Anywhere Map WX vs Garmin 396

Old July 13th 06, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jonathan Goodish

Default Anywhere Map WX vs Garmin 396

In article .com,
"Grumman 236" wrote:
Yes. Go to KPIT and look within 200 miles to find numerous airports
with missing or incorrect frequencies, runway information, incorrect
MEAs on airways, missing obstacles (used to be everything under 400AGL,
not sure whether they fixed this), and mislabeled roads. Need I go on?

Yes, if you would be so kind as to list an airport, nav-aid, fix or
obstacle that is correct in the Jeppesen database and incorrect in
AnywhereMap's FAA database, it would help immensely!

You'll have to do your own legwork on this since I no longer own my AWM
system. Look, you'll find them. And, by the way, Control Vision has
NEVER to my knowledge disputed the poor data. I believe that CV and
Jepp get their data from the same source (government), but Jepp corrects
it and CV does not. CV has had plans for quite a while to start
correcting the data, but it hasn't happened yet. It's just one of their
many promises on which they have not delivered.

JKG
Old July 13th 06, 07:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jonathan Goodish

In article ,
Thomas Borchert wrote:

Grumman,

Yes, if you would be so kind as to list an airport, nav-aid, fix or
obstacle that is correct in the Jeppesen database and incorrect in
AnywhereMap's FAA database, it would help immensely!

Oh, you want facts? ;-)

Which I graciously provided, thank you.

JKG
Old July 14th 06, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Grumman 236

I've actually done quite a bit of legwork (wing-work?) with AnywhereMap
and found their aviation data to be quite reliable, accurate and
complete. It served me well getting to 1S0 (Pierce County Airport, WA)
when the Jeppesen Data (September 2005 edition - $545 per year
subscription) in my Northstar panel mount was missing that airport.

Your aspersions would have credibility if you could cite at least one
specific example that could be verified...

Old July 14th 06, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jonathan Goodish

In article .com,
"Grumman 236" wrote:
I've actually done quite a bit of legwork (wing-work?) with AnywhereMap
and found their aviation data to be quite reliable, accurate and
complete. It served me well getting to 1S0 (Pierce County Airport, WA)
when the Jeppesen Data (September 2005 edition - $545 per year
subscription) in my Northstar panel mount was missing that airport.

Your aspersions would have credibility if you could cite at least one
specific example that could be verified...

I already pointed you in the right direction, but if you don't believe
me, Google for the many others who have noticed the same problems.
Better yet, do a search on the AWM forums (now closed to the public).
It didn't take me 15 minutes with AWM and a low-altitude chart and
Detroit sectional to find several errors within close proximity to KPIT.
I would be happy to point out more specifics (one that I remember was
incorrect runways at KWAY), but I sold my AWM system, so I can't look.

I'm not sure why your Jepp data didn't have that airport, unless it
wasn't up to date or the field is a private airport. I don't believe
that Jepp data contains private airports.

JKG
Old July 14th 06, 02:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Grumman 236

AnywhereMap info for KWAY shows runway 08/26 at 3,500'X75' Left traffic
and 1,065' elevation. 082-degrees magnetic heading.

Airnav shows the runways as 09/27 and NACO shows a helicopter GPS090
approach.

This substantiates your claim that AnywhereMap data is incorrect. Does
anyone have a current Jepp database handy and can confirm that it shows
the correct runways for KWAY?

Old July 14th 06, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dave Butler[_1_]

Grumman 236 wrote:
AnywhereMap info for KWAY shows runway 08/26 at 3,500'X75' Left traffic
and 1,065' elevation. 082-degrees magnetic heading.

Airnav shows the runways as 09/27 and NACO shows a helicopter GPS090
approach.

This substantiates your claim that AnywhereMap data is incorrect. Does
anyone have a current Jepp database handy and can confirm that it shows
the correct runways for KWAY?

Can't verify Jepp, but the FAA's ATA100 files with an effective date of 08/03
confirm runway 09/27, 3500x75, left traffic and elevation 1065.

The runway magnetic alignment data is blank, as are the fields for lat/lon of
the runway ends (from which the alignment could be calculated).

Pretty sure the ATA100 files are the source documents for airnav.com, currently
displaying the 06/08 effective date version.

Dave
Old July 14th 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Grumman 236" said:
AnywhereMap info for KWAY shows runway 08/26 at 3,500'X75' Left traffic
and 1,065' elevation. 082-degrees magnetic heading.

Airnav shows the runways as 09/27 and NACO shows a helicopter GPS090
approach.

My FAA data has the runway as 9/27, but my DAFIF data has it as 8/26. I
guess that shows where AnywhereMap is getting their data. In my
experience, DAFIF data is not as good as FAA data, but it's the only
solution for outside the US if you don't want to pay Jeppesen fees.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Compared to system administration, being cursed forever is a step up.
Old July 14th 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jonathan Goodish

In article .com,
"Grumman 236" wrote:
AnywhereMap info for KWAY shows runway 08/26 at 3,500'X75' Left traffic
and 1,065' elevation. 082-degrees magnetic heading.

Airnav shows the runways as 09/27 and NACO shows a helicopter GPS090
approach.

This substantiates your claim that AnywhereMap data is incorrect. Does
anyone have a current Jepp database handy and can confirm that it shows
the correct runways for KWAY?

The Jepp data has been correct for a while, as the runway numbering
change is a few years old. It was correct in the database of my Garmin
195 before I sold it (and the database wasn't up to date at the time.)

I wish that I could remember some of the MEA and frequency errors, as
I'm sure that they are still present as well. The Control Vision
explanation was that the data contained numerous errors, but that their
present database format did not permit them to correct the errors. I
know for a fact that the Control Vision forums had numerous reports of
errors all across the country during the time that I was an AWM user.
If you have access to the forums, you may want to search there for other
errors (and I may have posted some), assuming that CV hasn't purged
those threads.

CV promised to rework the database and make it changeable with v2.0 of
the software, which was supposed to be released in 2005. Still hasn't
happened. Even when they make the database changeable, someone will
have to change it--that takes labor, which equates to expense.

JKG