c-152 rudder???

Old December 13th 04, 05:19 PM
houstondan

Default c-152 rudder???

i really need to start this by saying i know absolutely nothing new or
bad about any aircraft. i'm sure not trying to start any rumors. in
fact, this may be something that y'all have already chewed on but...

the outfit i rent from is just down the taxiway from "air aces" at
houston-hooks where they've had a horrible time with wings coming off
airplanes lately.

in talking about that, one of the people at my base....not at "aces"...
told me they have been hearing about faa looking into a structural
problem with c-152 rudders. since they've got several and since i'm
almost certainly going to be buying one in the next few months we're
kinda curious about what might be going on.

anybody???

dan

Old December 15th 04, 12:00 AM
Michael

in talking about that, one of the people at my base....not at
"aces"...
told me they have been hearing about faa looking into a structural
problem with c-152 rudders. since they've got several and since i'm
almost certainly going to be buying one in the next few months we're
kinda curious about what might be going on.

Of the thousands that have been built and flown hard as trainers, a few
dozen have developed some cracks that were found on inspections (not by
the tail coming off - that never happened on any C-150 or C-152) and
there's going to be an inspection required for cracks (may already be
out) on a periodic basis. This type of AD is very common on all-metal
airplanes and not a big deal.

BTW - you should consider the Tomahawk if you are in the market for a
C-152. Generally more bang for the buck, roomier, better visibility,
carries more fuel, and a bit faster. Not as good for soft/rough fields
though.

Michael

Old December 15th 04, 05:38 AM
J. Severyn

"houstondan" wrote in message
oups.com...
i really need to start this by saying i know absolutely nothing new or
bad about any aircraft. i'm sure not trying to start any rumors. in
fact, this may be something that y'all have already chewed on but...

the outfit i rent from is just down the taxiway from "air aces" at
houston-hooks where they've had a horrible time with wings coming off
airplanes lately.

in talking about that, one of the people at my base....not at "aces"...
told me they have been hearing about faa looking into a structural
problem with c-152 rudders. since they've got several and since i'm
almost certainly going to be buying one in the next few months we're
kinda curious about what might be going on.

anybody???

dan

Check out the following link:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/Sy...8/4-00/536.htm
It seems if the rudder stop is deformed, it is possible that when you go to
full rudder deflection, to catch on the deformed rudder stop, which locks
the rudder hard-over. Moral: make sure the rudder stops are properly set
and in good structural condition. FAA has been contemplating an AD for a
while. Just be proactive. Make the rudder stops and the lower rudder horns
a walk-around item.

J. Severyn

Old December 15th 04, 06:10 AM
houstondan

excellent help...thx

dan

Old December 15th 04, 02:48 PM
clyde woempner

I have had our 150/150 for many years. It is a solid honest airplane and I
used it for 8.5 years to commute, about once/twice a month, from the L.A.
area to the Eureka area. With the tip tanks this was a non stop flight with
enough reserve for another hour. With the prop pitched for cruise, I was
able to throttle back to 2100 RPM and cruised at 110 mph. At this setting I
burned 6.5 Gals/hour. Now that I'm retired & the wife about too, this is
ideal for our trips, to visit the grand kids in San Diego. Whenever I do
need a bigger plane, it is no big deal to rent one, but 99% of my flying is
by myself. The 0320-e2d motor has been trouble free, just a nice set-up,
and easy on the pocket book. Just depends on what your needs are, so take
into consideration what you are going to be doing with the plane, family
size, distances, costs, ETC.
Clyde
PS: there is a Ad notice for repeated inspection of the nut plates on the
tail assy.

Old December 15th 04, 05:35 PM
houstondan

everything i'm reading, here and elswhere, is moving me toward buying a
150/2. there are issues about engine hp, nose/tail wheel, aerobatic
etc that i need to work thru and i'm starting think airframe time may
be a bigger factor, long term, than engine time.

dan

Old December 15th 04, 07:59 PM
Ron Natalie

J. Severyn wrote:

Check out the following link:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/Sy...8/4-00/536.htm
It seems if the rudder stop is deformed, it is possible that when you go to
full rudder deflection, to catch on the deformed rudder stop, which locks
the rudder hard-over.

This aircraft had serious damage, improper repairs, and bogus mainentance
far beyond what one would see in decades of student pilot abuse.
Old December 15th 04, 09:50 PM
Jay Honeck

I have had our 150/150 for many years.

IMHO, the C-150 with an O-320 is just about the best 2-seat plane for the
money out there.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 15th 04, 10:49 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

IMHO, the C-150 with an O-320 is just about the best 2-seat plane for the
money out there.

IMHO, the C-150 is the best 2-seat plane for the money there is. It's not the
fastest, but it's faster than anything else that uses the same runway and
carries the same load with the same power. Not the shortest takeoff, but shorter
than anything else that goes as fast with the same power. Not the best carrying
capacity, but better than anything else that gets off the ground as well and
carries as much with 100hp.

George Patterson
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.
Old December 16th 04, 12:59 AM

G.R. Patterson III wrote:
: IMHO, the C-150 is the best 2-seat plane for the money there is. It's not the
: fastest, but it's faster than anything else that uses the same runway and
: carries the same load with the same power. Not the shortest takeoff, but shorter
: than anything else that goes as fast with the same power. Not the best carrying
: capacity, but better than anything else that gets off the ground as well and
: carries as much with 100hp.

Interesting way to look at it. I'd tend to agree, although it's
pretty easy to grow out of it quickly. We (three of us) looked seriously
at C-150s for awhile until we realized that for not much more $$ (25-30k
instead of 18-22k) we could get 3 place, cross-country-able machine
(PA-28-140). Not to poo-poo a 150... great trainer and great boppering
around plane. Not so much for IFR training in any mountains or going too
far conviently or in a hurry.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *