Why not use the F-22 to replace the F/A-18 and F-14?

Old February 29th 04, 12:58 PM
Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal

On 2/28/04 6:42 PM, in article , "Kevin
Brooks" wrote:

"Doug "Woody" and Erin Beal" wrote in message
On 2/28/04 1:54 PM, in article
, "Kevin
Brooks" wrote:

Kevin, it's funny how you conveniently snipped the part of my post you
couldn't defend.

That is so far out of reason it is unbelievable. Firstly, if the STOVL
version were axed, the USMC would just buy one of the other two
versions--they will have to replace those old F/A-18's and (by then) AV-8B's
with *something*, so there is no merit to this strange theory you have
postulated. Secondly, axing of the STOVL would be unlikely anyway, because
the RN/RAF have placed their bets on that version. Have you got any
*reasonable* reasons why the USAF would allegedly just toss away a few
billion bucks on STOVL aircraft it really does not want?

It was actually YOU that suggested that the USAF was trying to make nice
with the USMC. Firstly, if the STOVL version were axed, the USMC would most
definitely buy CV versions in reduced numbers, still driving up the unit
costs. Secondly, I never said the USAF didn't want the STOVL version.
They've realized during OIF that CAS and their TACP program is essential to
warfare, and they see STOVL and forward basing as a way to get on board.

Any evidence that STOVL kills more pilots than other fast jets? Or any
evidence that the F-35B is inherently unsafe or "risky" technology? ISTR the
STOVL X-35 demonstrator did pretty well...

Brooks

Are you joking? How long have you been around Naval Aviation?

When I was at China Lake (for 3 years) we had two class A mishaps (in our
manned aircraft... not counting the drones)--both were Harriers--at least
one pilot was a TPS grad. For one of the pilots, it was his second ejection
from the AV-8B. The other died in a later AV-8B mishap after he'd returned
to the fleet. We had one class B mishap--a Harrier. The first guy I knew
of from flight school to die in an aircraft accident? Harrier. The only
flight school classmate I know who was a POW during DS? Harrier. (Sorry,
that last one shouldn't count... Not unique to the STOVL discussion. I was
on a roll.)

According to a brief by the Navy's Aviation Safety School given a few years
back, pilots across the TACAIR spectrum with 500 hours or less accounted for
29% of the general pilot population but were at the controls of 46% of the
"Skill Based Error" mishaps. If you split out the AV-8B community, the
percentage of less than 500 hours is 36% and they're responsible for 67% of
the mishaps. Conclusions: (1) experience counts. (2) the Harrier is a
more difficult aircraft to fly. This doesn't account for material failures
etc.

I don't know the actual rates, but the Harrier's have consistently been
higher than fleet average.

Then there's common sense. Slow an F-35 down to near stall while
simultaneously opening an upper intake door and engaging a power take-off
that activates a lift fan. Meanwhile rotate the exhaust nozzle in the back
of the jet through two axes. Any one of these single components fails, and
there's going to be trouble.

These opinions of mine were not generated in a vacuum. They were formed
through years of operating TACAIR aircraft--occasionally around Harriers...
when they weren't falling out of the sky around me. (Sorry, more rant...
and attempted dark humor.)

There's little doubt in my mind that the F-35 STOVL will be a better
platform than the AV-8B, but any slight gain in flexibility of use is still
not worth the risk and the cost when compared to a less risky CV or CTOL
version.

Now ask me if I think it's a good idea that the F-35 is a single engine
aircraft or whether I think it's a good idea that the Navy guys have decided
not to put an internal gun on their version.

--Woody

Old February 29th 04, 01:18 PM
Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal

On 2/28/04 11:06 PM, in article
, "Guy Alcala"

Brooks" wrote:

"Doug "Woody" and Erin Beal" wrote in message

SNIP
The groundpounder who wants responsive CAS available *immediately*
throughout an operation would differ with you as to whether having an asset
capable of hitting a FARP and returning quickly to station is just "nice to
have".

CAS is available immediately because it is capping nearby--not because it is
on some Harrier or STOVL F-35 that's on a mesh field getting fueled and
loaded. It is a function of proper planning, sufficient numbers of
aircraft, and a good DASC.

That also assumes that sufficient numbers of tankers and sufficient bed-down

SNIPPAGE... Lots of tanker stats
on their way to Baghdad. I don't know which airfield, because the AvLeak guy
wasn't allowed to identify it during the war, but I suspect it was around
al-Kut.

