Tow position, posting and the truth

Old December 6th 03, 12:31 AM
Bill Wallace

Default Tow position, posting and the truth

Mark Boyd from first post:

So for my flight review in Avenal yesterday, we did a bunch
of slack line corrections. We did them during one tow,
but broke the rope. 150' of rope ($12), two schweizer rings ($20),
one tost ring ($35), a carabiner (sp?), two half-wiffle balls,
and a short section of "weak link" then back-released from
the 2-33. It plumeted swiftly into a thankfully barren
plowed field below.

A few tows later, we mentioned to the tug pilot we were gonna
try slack line again. He wised up and took off the weak
link assembly ($68) leaving just wiffle and a $10 schweizer
ring.

After a dozen more slack rope practice tries, we broke
that rope. The ring and 10' of rope back released and
plumetted into another (thank god) barren field.

Then in response to my posting:
The only time I have ever seen a tow rope break is during an
intentional rope break manuver.

Mark replied:
Same here. The only time I've ever seen two rope breaks was during
our two intentional rope break manuevers.

Mark, it seems to me as your first post was misleading. " we did a
bunch
of slack line corrections. We did them during one tow,
but broke the rope." You give no indication that you were performing
an intentional rope break manuver.

Now, I believe it is important to know how to, and to practice (at
least once) breaking the tow rope. Just as important as the practice
of landing on tow.
The assertion of one of the respondants to your post is sorely
mistaken when claiming that it is impossible for the tow rope to get
so much slack as to get behind the main wing. I have seen it twice,
once from each end of the rope. Will it jam the controls?.....maybe,
maybe not but it certainly scared the living daylights out of me! I
landed straight ahead at the abandoned Manzanar airfield just north of
Lone Pine (I requested a tow to the Inyos from 026,).

You pose some good questions. I don't think you need to BS or bait the
group to get information. Just lay it out honestly. Again, I am not
sending this with ill will. My direct style is meant to cut through
the (my) BS and get to the point. I'm getting too old to mess around.
Good flying,
Bill