A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Crazy Idea # 54-1A i.e. Erase all State Soaring Records every 10 years..

Old April 18th 20, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default Crazy Idea # 54-1A i.e. Erase all State Soaring Records every 10 years..

Like Many others, every spring, I think about attempting some state records..
In my world that would be Colorado and Utah. Maybe NV.
So I look through the existing records and realize that there are none in Colorado I would have any chance of. Tom Serkowski, Dave Leonard and Bob Faris and others have set the bar so high, there all are basically unbeatable.
In Utah the bar is also set very very high. Same in Nevada.

So in the interest of promoting soaring, flying tasks, and getting more pilots involved to a higher level;

What you would think about erasing all STATE records every 10 years?

Everyone who has a State Certificate now ( I've got 2 ) would keep them, but we would just start anew, like the OLC does every year. This would create alot of work for the State Record Keepers, for sure, but it might be worth it to bolster interest in this exciting aspect of our dwindling sport.

Any one who has attempted a State Record knows what goes into it, alot really, and its easy to screw it up.

Thumb up or thumbs down on this idea?
Nick
T
Old April 18th 20, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Crazy Idea # 54-1A i.e. Erase all State Soaring Records every 10 years..

👎
Old April 18th 20, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gkemp
external usenet poster

Nick
T

I hold several state records in Utah still, and it is nice to still see them there after I retired from soaring 13 years ago. So I would have to say thumbs down.
Old April 19th 20, 12:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Daniel Sazhin[_2_]
external usenet poster

Hey Nick,

There are two ideas here. One is to reward people for pursuing declared tasks and giving them some degree of recognition. The other is erasing records..

Records are records for a reason. They are the official recorded limit of what has ever been done in a state, country, or the world. They just *are*. Erasing them does not change that someone has already done it at a certain performance!

That said, the idea that recognizing that a pilot for flying declared tasks (100km, 300km, 500km, 1000km triangles, 3tp flights, etc etc.) is a very reasonable idea. That's kind of the point of the badge program... but other organizations also have other additional elements or points of recognition.

If Record Keepers or the SSA was to provide a certificate for folks completing these kinds of flights, I think that has merit! They are great personal goals!

All the best,
Daniel
Old April 19th 20, 12:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight
external usenet poster

On Saturday, April 18, 2020 at 5:27:26 PM UTC-4, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Like Many others, every spring, I think about attempting some state records.
So I look through the existing records and realize that there are none in Colorado I would have any chance of. Tom Serkowski, Dave Leonard and Bob Faris and others have set the bar so high, there all are basically unbeatable.

So in the interest of promoting soaring, flying tasks, and getting more pilots involved to a higher level;

Everyone who has a State Certificate now ( I've got 2 ) would keep them, but we would just start anew, like the OLC does every year. This would create alot of work for the State Record Keepers, for sure, but it might be worth it to bolster interest in this exciting aspect of our dwindling sport.

Any one who has attempted a State Record knows what goes into it, alot really, and its easy to screw it up.

Nick
T

OLC, or something like it, could very easily do just what you want.

Leave the state records alone please. Let those remain all time best performance in category. That has its place too.

T8
Old April 19th 20, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, April 18, 2020 at 2:27:26 PM UTC-7, Nick Kennedy wrote:

Nick
T

We could give a Participation Award every time you try a record. Then the pilot that tried the most would get the record. Ha!!! Ha!!!

Richard

Richard
Old April 19th 20, 01:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

On Saturday, April 18, 2020 at 3:27:26 PM UTC-6, Nick Kennedy wrote:

Nick
T

Nick,

I once proposed the US adopt the BGA Ladder system. It has morphed a bit since then, but poke around this site.
https://www.bgaladder.net/

I suspect we might have to include a regional filter.

Unlike OLC, a pilot would actually have to belong to a club/chapter to post for it.

I doubt SSA will change the State Record system, other than to possibly change the record submission process.

Frank Whiteley
Old April 19th 20, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

Kansas Soaring Association awards annual travelling trophies for.many of the state record categories especially the 100,200,300 km o/r or triangle speed, as well as the best distance flight of the year (closed or free). This way even if we don't have a state record year, we still have something to fly for.
Old April 19th 20, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]
external usenet poster

Ok
Thanks for the good responses.
I'm just trying Ideas to keep existing pilots engaged in the sport.
Somehow.
What about this idea.
At the end of the year the magazine lists all the best scores in the various categories of record attempts? State by State.
There's so little that's interesting now in the magazine and so much "filler crap" that I'm sure the Mag could spare a few pages for these top record attempt flights being listed.
I mean they burn pages every month in the Milestone column of pilots we will NEVER see again.
And those couple of monthly columns that I can't even read their so bad/boring.
Good Idea? Or too much work?
Anybody else got ANY ideas? Anybody?
Nick
T

Old April 19th 20, 03:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]
external usenet poster

We have a couple traveling trophies. I recommend you establish one or more of your own. Then you can challenge yourself to not have someone else take it away from you. Perhaps talk to your SSA State Governor or Record keeper about it.

We have a 300km FAI triangle Speed trophy, who ever does it the fastest get there name on the trophy and gets the trophy to display for a year.

We also have an annual Goal flight trophy, Our SSA State Governor set a couple goal flights. Everyone who completes the goal flight gets there name on the trophy.