Q: What can a Commercial Helicopter Pilot Licence holder expect to earn?

Old October 7th 03, 12:26 AM
Ken Sandyeggo

From someone who's been around the block a few times, if you pick
training and a profession based solely on what it pays, you're doomed
to miserableness. If you don't love, or at least like a lot what
you're doing, you may as well go straight to hell, do not pass "GO"
and do not collect the $200. More pay is way less desireable than
doing something you love to do. I finally got bored with my sign shop
after almost 13 years, sold it and am now almost halfway through a
course in nursing so I can work with kids, something I first thought
of about 35 years ago. The next oldest student in my class is 18
years my junior and I'm 40 years older than the youngest one. Save
working for starving wages, do what your heart tells you. Don't let
anything stop you or anyone talk you out of it. There'll be struggles
and hard times, but in the end, you'll be much richer than the guy
that slugs it out at a job he hates for 40 years in order to get a
pension......that may or may not be there when he expects it. Just
had an ex-sister-in-law that stayed devoted to ATT in Chicago for over
22 years, commuting over 90 miles per day via car and train one-way to
get there. She would have been eligible for her pension in a couple
of years and was looking forward to it. "Sorry, we're closing the
department. Here's a couple months pay and good luck in your job
hunt." (Sound of door slamming behind her). She gets diddly, because
the pension "benefit" was completely company funded, so she had no
vested interest in it at all. That sounds good when you're first
hired; a free pension. Her pension was worth exactly what she put
into it....zilch.

Ken J. - Sandy Eggo

wrote in message ...
"Trentus" wrote:

recent unexpected inheritance than spend it on a CPL (H)
The minimum wage was around $34,000 which is only $6 grand more than what I
made last year as a cleaner (janitor for the US readers) and rises to about
$48,456. Now bearing in mind these are $-Aus not $US, those are very poor

Have you considered a CFI license? Over here, a lot of guys get that
before going all out commercial. That way, other people are paying
you to get more hours in a helicopter. I don't know anything about
the license structure over in AU, but I assume its similar.

Yet to do a $10,000 IT degree, with guaranteed placement afterwards, would

Guaranteed placemment? I hope that this is correct, but here in the
states, an IT degree is currently one of the worst possible degrees
you can get. There are no jobs once you get it and you are considered
too old to do the work when you hit 30 years of age. Of course,
you'll never here that bit of truth from any school. This applies
advanced IT degrees as well.

I suggest that if you are looking for a carreer change that you first
look in the newspaper and find what fields are actually hiring. Where
I live, the medical field takes up the largest percentage of
employment ads. The IT field, when listed at all, takes up the
smallest.

Good luck.

Dennis.

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A RECESSION is when you know somebody who is out of work.
A DEPRESSION is when YOU are out of work.
A RECOVERY is when all the H-1B's are out of work."
To find out what an H-1B is and how they are putting
Americans out of work, visit the following web site
and click on the "Exporting America" CNN news video:
http://zazona.com/ShameH1B/MediaClips.htm
Old October 7th 03, 02:33 PM

ryuzu wrote:

The Flying Instruction route is a common entry point however the research I
did into this did throw up one point that's worth bearing in mind. In
Australia you can get a HCPL with 105hrs, but need 400hrs to be able to
instruct.

Then the first thing to do is check to see if a US issued CFI license
is transferrable or usable in AU. To get a HCPL over here, the min is
only 40 hrs with 60 typical. In other words, if it is usable in AU,
then come here for a month or two and get your license. I know that
there are a lot of non-US students taking lessons at both flight
schools that I frequent. As odd as it sounds, the US is rumored to be
among the cheapest places to get a pilot license of any type. It may
be worth his while to go this route. Heli lessons in an R22 average
$200/hr.

Old October 8th 03, 10:03 AM
Trentus

"Ken Sandyeggo" wrote in message
From someone who's been around the block a few times, if you pick
[...]

Thanks for that, it pretty much sums up the way I feel.
However, I'm not looking into the money in order to make the decision, I'm
looking into the practicalities of a decision I've just about made.

Unfortunately the amount of money I unexpectedly came across is just barely
enough to do the course, so it won't pay for many extra hours above the
licence itself. So I'll end up spending $40K and have 105 hours clocked up.
If I can't then get some extra hours up at someone else's expense, my
current job certainly won't provide for them with a wife, kids, mortgage,
and car loan to feed. I need to be practical about it, cause the other
course of action with $40k would mean, NO car loan, HALF the mortgage, and a
wife who would then be able to quit her job and work part time - which has
been her dream for a long time. Her dream, or mine? As much as I like
doing things for ME, I love doing things for her, and so if I can't increase
my income from this dream, then I'd rather help her meet her dream.

