Another Intercept, but this time it's different

Old May 28th 05, 10:01 PM
Chris Schmelzer

In article ,
"gatt" wrote:

wrote in message news:20050527142925.731

So... why scramble F15's to intercept?
Sounds like someone is loosing it. I fly near restricted airspace all the
time, granted I don't loiter, but noone says I can't loiter outside
restricted airspace. Guess I need to revisit where I fly less I be shot
down.

They didn't shoot him down.

Last time I was between Edwards and Palmdale (pre-9/11) they had strange
security going on.
First clue were the submachine guns at the Palmdale gate.
Second clue was the AC-130 gunship orbitting Edwards.
Third clue was the strange bare-aluminum aircraft with fighter escort moving
from Palmdale to Edwards...
Fourth clue was the X-32 sitting on the flightline when we got there, and
the NASA/Dryden people warning us not to look too much "that direction."

Makes me wonder if there might have been a test underway at Edwards or
something.

-c

What's the big deal about the X-32? It is just a JSF (Joint Strike
Fighter)...

They ain't all that secret anymore!

--
Chris Schmelzer, MD
Capt, 110th Fighter Michigan ANG
Old May 28th 05, 10:03 PM
Chris Schmelzer

In article ,
Larry Dighera wrote:

On Sat, 28 May 2005 02:00:55 GMT, George Patterson
wrote in rhQle.2245$zb.131@trndny02::

We've been repeatedly warned that loitering around sites like this will
result in interceptions.

I have seen no such warnings. There have been warnings not to loiter
over nuclear facilities and open air assemblies, but I'm not aware of
any warnings against loitering outside Restricted airspace.

You haven't?!?

Hope you don't have any nuclear power plants in your area! We have one
just south of here..You can cruise by it if you want, but start doing
circles above it and you are likely to get a visit from the FBI

Old May 28th 05, 10:46 PM
Matt Barrow

"Dave S" wrote in message
ink.net...

Matt Barrow wrote:

at 18,027' 1", Captain."

They can also say, "The pilot is a male Caucasian, 34 years old, 5'11"

tall
and 205 lbs, married with two kids...not getting any from his old lady."

I guess this is the same data gathering ability that said "Yes, Iraq had
WMD's" as well?

Not trying to flame a political debate, but yanno... there IS a limit to
capabilities.

Ya know...some people equate intelligence gathering the way that Hollywood
portrays it in the spy movies.

I guess all those 100,000 Kurds really weren't gassed, huh?

Old May 28th 05, 11:17 PM
Matt Barrow

"Montblack" wrote in message
("Matt Barrow" wrote)
[snip]
Given that there was, overall, merely and uproar resulting from these
episodes, would you rather they over-react, or under-react? Finding the
exactly right balance is not something humans seem to gravitate to,
especially bureaucracies.

Key word is "react."

When a snake strikes, instinctive "reaction" is to jump - I think all
mammals do this (except elephants, who can't jump. Apparently hippos can
jump. Who knew?)

Then fight or flight kicks in.

Later, reason finally takes over and a well thought out plan to either

avoid
the snake in the future or kill the snake is now in order.

I think our government is sill a little "jumpy."

Tell someone "HALT" and when they don't, there's reason to escalate the
reaction to the next level.

What was it we heard, dozens of intrusions happen each week, but only this
one made a big splash. Then, too, the rest of them respond when challenged.

--
Matt
---------------------

Old May 28th 05, 11:20 PM
George Patterson

Dave S wrote:

I guess this is the same data gathering ability that said "Yes, Iraq had
WMD's" as well?

No, this is a state-of-the-art military radar system.

Not trying to flame a political debate,

Bull****.

George Patterson
Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
Because she smells like a new truck.
Old May 28th 05, 11:21 PM
George Patterson

Dave S wrote:
From what the ATC can see its more like: 17,900 or 18000 feet.. the
Mode C encodes in 100 ft increments

Except this wasn't ATC. This was the U.S.A.F..

Old May 28th 05, 11:27 PM
Matt Barrow

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Matt Barrow" wrote:

Remember, 9/11 was Bush's fault for not acting sooner,

wow.

Not _my_ take. It's from those who equate intelligence gathering with the
Hollywood spy movie model.

Old May 29th 05, 12:13 AM
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 28 May 2005 17:03:42 -0400, Chris Schmelzer
wrote in ::

In article ,
Larry Dighera wrote:

On Sat, 28 May 2005 02:00:55 GMT, George Patterson
wrote in rhQle.2245$zb.131@trndny02::

We've been repeatedly warned that loitering around sites like this will
result in interceptions.

I have seen no such warnings. There have been warnings not to loiter
over nuclear facilities and open air assemblies, but I'm not aware of
any warnings against loitering outside Restricted airspace.

You haven't?!?

Hope you don't have any nuclear power plants in your area! We have one
just south of here..You can cruise by it if you want, but start doing
circles above it and you are likely to get a visit from the FBI

I believe George was referring to Edwards Air Force Base, not nuclear
plants.
Old May 29th 05, 12:19 AM
George Patterson

Larry Dighera wrote:

I have seen no such warnings. There have been warnings not to loiter
over nuclear facilities and open air assemblies, but I'm not aware of
any warnings against loitering outside Restricted airspace.

Here's an example --
1/3352 ...SPECIAL NOTICE... FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY UNTIL
FURTHER NOTICE, PURSUANT TO 14 CFR 99.7, SPECIAL SECURITY INSTRUCTIONS,
OPERATIONS WITHIN THE TERRITORIAL AIRSPACE OF THE U.S. THIS IS A RESTATEMENT OF
A PREVIOUS ADVISORY. PILOTS ARE ADVISED TO AVOID THE AIRSPACE ABOVE, OR IN
PROXIMITY TO, SITES SUCH AS NUCLEAR POWER PLANTS, POWER PLANTS, DAMS,
REFINERIES, INDUSTRIAL COMPLEXES, MILITARY FACILITIES AND OTHER SIMILAR
FACILITIES. PILOT SHOULD NOT CIRCLE AS TO LOITER IN THE VICINITY OF SUCH
FACILITIES. WIE UNTIL UFN

Note the phrase "military facilities."

Old May 29th 05, 01:53 AM
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 28 May 2005 23:19:10 GMT, George Patterson
wrote in O%6me.6984$zb.398@trndny01::

PILOTS ARE ADVISED TO AVOID THE AIRSPACE ABOVE, OR IN
PROXIMITY TO, SITES SUCH AS NUCLEAR POWER PLANTS, POWER PLANTS, DAMS,
REFINERIES, INDUSTRIAL COMPLEXES, MILITARY FACILITIES AND OTHER SIMILAR
FACILITIES. PILOT SHOULD NOT CIRCLE AS TO LOITER IN THE VICINITY OF SUCH
FACILITIES.

Thank you for the information, George. I guess I overlooked 'military
facilities' in those NOTAMS.

FS9 Time Zone Files in BETA Test DDT Simulators 3 April 5th 04 06:06 PM
FS2002 Clock Time Chris Simulators 0 November 6th 03 08:02 AM
they took me back in time and the nsa or japan wired my head and now they know the idea came from me so if your back in time and wounder what happen they change tim liverance history for good. I work at rts wright industries and it a time travel trap tim liverance Military Aviation 0 August 18th 03 12:18 AM
Best Software and Hardware for Turn Area Task? Snead1 Soaring 29 August 13th 03 04:12 PM