boundaries of the envelope.

George Patterson
He who marries for money earns every penny of it.
Old January 27th 05, 11:20 PM
C J Campbell

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've read this was a 172P model (but not confirmed it). I'm still
trying to figure out how they got four adults into the plane with a
valid W&B. I guess that an FAA action is awating this along with other
more urgent law enforcement actions!

Ah, I thought it was four Chinese nationals plus the pilot.

Old January 27th 05, 11:24 PM
C J Campbell

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've read this was a 172P model (but not confirmed it). I'm still
trying to figure out how they got four adults into the plane with a
valid W&B. I guess that an FAA action is awating this along with other
more urgent law enforcement actions!

You are right, it was a 172P according to the database. So, if the pilot was
smuggling four Chinese on board, then it was a pretty tight fit.

I don't really see a problem with getting four adults in a 172. You can do
it easily if you aren't carrying a full fuel load.

Old January 27th 05, 11:26 PM
Happy Dog

"C J Campbell" christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.
wrote in message
oups.com...
I've read this was a 172P model (but not confirmed it). I'm still
trying to figure out how they got four adults into the plane with a
valid W&B. I guess that an FAA action is awating this along with other
more urgent law enforcement actions!

You are right, it was a 172P according to the database. So, if the pilot
was
smuggling four Chinese on board, then it was a pretty tight fit.

I don't really see a problem with getting four adults in a 172. You can do
it easily if you aren't carrying a full fuel load.

Especially if they're Chinese. Wonder if the standard weights are different
there?

moo

Old January 28th 05, 12:15 AM
Mike W.

Don't forget, you have 120 lbs cargo capacity behind the rear seats as well,
a small person ( young adult or female maybe?) could lay down back there. If
you are smuggling people or goods you really don't care that they aren't
properly strapped in. So it is possible to carry a pilot plus 4 adult
passengers. Anybody care to work up a theoretical w&b on this?