Fatal Injury: hit by the prop

Old January 26th 05, 06:14 PM
Gary G

The whole thought literally makes me sick to my stomach.
Joking about "Darwin Awards" here is annapropriate.
Those award require exceptional stupidity.
What happened here is a matter of carelessness or pure accident.

I'm sure these folks family don't appreciate the thought of calling
them Darwin Award recipients - these folks are bright enough to
earn a pilot's license.

If I were unfortunate enough to see an accident like this, I'm sure it would haunt
me for the rest of my life.

Old January 26th 05, 06:35 PM
Trent Moorehead

"Dale" wrote in message

snip
The pilot got out, ducked under the strut and
walked into the back of the prop. It cut him into 4 distinctly seperate
pieces.

Oh dear Lord. That had to be terrible to see.

-Trent

Old January 26th 05, 08:42 PM
Dale

In article ,
"Trent Moorehead" wrote:

"Dale" wrote in message

snip
The pilot got out, ducked under the strut and
walked into the back of the prop. It cut him into 4 distinctly seperate
pieces.

Oh dear Lord. That had to be terrible to see.

It certainly put a damper on the day. Within a few weeks I also watched
a J-3 spin in just after takeoff killing the CFI and student. I have no
doubt that flying can be dangerous. I think it's helped to keep me
alive.

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html
Old January 27th 05, 04:26 PM
Bob Chilcoat

My instructor (a 78-year-old veteran with many thousands of hours) just
climbed out. After my first solo circuit, I was horrified to see him walk
in between the wing and the prop (Cherokee) to tell me through the pilots'
window to make another two circuits. He was very careful, but it still
scared me more than my first solo :-) My personal rule is always to shut
down if there is anyone getting in or out. I've even shut down when someone
was nearby on the ramp and they didn't look like they knew what they were
doing.

There was a ground person killed at Newark last year. She walked up to pull
the chocks so a plane could depart, and just walked into the prop.

When I worked at the Upstate Medical Center in Syracuse a few years ago, the
National Guard brought in a soldier who had walked into the tail rotor of a
helicopter. His face (all the soft tissue) had been sliced cleanly off. An
hour later a jeep arrived with a couple of guardsmen with something wrapped
carefully in a towel. They told the medical staff that someone had found
his face on the ramp and were wondering if the surgeons could re-use it!
Too long without circulation to be viable, but the story sure made the
rounds at the hospital. The guy lived, but required a LOT of reconstructive
surgery.

I'm really obsessive about propeller safety as a result.

"Jay Beckman" wrote in message
"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 19:49:00 GMT, "G.R. Patterson III"
wrote in ::

I'll shut down if I think there's a chance they could get near the prop,
even if
I think they don't intend to do so.

Flight instructors soloing student pilots are faced with this issue.
It would be interesting to know their personal procedure. Do they
leave the student at the controls with the engine running when they
send them on their first solo, or require a re-light? If the former,
it could unintentionally set a poor precedent for students.

Mine made me shut down.

Jay B

Right prop, wrong prop? Wood prop, metal prop? Gus Rasch Aerobatics 1 February 14th 08 10:18 PM
Ivo Prop on O-320 Dave S Home Built 14 October 15th 04 03:04 AM
Prop Pitch Question Eugene Wendland Home Built 2 April 25th 04 03:22 AM
IVO props... comments.. Dave S Home Built 16 December 6th 03 11:43 PM
Metal Prop vs. Wood Prop Larry Smith Home Built 21 September 26th 03 07:45 PM