Coronavirus impacting activities?

Old March 21st 20, 01:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_4_]

Default Coronavirus impacting activities?

The whole point of the advice, stay at home, is to reduce the peak of
infections and consequent serious illness that could put hospitals under
a terrific strain.
Gliding is not essential to human life, it is a sport, a pastime nopt a
necessity like eating and sleeping.
The simple question is, which part of STAY AT HOME don't you buggers
understand.

Old March 21st 20, 01:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Don which part of MY Life don’t you understand. And as for me and many others, soaring is an Essential part of our lives! It has been for the last 40 years for me and will continue for me till I cant climb in the cockpit any more.

You can hold to your nanny state, the govt knows best perspective, maybe where you live the issue is a bigger one than where I live out here in the sticks, thats your perogative. But damn well dont try and foust your restrictions on those of us who are more passionate about our sport and who are taking reasonable and thoughtful precautions.
Old March 21st 20, 01:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

And Don if folks took your viewpoint, the Seniors should have bern cancelled this year midstream! Ask those who participated/participating and see what they think of the idea.
Dan
Old March 21st 20, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Well Don I guess you missed the part about us who choose to fly doing so with informed and circumspect precaution. And also being in an area very minimaly impacted by this virus.

And as for “me me me”, I would rather live that way being self dependant and willing to take the rewards and the consequences of my own actions, than live under the illusion that the govt and society know whats best for me. But as you live in CA I guess you have no choice but to think the state knows whats best for you. Good luck with that. I think with a little research you will see there are alot more people who have a common sense self reliance perspective like me than you think.
Old March 21st 20, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dennis Cavagnaro

Whoa there Gregg.... this “old Guy” has been feeding his SSI and working for 45 years. No safe places... paid for his education... NOT eligible for any handouts that are coming and i don’t need them. I’m not asking anyone to stay away and presently I’m trying to get in the first seat of a dual with you or somebody and want to fly my glider. Don’t blame old people. I’ve survived thinning out the heard before -

DC
Old March 21st 20, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, March 21, 2020 at 11:22:38 AM UTC-4, Dennis Cavagnaro wrote:
Whoa there Gregg.... this “old Guy” has been feeding his SSI and working for 45 years. No safe places... paid for his education... NOT eligible for any handouts that are coming and i don’t need them. I’m not asking anyone to stay away and presently I’m trying to get in the first seat of a dual with you or somebody and want to fly my glider. Don’t blame old people. I’ve survived thinning out the heard before -

DC

We will all be poorer when this is over. What's lost is lost. We are staying home so that the old people can live, so we can make fun of them when they are broke. Shekels will not be replaced on the backs of the young. I'm going to write a cat food cookbook.
Old March 21st 20, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Saturday, March 21, 2020 at 7:30:55 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Well Don I guess you missed the part about us who choose to fly doing so with informed and circumspect precaution. And also being in an area very minimaly impacted by this virus.

And as for “me me me”, I would rather live that way being self dependant and willing to take the rewards and the consequences of my own actions, than live under the illusion that the govt and society know whats best for me. But as you live in CA I guess you have no choice but to think the state knows whats best for you. Good luck with that. I think with a little research you will see there are alot more people who have a common sense self reliance perspective like me than you think.

And does that include not seeking medical care if you get sick? I doubt it. If the Chinese virus escalates beyond the tipping level we are in SERIOUS TROUBLE - and it is close to that in certain areas of the country NOW. This is another "anecdote" about what is happening in our country's ERs (https://www.wsj.com/articles/as-coro...hp_lead_pos4):

Andra Blomkalns, chairwoman of emergency medicine at Stanford University, suspects that all 80 of the physicians who work in her Palo Alto, Calif., emergency department have been exposed to the novel coronavirus.

One who tested positive became very ill. At least a dozen others are awaiting test results. She wants to keep high-risk providers, like older physicians and one who had an organ transplant, from seeing patients in person. But she can’t lose too many of them because sick people are streaming into her department in the San Francisco Bay Area, where the pandemic hit early and hard.

“I feel like in those several weeks prior to being able to have testing, our providers were exposed all the time,” says Dr. Andra Blomkalns.
“If you take all those people off the front lines, you don’t have a workforce,” Dr. Blomkalns said. “I feel like a monster having to make some of these really tough decisions and how they affect people’s lives.”

Emergency departments are straining to keep the rapidly spreading virus from putting workers at risk. At least two ER doctors are in critical condition with confirmed or suspect cases of the coronavirus, according to the American College of Emergency Physicians.

One of them, a Washington state clinician in his 40s, complied at all times with procedures for wearing personal protective equipment, ACEP said. The other, a 70-year-old in Paterson, N.J., leads emergency preparedness for his institution.