There's a shortage of USAF tankers in EVERY conflict--especially since the
demise of the A-6 and proliferation of the Hornet. Citing AV-8B ops in OIF
is only slightly relevant. Of course, if you have STOVL capability, use it
(OIF)--providing the threat will permit it. You've already sunk the blood
sweat and tears into it. My point is, the excessive risk in peace time and
the reduction in payload/range isn't worth the small war time advantage, and
the outcome of OIF would not have changed significantly had the Harriers not
been around to help out.

Yes, it's romantic to operate from austere bases in country... Leap-frogging
your way to Bagdad. No, it's not worth the risk/hassle.

SNIP
And you don't think the fact that they were turning A-10s at an FOB in Iraq (a
somewhat worse for wear Tallil airbase, IIRR) to avoid the extra 100-130 mile
one-way trip back to Kuwait, played any part in their deciding that being able
to operate out of austere forward locations (by buying some F-35Bs) might be a
good thing?

Given the timeline, I don¹t think that particular example is why there's a
STOVL F-35 being built. Although I'm fairly certain this is why the USAF is
jumping on the STOVL bandwagon. Frankly, I think the A-10 (or some other
low/slow/straight-wing design) is a better platform for what we're talking
about.

SNIP
What I'm claiming is that STOVL is still risky technology that kills too
many pilots in peace time and offers too little benefit in war time for that
cost.

And let's not forget how dangerous that helo VTOL technology is, so let's get
rid of the helos while we're at it. Hell, those things have been dropping
like flies.

Guy

Guy, that's just ridiculous. Helos actually have a bona fide mission--and
can auto-rotate. Why would you want to get rid of them?

--Woody

Old February 29th 04, 02:38 PM
José Herculano

Given the timeline, I don¹t think that particular example is why there's a
STOVL F-35 being built. Although I'm fairly certain this is why the USAF

is
jumping on the STOVL bandwagon. Frankly, I think the A-10 (or some other
low/slow/straight-wing design) is a better platform for what we're talking
about.

Couldn't agree more. The STOVL F-35 is a fact of life. The RN needs them to
mantain a fixed wing naval aviation component, the same will apply, in a far
smaller scale, to Spain, Italy and Thailand. Japan is almost certain to buy
them for their "open deck transports" or whatever PC term they are now using
for their carriers in construction. The RAF *thinks* they need'em, and it is
hard to argue with them.

I may understand why the Marines want some fixed wing capability on their
assault ships, although the plan to replace their Hornets with the STOVL
rather than the CTOL F-35 is looking dumber by the minute.

Now the USAF wanting some STOVLs... I can only reason that some political
generals are bowing to the pressure of some politicos that want a larger
numbers of the jumpers to decrease the unit price the UK and others will
have to cough. A CAS F-35? All that costly stealth platform carrying a bunch
of stuff under the wings and looking like the Statue of Liberty on the radar
on account of that, and with a questionable ability to take punishment from
bellow and still be useful on its original role?

Build some new A-10s with state of the art avionics and new engines. I know
that's not going to happen, but indeed it would make perfect fighting sense.
I still look in wonder at the costly "stealth" features incorporated into
the Rhino, and then you load the poor thing over with a bunch of
hanging-ons, canted outwards, that make it look like a Xmas tree on any
half-decent scope...
_____________
José Herculano

Old February 29th 04, 02:58 PM
Kevin Brooks

Brooks" wrote:

"Doug "Woody" and Erin Beal" wrote in message
On 2/28/04 1:54 PM, in article
,

"Kevin
Brooks" wrote:

Kevin, it's funny how you conveniently snipped the part of my post you
couldn't defend.

Not at all; your argument was so lacking in logic that I saw little reason
to bother. But if you are so interested in improving yourself, here goes:

"CAS is available immediately because it is capping nearby--not because it
is
on some Harrier or STOVL F-35 that's on a mesh field getting fueled and
loaded. It is a function of proper planning, sufficient numbers of
aircraft, and a good DASC."

