Electronic paper charts (Eflybook efb-1)

Old October 4th 07, 04:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Justin Gombos

Default Electronic paper charts (Eflybook efb-1)

Does anyone here use the eFlyBook EFB-1 (which is essentially an iRex
Iliad w/ charts) - or the like?

I'd like to get an idea of how practical it is. I saw a demo of the
consumer (non-aviation) version, and the page turning seemed slow.
Though it might be acceptible if it's organized well enough to go
straight to the page w/out menus.

Does it adequitely replace VFR sectionals? Since it's not color, I'm
wondering if it will significantly compromise on the time it takes to
interpret the information.

--
PM instructions: caesar cipher the alpha chars in my addy (key = +3).
Old October 4th 07, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Travis Marlatte

"Viperdoc" wrote in message
I have had an eFlyBook since the release a few years ago. The strengths are

I too was a fairly early adopter. ViperDoc is rigtht on.

I bought mine just after the announcement at Oshkosh 2006. I had to get mine
replaced within a month due to a damaged screen. I use mine quite a bit and
it is always in my briefcase or flight bag. I bought a hard cover case and
for more than a year, I have had little trouble with it. However, I
currently have a black horizontal line about halfway down the screen. It's
still totally usable so I'm not willing to spend the money to get it fixed
yet.

I use it almost daily for note taking and reading during my commute. I have
bought a few ebooks and I like the way that works.

In the cockpit, it is a useful resource. I have checklists, references, and
FAA/FSS phone numbers in PDFs. Very handy. I have used them occasionally.
Because of its fragile screen, I do still tend to print out approach charts
for the primary airports I plan to visit as a backup.

I also keep a copy of the all of AF/Ds in PDFs on a USB stick. I wrote some
Perl scripts that keeps copies on my PC up to date. The thing I'm playing
with now is keeping a set of airport references from AOPA up to date. That's
a bit tougher because it's a combination of web pages and PDFs.

There is now a second generation available from iRex. I have no idea whether
myairplane.com is adopting that new form or not. It sounds like an evolution
rather than revolution. Basically the same systems with a bigger battery and
better structural support for the screen.

myairplane.com has been pretty quite for the past several months. No new
software updates since last February. There is a new version of the OS
available and I'm hoping that they at least integrate that. I am a little
nervous that they are falling behind and loosing their momentum.

For me, it was an investment. It replaced an expensive subscription to Jepp
charts. If it lasts another six months, it will have paid for itself. It is
a great tool that carries all charts for the US in a convenient package. For
me, it provides peace of mind that I can divert anywhere when the time
comes. The fact that it provides other usefulness is a perk.
--
-------------------------------
Travis

Old October 9th 07, 04:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Justin Gombos

Thanks for the feedback folks. It was quite helpful.

I forgot about the inability to zoom, and the hardware is too
temperamental from what you folks are saying. The product is only
half-baked, and priced as though it's fully featured. It doesn't even
begin to serve VFR pilots, so I'll pass for now; unless I get an urge
to write my own software.

Please post back if iRex makes any significant progress in later
versions (assuming the firmware is flashable).

--
PM instructions: caesar cipher the alpha chars in my addy (key = +3).