Besides, I'm over 38, I'd be 39 by the time I finished the course, that
means trying to find work at 40, with only 105 hours clocked up. I don't see
that happening.
I would think, that 105 hours and then basically NONE, might actually hurt
far more than never having flown.

Oh well, it's given me food for thought, 45 hours less time to get the
licence, means 45 more lots of $350 in my pocket, which means more than
enough to go to the US, do the licence, come back, and also spend a nice
chunk on the Missus, but I'd need to look into the requirements once I get
back here, regarding changing the licence over.

Trentus

Old October 8th 03, 10:06 AM
Trentus

wrote in message
ryuzu wrote:

The Flying Instruction route is a common entry point however the

research I
did into this did throw up one point that's worth bearing in mind. In
Australia you can get a HCPL with 105hrs, but need 400hrs to be able to
instruct.

Then the first thing to do is check to see if a US issued CFI license
is transferrable or usable in AU. To get a HCPL over here, the min is
only 40 hrs with 60 typical. In other words, if it is usable in AU,
then come here for a month or two and get your license. I know that
there are a lot of non-US students taking lessons at both flight
schools that I frequent. As odd as it sounds, the US is rumored to be
among the cheapest places to get a pilot license of any type. It may
be worth his while to go this route. Heli lessons in an R22 average
$200/hr.

$350 an hour here, but then with our dollar only worth 69cents over there,
that ends up about the same amount, and I'd have to pay for the airfare and
accomodation to get there.
But then, at 105 hours here (125 hours if the final 30 hours are completed
in a time 3 months) versus your 60 hours, those 45 extra multiples of $350
would easily pay the costs of travel/accomodation. But what will I be up for
upon return? And it's going to be hard enough to do anything with the
licence with 105 hours clocked up, 60 hours sure aint going to get me much
paid work here.

Trentus

Old October 8th 03, 04:02 PM

"Trentus" wrote:

If I can't then get some extra hours up at someone else's expense, my
current job certainly won't provide for them with a wife, kids, mortgage,
and car loan to feed. I need to be practical about it, cause the other
course of action with $40k would mean, NO car loan, HALF the mortgage, and a
wife who would then be able to quit her job and work part time - which has

Be cautious when partially paying off a mortgage. I have seen some
here that consider extra payments as payments toward interest and not
principal. I suggest that you refinance at a lower principal rather
than try to deal with the current mortgage. To be honest, although I
love helicopters, if I were in your shoes, practicality would make me
choose this option.

Oh well, it's given me food for thought, 45 hours less time to get the
licence, means 45 more lots of $350 in my pocket, which means more than
enough to go to the US, do the licence, come back, and also spend a nice
chunk on the Missus, but I'd need to look into the requirements once I get
back here, regarding changing the licence over.

The time to look into the transferability is before you come over
here. I don't know anything about AU law to help you on that.
Nevertheless, even at a 69 cent conversion, those AU $350 hours are
costing you over US $240. If you get 2 hours a day, that US $80 daily
savings would more than take care of your loging expenses. Also, some
of the heli schools have contracted lodging which brings the cost down
even more. So, like you said, with air fare and lodging, the hourly
cost would be about the same, however, its the total number of hours
required. Also, the FAA has approved certain flight simulators that
some schools have for credit toward your license. Up to 7 hours I
think. The dual sim hours are only about $100.

Just remember, a paycheck in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Old October 9th 03, 01:49 PM
ryuzu

I thought I'd post a little more of my research into Aus vs US for
helo training. I'm not a HPPL or CPL or anything, this is just the
research I've done to reach my decision. It may well be incorrect, and
if some kind soul corrects this then thanks to them.

So a HCPL package looks cheaper in Australia vs US - i.e. it's cheaper
to get the CPL certificate in AUS, but looking beneath that there are
a couple of important facts relating to hours.

Ultimately sufficient hours are what will get you your first and
subsequent flying jobs and without sufficient hours a job will be next
to impossible regardless pof having a CPL certificate.

The most efficient way into a paid job is through flying instruction.
I guess there are some who have managed to jump into some
non-instruction work but increasingly that seems almost impossible due
to insurance problems for low hour pilots.