What you ignore is that the "capping" (by which you actually menat
"stacking", I presume) is utterly dependent upon a number of external
factors that don't necessarily impact the operations of a STOVL aircraft.
You have to have tankers to support the CAS stack--tankers are a commodity
that is becoming more critical these days, and less available. You have to
have bases within range to support continuous operations. The heavies have
less problem with this, but then again we don't have a limitless supply of
heavies, and they *do* have some limits (hard to have a heavy do a Maverick
run). How many F-16's or even F-15E's do you have to have running continuous
operations to support a very long range CAS mission (like Afghanistan from
the Gulf)? Lots if yo0u are going to maintain a continuous CAS stack, and
*lots* of crews, too. Plus more tankers. And if you find yourself a bit
farther away than that Gulf-to Afghanistan trasit distance, then supporting
the CAS requirement becomes even more tenuous, if not impossible. OTOH, if
you establish a forward landing strip to handle C-130's bringging in the
beans, bullets, and bombs, you can also put a few STOVL aircraft in there,
set up FARP's closer to the action, and (voila!", you just reduced your
tanking requirements while also making the CAS package more responsive to
the ground commander's needs. He wants some CBU-105's in the mix? The F-15E
flying from Bumfart 1200 miles distant, on station with GBU's, is not going
to be able to help him much, and by the time he gets a new aircraft on
station the target is gone. OTOH, he gets his STOVL aircraft to hit the FARP
for a couple of CBU 105's, and bingo, he's in business.

That is so far out of reason it is unbelievable. Firstly, if the STOVL
version were axed, the USMC would just buy one of the other two
versions--they will have to replace those old F/A-18's and (by then)

AV-8B's
with *something*, so there is no merit to this strange theory you have
postulated. Secondly, axing of the STOVL would be unlikely anyway,

because
the RN/RAF have placed their bets on that version. Have you got any
*reasonable* reasons why the USAF would allegedly just toss away a few
billion bucks on STOVL aircraft it really does not want?

It was actually YOU that suggested that the USAF was trying to make nice
with the USMC.

No, it was not. I was being quite facetious with that query. That you found
it palusible is rather telling of your grasp of this situation.

Firstly, if the STOVL version were axed, the USMC would most
definitely buy CV versions in reduced numbers, still driving up the unit
costs. Secondly, I never said the USAF didn't want the STOVL version.
They've realized during OIF that CAS and their TACP program is essential

warfare, and they see STOVL and forward basing as a way to get on board.

They are already onboard. They just seem to grasp the importance of being
more versatile a bit better than you do.

[...]

Meaningless. Compare the accident rates per hours flown and get back to me.
Then tell us how that applies to the F-35B, a different aircraft with a
different lift system.

According to a brief by the Navy's Aviation Safety School given a few

years
back, pilots across the TACAIR spectrum with 500 hours or less accounted

for
29% of the general pilot population but were at the controls of 46% of the
"Skill Based Error" mishaps. If you split out the AV-8B community, the
percentage of less than 500 hours is 36% and they're responsible for 67%

of
the mishaps. Conclusions: (1) experience counts. (2) the Harrier is a
more difficult aircraft to fly. This doesn't account for material

failures
etc.

So flying the AV-8B is more demanding of new pilots. Hardly an indictment of
the STOVL concept itself.

I don't know the actual rates, but the Harrier's have consistently been
higher than fleet average.

Then there's common sense. Slow an F-35 down to near stall while
simultaneously opening an upper intake door and engaging a power take-off
that activates a lift fan. Meanwhile rotate the exhaust nozzle in the

back
of the jet through two axes. Any one of these single components fails,

and
there's going to be trouble.

If a helos rotor falls off, it crashes, too. Still kind of a rare event. If
the F-16's engine dies and can't be restarted, it crashes. So?

These opinions of mine were not generated in a vacuum. They were formed
through years of operating TACAIR aircraft--occasionally around

Harriers...
when they weren't falling out of the sky around me. (Sorry, more rant...
and attempted dark humor.)

There's little doubt in my mind that the F-35 STOVL will be a better
platform than the AV-8B, but any slight gain in flexibility of use is

still
not worth the risk and the cost when compared to a less risky CV or CTOL
version.

Unless you can't support the operation adequately with the CTOL aircraft.

Brooks

Old February 29th 04, 04:03 PM
Henry J Cobb

José Herculano wrote:
Couldn't agree more. The STOVL F-35 is a fact of life. The RN needs them to
mantain a fixed wing naval aviation component, the same will apply, in a far
smaller scale, to Spain, Italy and Thailand. Japan is almost certain to buy
them for their "open deck transports" or whatever PC term they are now using
for their carriers in construction. The RAF *thinks* they need'em, and it is
hard to argue with them.

http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/asi...237523,00.html
'I Love Japan, I Love Peace. The Maritime Self-Defence Force,' says a
voice-over at the end.

They just need a class of Lending Humanitarian Assistance ships
operating Justice Support Friendship aircraft.

-HJC