Pilots Arrested for Disability Payments

Old July 21st 05, 02:07 AM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Sylvain wrote:
ps technical details: I did have to do two 'medical flight tests'
with a FAA inspector, one when I got my class-III and another
one when I upgraded to class-II (and I'll have to do it again
when/if I upgrade to class-I); not really a check ride, just
enough to conving the inspector that I was safe; first one was
made in an ASEL and the second one in an AMEL (not required, but
the inspector said he'd be curious to see me fly one if I didn't
mind, and I never mind flying a twin :-)

Now you've got me curious both as a nurse and as a pilot: how do you handle
engine outs in a twin? Rudder trim only goes so far. Have you got an adaptive
device to allow you to "stand on" the rudder?

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old July 21st 05, 02:09 AM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

W P Dixon wrote:
Well Heck!
That's just too cool! I had seen a few sites with people with disabilities
flying, but I was unaware they could get commercial ratings! I think that is
great! Unluckily my condition would not allow the commercial or even a PPL ,
but it is really cool that amputees can and do fly commercial.

Do a google search on Sir Doublas Bader. Not only was he one of the RAF's
leading aces in WWII, he was a bilateral amputee from a flying accident before
the war. One above the knee; one below the knee... and what was left was one
hell of a man.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old July 21st 05, 05:17 AM
Sylvain

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

Now you've got me curious both as a nurse and as a pilot: how do you handle
engine outs in a twin? Rudder trim only goes so far. Have you got an adaptive
device to allow you to "stand on" the rudder?

You wouldn't believe how many people (MEIs, examiners, FAA
inspectors, etc.) want to throw engine out exercises at me
every time they ride with me in a twin :-)

Seriously: as a nurse you already know what paraplegic (or
quadriplegic for that matter) means, i.e., essentially it
is someone who suffered a spinal cord injury below a given
level (defined loosely by the vertebrae affected); it
doesn't say anything about the extent of the neurological
damages (extents of the paralysis); i.e., it varies from
complete paralysis to no visible symptoms whatsoever; in my
case I did recover enough to be able to walk, drive and fly
without any adaptive devices; I do however walk with forearm
crutches, and I wear ortheses in my shoes (because I didn't
recover enough to move the feet; i.e., it feels a bit like
flying with ski-boots on (which makes some aircraft
difficult if not impossible for me to handle due to the
ergonomics of the rudder pedals; the funny thing is that
the bigger the aircraft, the easier it is, i.e., I
find the C-310 with its big fat rudder pedals much easier to
handle than a cramped C-152 :-)

Although I do have enough strength to keep the aircraft
under control for extended period of time when the critical
engine goes out, it does not necessarily look like I can
handle it to someone who just look at me (let's say that
the way I walk with the forearm crutches makes it obvious
that I am not just suffering from a sprung ankle :-)

the FAA inspector prudently simulated the first engine
out exercise at altitude, and was apparently happy
with the outcome since he did another one for the last
landing :-) (and an engine out landing requires a
bit of dancing on the rudders as you reduce power); the
examiner for the commercial did a few testss as well,
including a one engine out landing onto a very narrow
runway (about the width of the landing gear) to satisfy
himself that I could do it;

that said, there are a number of adaptive devices out
there for various types of aircraft, both fixed and
rotary wings for pilots with complete paralysis; you
may want to have a look at IWA web site where you can
see a couple of examples (look at the FAQ):

http://www.wheelchairaviators.org/

--Sylvain
Old July 21st 05, 06:05 AM
W P Dixon

Sylvain,
You are a definite inspiration to my gimpped up old butt I tell ya!
Sometimes I wonder if I will ever get through this sport pilot thing,..heck
I am just doing small taters!!! Been flying an old taildragger and really
alittle over 2 hours a day is about all I can do. Wish I could fly more but
I have to go as funds allow, so I try to go get a few hours about once a
month. Probably could do better if we did not have to travel for 5 and a
half hours to fly! The wife is very supportive and has not complained to
much about driving most of the way.
I hope to solo my next time, have to go ahead and take the written..and
Lord I hate tests!!! I may have a disability , but it doesn't mean I am a
vegetable and lay in bed....have to live while you can! Doc said very rarely
improves, but I am hopeful. I long to be back on a flightline ! Even though
I sure used to hate doing them I would even be happy to do seat track
splices on a big commercial !
Thanks so much for sharing your experience, I'm really ready to hop back
in that Champ now! Look out Luscombe you are next!

