We're getting old, folks...

Old December 21st 05, 02:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default We're getting old, folks...

As long as you don't put a price tag on your labor...

Some of those homebuilts are pretty cool but the 2,000 - 5,000 hour build
times are deal-breakers for many.

Marco
"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
nk.net...
The biggest problem is cost. The future of GA is homebuilding.

Mike
MU-2

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
Here's the average age of pilots, comparing 1993 to 2003:

....................1993 -- 2003
Student ........ 33.7 - 34.0
Rec ..............45.5 - 51.3
Private ..........42.7 - 46.5
Commercial ...41.9 - 45.6
ATP ..............44.1 - 47.0

Here are the number of private certificates issued:

1971-49,000
1976-55,000
1981-45,000
1986-34,000
1991-49,000
1996-24,000
2001-25,000
2004-23,000

Both of these are a one-way trips, ladies and gentlemen. What the heck
kind of GA are we going to have in 25 years, at this rate? What can
we do to arrest this rate of decline?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

http://www.usenet.com
Old December 21st 05, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Except that the latest NTSB report makes that statement debatable. The folks
that learned before 25 were shown to have different results.

Marco Leon (not saying I agree with the conclusion)

"Sylvain" wrote in message
Jay Honeck wrote:
Here's the average age of pilots, comparing 1993 to 2003:

another way to look at it is that it could be a sign of
improved safety (greater survival rate)

--Sylvain (optimist)

http://www.usenet.com

Old December 21st 05, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Marco Leon" mleon(at)optonline.net wrote in message
As long as you don't put a price tag on your labor...

Some of those homebuilts are pretty cool but the 2,000 - 5,000 hour build
times are deal-breakers for many.

Even more important, very few people have the desire to spend their time in
this pursuit. Drinking beer has a better time payoff than building
airplanes.

Old December 21st 05, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Most take less than that to build but I agree with you in principal. The
other benefits (besides initial cost) are that the builder can do his own
maitenance instead of paying $80hr for someone else to do it.

Mike
MU-2

Old December 21st 05, 09:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Cost isn't the only thing. The culture has changed.
A lot of the old farts I fly with got started because they were the kid
that used to hang out at the airport... willing to wash an airplane for
a ride.
These days, it seems like a young kid riding his bike to the airport to
hang out all day and take rides from strangers is a rarity. How would
you handle the situation?

Second, modern old farts are mostly intolerant of the mistakes and
misjudgements of youth. They do not accept anything they consider to be
reckless or foolish.
(and would be the first to get you kicked off a field for it)
These are the same people that looped their cubs and rolled their
luscombes in there day at my current age.
There is no doubt (and I have seen it happen) where that type of
behavior has had a youngster kicked off an airport. I am not saying it
isn't the right thing to do, but it was different in the old days.
In my area, the interaction between the public and the local airport has
diminished. We don't have the flyins that the public is welcome at as
often (if we do, we try to keep the public roped off from our planes and
consequently us...)
The culture has changed.

Mike

Old December 21st 05, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Under the heading of "culture," I would also add that the "wonder" of flight
has been diminished somewhat by technology. Photorealistic flight
simulators, free online satellite photos, internet video sharing, and
increased accessibility of commercial flight have all limited the uniqueness
of the appeal in flying your own (or rented) aircraft.

That being said, it can go the other way too. I was a flight-sim junkie for
years until me and a fellow sim-junkie I worked with had a conversation
about the latest flight sim that progressed into the feasibility of flying
for real. We're both now private pilots.

Marco Leon

Old December 22nd 05, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In counting old farts, how many are pilots because the Servicemens'
Readjustment Act paid for their primary flight training? When did
that end? 1970 sounds about right, but it might have been a little
later. I can't figure how to google up the information.

I trained at that time, but I wasn't eligible for the GI Bill. I did
see a lot of mom-and-pop flight schools go under when the program
ended.

I'd also like to see how the numbers of new pilots in Jay's lists
correllate with economic recessions and airline mergers and
bankruptcies.

Don

Don't forget to stop by your hospital & donate some blood folks. Flyingmonk Piloting 30 September 10th 05 03:52 AM
Lucky folks David Lesher Owning 9 August 5th 05 02:11 PM
Attention P4M-1Q folks JJ McIntyre Naval Aviation 0 June 4th 04 09:51 PM
Thanks for your help, folks! Jay Honeck Piloting 2 July 16th 03 05:32 PM