“It’s very anxiety provoking for an emergency physician,” said C. Ryan Keay, an ER doctor in Everett, Wash., where the first U..S. coronavirus case was confirmed in January. “In the back of everyone’s mind is, ‘Could I be taking this home to my family? What if I get sick?’ ”

Dr. Blomkalns said that early in the outbreak, a shortage of Covid-19 tests and narrow health-department criteria for who could get them meant “we didn’t understand the true prevalence of the disease in the community.” She treated a patient without protective gear and later developed a fever, headache and a cough.

Then she got a frightening call from a colleague on the operations team. “We’ve got bad news,” they told her. That patient eventually tested positive for the new coronavirus.

Dr. Blomkalns tested negative and recovered within days. One of her physicians wasn’t so lucky. That doctor had symptoms for about a week but couldn’t get tested because they didn’t meet the health department’s guidelines, Dr. Blomkalns said. The physician continued seeing patients. They eventually got a test that confirmed the virus. They went into self-isolation at home and have mostly recovered, she said.

“I feel like in those several weeks prior to being able to have testing, our providers were exposed all the time,” she said. Stanford has since developed its own Covid-19 test, but Dr. Blomkalns said she can’t test most of her workforce because they are asymptomatic and thus don’t meet the rapidly evolving criteria for it. A shortage of testing reagents also is constraining testing, she added.

Shortages of protective equipment, including N95 and surgical masks, are adding to the anxiety. Simple masks that used to be kept out in the open are now being locked up or guarded by a charge nurse, physicians say, because patients or hospital personnel were snatching them. Physicians are having to reuse protective equipment that they otherwise would have disposed of after a single use. Some are buying their own face shields on Amazon.com.

Maria Raven, chief of emergency medicine at the University of California, San Francisco, said that early in the epidemic, physicians were donning N95 masks, gloves and gowns when they went into the rooms of potential coronavirus patients. But the department was so crowded that patients were spilling into the hallways.

“We were like ‘Oh, wait, if we had a respiratory patient in a hallway, that’s also potentially putting our health-care workers in the line of fire,’ ” she said, adding that physicians kept their protective equipment on at all times. The hospital set up two military-grade medical structures in its parking lot earlier this month and stationed a triage nurse there to screen patients for fevers and respiratory symptoms.

Drs. Blomkalns, Raven and others say emergency physicians are tightly following protocols to make sure they don’t spread the virus between patients or to themselves. Some physicians say the fast-moving nature of the job makes that difficult.

One Seattle emergency physician said inpatient nurses at his facility are showering after 10 minutes of exposure to a patient who is suspected to have the virus. ER workers are supposed to follow that rule too but no one is doing it because it isn’t practical and, because test results take days, it isn’t clear which patients present a confirmed risk.

Sara Miller and Yashwant Chathampally, husband-and-wife emergency physicians who practice in Houston, say they are worried about bringing the virus back to their home, where Dr. Chathampally’s elderly parents and the couple’s 3-year-old twins live. They have started stripping off their scrubs and shoes in the garage and going immediately into the shower when they come home from work.

“Instead of the kids running up and giving you a hug when you walk in the door, we don’t let that happen anymore,” Dr. Miller said.

Dr. Blomkalns ended up moving her high-risk physicians so they conduct telehealth visits. She has noticed other health-care workers seem wary of coming close to her because she works in the emergency department. She recently handed an envelope to a colleague who told her to instead “put it over there.” Her hands are growing dry from washing them about 30 times a shift.

“It does not exactly make anyone feel good to be treated that way, but I understand,” she said.
Old March 21st 20, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_4_]

At 14:30 21 March 2020, wrote:
Well Don I guess you missed the part about us who choose to fly

doing so
wi=
th informed and circumspect precaution. And also being in an area

very
mini=
maly impacted by this virus.

And as for =E2=80=9Cme me me=E2=80=9D, I would rather live

that way being
s=
elf dependant and willing to take the rewards and the

consequences of my
ow=
n actions, than live under the illusion that the govt and society

know
what=
s best for me. But as you live in CA I guess you have no choice but

thin=
k the state knows whats best for you. Good luck with that. I think

with a
l=
ittle research you will see there are alot more people who have a

common
se=
nse self reliance perspective like me than you think.

1. I don't live in CA
2. The government advice is to protect the hospitals from being
overloaded and to save lives.
3. It may not matter if you get the virus, it will matter to others.
4. When scientific evidence leads to advice to STAY AT HOME it is
incumbent on everyone to do just that.

The whole point of the restrictions is to save necessary deaths and
serious illness but you and your ilk know better. You don't care about
others, only yourself.
Now we all know exactly what and who you are. Good luck with that.

Coronavirus ProfJ Soaring 26 March 9th 20 08:23 PM
SUA activities for OSH bound pilots Jim Burns Piloting 1 July 22nd 05 03:33 PM
more activities at Chateauroux ? hugo36 Military Aviation 0 February 15th 04 03:05 AM
Allow me to share today's activities Frederick Wilson Home Built 36 November 17th 03 02:57 PM
Allow me to share today's activities Frederick Wilson Piloting 14 November 17th 03 02:57 PM