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

Old July 21st 05, 06:14 AM
Aluckyguess

No just flew for fun. I dont know if he was drawing or not.
I get your point and it makes sense.
"Allen" wrote in message
m...

"Aluckyguess" wrote in message
I met a guy with one arm.

Was he flying for hire AND drawing disability? I have one arm, fly for a
living but I am not on any type of disability.

Allen

Old July 21st 05, 06:54 AM
ShawnD2112

Interesting case, Sylvain, and a credit to you that you didn't let the
injury ruin your life or your approach to it.

We had an interesting case of adaptive aircraft here in the UK last year.
There is a Pitts Special pilot who was in an accident in South Africa which
damaged both ankles so that he can't move them, somewhat like yourself
(ski-boot effect). The Pitts has toe breaks like a C152 but, unlike the
Cessna, really, really needs them on landing to control the twitchiness of
the swings. The UK Pitts expert, a man named Rob Millinship, designed and
built a very clever braking device with a hand-held actuator that allows
progressive braking as the rudder pedal is applied. Hold the hand-lever and
you get braking from zero to full as you push the pedal to the stop, release
the hand-lever and all you get is rudder. Works a treat and the pilot is
able to land on hard tarmac as well as grass. One of the neatest and most
noble pieces of engineering design I've ever seen.

Shawn
Pitts S-1D, G-BKVP

Old July 21st 05, 07:54 AM
Sylvain

ShawnD2112 wrote:

the swings. The UK Pitts expert, a man named Rob Millinship, designed and
built a very clever braking device with a hand-held actuator that allows
progressive braking as the rudder pedal is applied. Hold the hand-lever and
you get braking from zero to full as you push the pedal to the stop, release
the hand-lever and all you get is rudder. Works a treat and the pilot is
able to land on hard tarmac as well as grass. One of the neatest and most
noble pieces of engineering design I've ever seen.

what you describe looks a bit like the braking system on the Antonov
AN2B (another single engine biplane, but not quite as gracious as
the Pitts :-)

--Sylvain

ps did my PPL(A) in Clacton-on-Sea; UK is indeed a bit more open
minded about flying with disabilities than the rest of Europe...
Old July 21st 05, 08:51 PM
Mike Weller

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 11:33:05 GMT, kontiki
wrote:

Doug wrote:

They can't FIND the terrorists. So they arrest who is convenient. Law
enforcement works this way.

Take the Jon Benet murder. They couldn't find the murderer, so who did
they arrest? The JOURNALISTS!

And???

Old July 22nd 05, 03:02 PM
Mike Weller

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 23:54:58 -0700, Sylvain wrote:

ShawnD2112 wrote:

the swings. The UK Pitts expert, a man named Rob Millinship, designed and
built a very clever braking device with a hand-held actuator that allows
progressive braking as the rudder pedal is applied. Hold the hand-lever and
you get braking from zero to full as you push the pedal to the stop, release
the hand-lever and all you get is rudder. Works a treat and the pilot is
able to land on hard tarmac as well as grass. One of the neatest and most
noble pieces of engineering design I've ever seen.

what you describe looks a bit like the braking system on the Antonov
AN2B (another single engine biplane, but not quite as gracious as
the Pitts :-)

--Sylvain

ps did my PPL(A) in Clacton-on-Sea; UK is indeed a bit more open
minded about flying with disabilities than the rest of Europe...

And from what I've heared from the pilots here, it works very well.

Mike Weller

Old July 22nd 05, 05:18 PM
Kathy

"Hilton" wrote in message
nk.net...
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050719/...ility_payments

What surprised us was that their names were published in papers and appeared
in print on television news.

Kathy