Condor Joystick/Rudder Pedals

Old January 3rd 12, 03:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter von Tresckow

Default Condor Joystick/Rudder Pedals

Hi, I think it may finally be time to retire my mid '90's vintage
Thrustmaster Joystick/Trhottle/Rudder combination. It's still running on the
old gameport connector, and I don't think Win 7 supports that anymore.

So with that in mind what are you using these days in the way of a
joystick/rudder combo for flying Condor?

Thanks

Pete

Old January 3rd 12, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glider12321

On Jan 3, 8:11*am, "Peter von Tresckow" wrote:
Hi, I think it may finally be time to retire my mid '90's vintage
Thrustmaster Joystick/Trhottle/Rudder combination. It's still running on the
old gameport connector, and I don't think Win 7 supports that anymore.

So with that in mind what are you using these days in the way of a
joystick/rudder combo for flying Condor?

Thanks

Pete

I have a Saitek Evo joystick and Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals. I
really like the button layout and ergonomics of this stick and it has
always worked very well for what we do in Condor. The throttle lever
is perfect for spoiler control. The pedals have tension adjustment and
while not exactly like glider pedals (unless you make them yourself I
think they all are more like airplane pedals), they do give the needed
result and help retain "muscle memory" for coordination..
Old January 3rd 12, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Paynter[_2_]

Hi Pete,

Remde (Cumulus Soaring) recommends and sells the CH-Pro rudder pedals.
The problem with typical game pedal setups is that they try to operate
both as gas/brake pedals (i.e. independent movement) and as rudder
pedals (i.e. symmetrically opposite motion). The CH-Pro pedals
achieve the latter motion arrangement by sliding the pedals in tracks
with a linkage so that if one goes forward, the other goes
backwards. I have used these at our club, and while they aren't
exactly like typical aviation rudder pedals, they seem to work fine,
and as another poster said, they do create the 'muscle memory' needed
for beginning students.

For experienced pilots, I generally recommend not using rudder pedals
at all. Condor supports an 'autorudder' setting that handles almost
all requirements for rudder control, and the typical joystick with a
twist-grip can easily handle the additional rudder needed for cross-
wind takeoffs.

Regards,

TA

Old January 4th 12, 03:16 AM
RAS56 RAS56 is offline
Member

Pete,

I use a Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick w/o the rudder pedals. If you get one, make sure you get it with a USB plug and not a serial cable.

Found mine on Ebay, still some on the

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories

As far as rudder pedals..."What Frank said." I don't need/use 'em.

See you in Condor!

Rob S.

"ZAP"

ps-since Frank won't shamelessly plug his book, I'll do it for him...Check out his "Cross Country Soaring with Condor" book sold by Paul Remde at Cumulus Soaring. Wish I would have bought that sucker 6 months ago! Then again, if you like yelling at your computer monitor, save the 20 bucks and steady as she goes!

http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/books...WithCondor.htm
Old January 4th 12, 02:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Herbert kilian

On Jan 3, 9:11*am, "Peter von Tresckow" wrote:
Hi, I think it may finally be time to retire my mid '90's vintage
Thrustmaster Joystick/Trhottle/Rudder combination. It's still running on the
old gameport connector, and I don't think Win 7 supports that anymore.

So with that in mind what are you using these days in the way of a
joystick/rudder combo for flying Condor?

Thanks

Pete

Peter,
Another option is the use of an RC transmitter (Tx) that you connect
to Condor via the trainer jack. Condor recognizes my older JR XP 8103
transmitter via a USB link. Since I'm used to flying the transmitter
functions (Aileron/Elevator on right stick, Rudder and Throttle on
left) it feels quite natural and I don't miss the rudder pedals.
Airbrakes can be put on the throttle channel, gear and other functions
can be assigned to other free channels.
Herb
Old January 4th 12, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

I agree that the stick twist for rudder works just fine and doesn't
mess with your head once you are familiar with it. It's actually
fairly intuitive. I don't use the auto-rudder since the stick twist
works so well.

However, if you want glider-like pedals, it's not hard to do. PC game
rudder pedals are just a potentiometer and some minor electronics to
turn the pot output to USB. These can be from a gutted set of pedals
or joystick. There are many examples of this approach on the "Cockpit
builder" web sites. Google "DIY rudder pedals"