In the US a PPL/CPL/CFI will take 150hrs (I know another posted
mentioned 60hrs - I'm not certain what they were referring to for
60hrs, presumably the flat CPL).

At 150hrs in the US you can instruct, although realistically you'll
probably need 200hrs (certainly for R22 instructing) as a minimum.

In Aus though, you can get a CPL with just 105hrs, but you can't
instruct until you reach 400hrs. So you see, the paper is cheaper in
Aus (less hours to CPL) but the route to a job is longer (400hrs) and
therefore more expensive than the US.

So far then the US is looking good. But then the fun begins. Your US
CFI is of course no use to you in Australia with just 150hrs, so you
have to make up the difference somehow. You could just hour build in
Aus, or the US, or you could instruct in the US.

In here is possible option 1 although it's a long shot. Getting back
from the US with your FAA stuff, you do the Aus conversions. Then
you've got around 150hr Aus CPL. This ight put you in a better
position to get a job in Australia than a 105hr CPL. But I think
either is a long shot to be fair.

Staying in the US to do someinstructing (and build hours) is option 2.
US instructing doesn't command very large pay - somewhere between
US$10 and US$20 per FLYING hour. Let's say you manage 14 flying hours
a week on average, your pay would be US$140 to US$280 a week (around
US$600 to US$1000 per month). However the final probelm is that to
instruct in the US, you need a suitable Visa and in total probably 1.5
to years over there (9 months for the training and the rest of the
time to work). The training VISA is easy to get, the working part less
so but doable.

Having gone the US route, you'll need to convert your licenses to the
Aus equivalents before working/instructing - that'll be at least some
written exams and probably a flight test too - not that much money in
the scheme of things but by then you'll have pretty much blown
whatever initial investment you had.

Now for a single guy or even a childless couple with a small capital
sum the whole thing is feasible...for someone with children, later in
life with a pretty settled view of the world, crossing into Helo
flying is going to take not just a big commitment of cash, but also
personal time and significant upheaval. It's this latter part that
will be the clincher - for example, are you ready for your family to
be out in the US for 2 years with a low income etc.

Things like the house and car will probably have to be sold too - you
might get by without the money from them, but the US won't give you a
VISA unless you can prove you can pay the course fees AND live (the
whole family btw) without any kind of income for the whole period
you're out there.

The final point I can make is that even after you get to say the 500
to 1000hr mark - it's still tricky. Most of my research suggests that
those early years (perhaps 5 or so if things go well) are going to be
pretty nomadic if you're going to get anywhere. I saw someone describe
helo work as living where the dirt trail ends because that's where
helo's are most useful. Not all that conducive to family life
(assuming the family even agree to come with you!).

So there you go, my studying of the subject all shows it to be tricky,
not for the faint hearted and if things go well you're looking at 5
years of relative hardship if you're enjoying a fairly comfortable
life now.

If after weighing everything up you still go for it, then best of
luck.

r.

Old October 9th 03, 10:40 PM
Tim

"Trentus" wrote in message
wrote in message
ryuzu wrote:

[...]

As I have a passion for helicopters, I keep track of this newsgroup, but
though I was fortunate enough to be sponsored by the RAF to gain my fixed
wing PPL about 16 years ago, I have never been able to fulfil my dream of
flying rotary wing. Indeed, finances and job commitments are such that I
have had to let even my fixed wing PPL go by the board. :-(

It's nowhere near the same as "real" flying, but the way I indulge my
aforementioned passion now is by flying R/C helicopters. Like I say, nowhere
near the same as the real thing, but a good "second best". A lot cheaper
also...

Even so, I still intend to have at least an hour or two of flying lessons in
a heli, just so I don't go to my grave wondering what it would have been
like to have a go.

Tim

---

Old October 10th 03, 01:23 AM
ryuzu

Yeah that's what I thought but the whole thing has so many options I didn't
wnat to second guess it was HPPL only...

Thanks for the update!

r.

Hi Sherri,

I was the one who said that. You only need a min of 40 hours to get
your HPPL with the average being 60. If I said HCPL, it was a typo.

Dennis.

Old October 15th 03, 03:59 PM
ops

ChopperJon2 wrote:

I would'nt fly a helicopter in Australia if i was you. They do not keep track
of hours in use, which determines a maintenance schedule. Come to the usa
Pompano Helicopters

I beg your pardon!

And don't just quote one accident report from station properties.

Whats your reasons for the statement?