Fuel Prices

Old September 8th 05, 03:25 PM
Ross Richardson

Default Fuel Prices

We just got a new load of fuel yesterday and the price jumped from $2.94
per gallon to $3.52 per gallon for 100LL. I will have to pull the MP
back a little more.
--
Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old September 8th 05, 03:40 PM
N93332

"Ross Richardson" wrote in message
We just got a new load of fuel yesterday and the price jumped from $2.94
per gallon to $3.52 per gallon for 100LL. I will have to pull the MP back
a little more.

Been 'lucky' so far! Our local strip went from $2.59 to $3 per gallon for
100LL a couple months ago. Checked the price this last Monday and it was
still at $3 when auto gas in town was selling for $3.09...

Where can I find an STC for putting 100LL in my car??? ;-)

-Greg B.

Old September 8th 05, 04:49 PM
Maule Driver

It's nice if your local supply keeps the price based on what they paid
rather than what they's have to pay to replace it. Our guys are doing
the former and I thanks them.

Now the big question is whether to fill our private tank as soon as it
empties or wait a few weeks for the price to peak and hopefully come
down just a bit. Who has the crystal ball?

Old September 8th 05, 05:24 PM
Matt Barrow

"Maule Driver" wrote in message
om...
It's nice if your local supply keeps the price based on what they paid
rather than what they's have to pay to replace it. Our guys are doing
the former and I thanks them.

He might not have enough cash to replace it, gallon-for-gallon (unless he's
really loaded which is unlikely) if the price spikes continue.

Then where would you be?

--
Matt
---------------------

Old September 8th 05, 06:05 PM
Maule Driver

Matt Barrow wrote:
"Maule Driver" wrote in message
It's nice if your local supply keeps the price based on what they paid
rather than what they's have to pay to replace it. Our guys are doing
the former and I thanks them.

He might not have enough cash to replace it, gallon-for-gallon (unless he's
really loaded which is unlikely) if the price spikes continue.

Then where would you be?

That's why it's 'nice' and I'm 'thankful'. If I was running the store,
I'd be charging current replacement price. But in this case, it's not
exactly a store, rather it's a community tank they are running like
they'd want it run for themselves.

That's what is so great about 'community' and being 'nice'. By the
same token, one of 'them' is parking in my hangar because he is a
neighbor and his new hangar is under construction. And I'm holding up
on some workshop construction in same hangar until he has a place to
hangar his plane.

Community.
Old September 8th 05, 06:31 PM
Dan Youngquist

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, Maule Driver wrote:

It's nice if your local supply keeps the price based on what they paid
rather than what they's have to pay to replace it. Our guys are doing
the former and I thanks them.

It's nice that they want to be nice, but if/when the price drops, they're
going to be in big trouble. No one is going to line up to buy the
expensive fuel they bought at the top of the market, and they'll have to
sell it at a loss. Whether the price is rising or falling, the only way
for the seller to come out even is to price according to current
replacement cost. They need to make a little extra money when the price
is rising, because they _will_ lose money when the price drops. The
narrower the profit margin, the more it hurts.

Oddly, the folks who get hopping mad at merchants who won't give them a
deal when prices are rising, are never around begging to pay a higher
price so the merchant doesn't lose his shirt when prices are falling.

-Dan
Old September 8th 05, 06:51 PM
George Patterson

Matt Barrow wrote:

He might not have enough cash to replace it, gallon-for-gallon (unless he's
really loaded which is unlikely) if the price spikes continue.

He may also run into another problem, though my crystal ball says he won't. If
you buy a tank of gas at a peak price and index your price to the price you
paid, you may be stuck with that tank if the price then drops. This happened at
Lakewood airport two years ago.

George Patterson
Old September 8th 05, 07:33 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"George Patterson" wrote in message
Matt Barrow wrote:

He might not have enough cash to replace it, gallon-for-gallon (unless
he's
really loaded which is unlikely) if the price spikes continue.

He may also run into another problem, though my crystal ball says he
won't. If you buy a tank of gas at a peak price and index your price to
the price you paid, you may be stuck with that tank if the price then
drops. This happened at Lakewood airport two years ago.

I've seen that happen. The best bet in a fluctuating market is to by as
little as you can while the price is high and as much as you can when it is
lower. Since we don't know what the OP's tank and supplier situation this
may not be an option.

Old September 8th 05, 08:22 PM
Maule Driver

I see what you mean. Managing a smallish private tank is one thing but
I can see in a commercial op where people exercise more mobility, it's
the only way to do it. And when price change radically, everyone gets
mobile.

Old September 8th 05, 09:43 PM
Ross Richardson

We only have a 8000 gal tank and with the fuel flow have to fill it
fairly often. We also get hit sometime with not being able to take a
full load unless we have someone lined up to split the load. We are at a
public owned airport.

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
KSWI