Flying into NYC for Thanksgiving Day Parade

Old November 22nd 05, 03:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Flying into NYC for Thanksgiving Day Parade

"David Megginson" wrote in message
ups.com...
John Doe wrote:

Republic sounds tempting vs TEB. How long is the train ride to Penn
Station?

It's about an hour. Trains run roughly every hour, but I understand
that during evening rush hour, it's a longer wait to get into the city.
So figure more than two hours from landing to midtown. It's a nice,
quiet little town, though, with a mall right beside the airport (I
didn't go inside).

Someone else wrote about liking to talk to ATC. I like to talk to ATC
as well -- I fly out of what would be a class B airport in the U.S. --
but when you call NY approach from the north flying into KCDW or KTEB,
they'll just tell you to descend and remain clear of class B anyway.

If I'm trying to get to TEB from the south, my direct flight takes me right
over the top of Newark (yea right). How painful is it going to be to get
around Newark and into TEB from the south?

Old November 22nd 05, 03:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Longworth" wrote in message
oups.com...
Weather forecast calls for rain and snow on Thursday in the Northeast.
We had planned to fly from KPOU (north of NY city) to Hartford, CT but
most likely will just drive there.

Hai Longworth

Awesome, that'll be fun.

Old November 22nd 05, 04:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

John Doe wrote:

Is the NYC ADIZ no longer in effect?

Nope, fortunately it went away within months of the 9/11 terrorism act.

--
Peter
Old November 22nd 05, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

John Doe wrote:

Here's a rollup of FBO prices at TEB for this week:

Signatu $38/night
Atlantic: $25/night
1st Aviation $35/night
Million Air $45/night

Gas prices ranged from $5 to over $6/gallon

Millionare used to wave the first night's fee if fuel were purchased, or if
you talked really sweet to the counter women. I would call and inquire
about this if you are going to TEB.

--
Peter
Old November 22nd 05, 04:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

John Doe wrote:

Am I reading the chart right, As far as the class B airspace goes, if I come
right up the coast and stay below 1500' can I thread the airspace between
jfk and newark and fly right over 'ground zero' on my way to TEB?

Not exactly. The class-B floor dips to 1100' over NY harbor, so you need to
watch out for that. As for the rest, you have to maintain clearance from
buildings and such, so you can't safely fly "right over" anything except the
harbor, the rivers and the bridges unless you get clearance into the B.

George Patterson
If a tank is out of ammunition, what you have is a sixty ton portable
radio.
Old November 22nd 05, 04:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

John Doe wrote:

If I'm trying to get to TEB from the south, my direct flight takes me right
over the top of Newark (yea right). How painful is it going to be to get
around Newark and into TEB from the south?

IMO, the easiest thing for you to do is to call up Newark and go through the
class-B. If the winds allow, they'll probably bring you right up the river and
then swing you around to land from the north.

Old November 22nd 05, 11:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

John Doe wrote:

Here's a rollup of FBO prices at TEB for this week:

Signatu $38/night
Atlantic: $25/night
1st Aviation $35/night
Million Air $45/night

Gas prices ranged from $5 to over $6/gallon

Wow.

It's nice to be in a fuel-efficient plane when you fly in. I had a
good experience at Atlantic last March, and I think they gave me one of
my nights free with a top up (about 25 gallons), as well as driving my
family and luggage from the plane to the FBO (which, for me, is a
little overboard). I've also had a good experience with Atlantic at
KPHL.

All the best,

David

Old November 22nd 05, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

David Megginson wrote:

when you call NY approach from the north flying into KCDW or KTEB,
they'll just tell you to descend and remain clear of class B anyway.

That is not my experience. I fly into that area all the time (I primarily
fly out of CDW), and I cannot recall the last time that occurred. It *has*
occurred; don't get me wrong. But it's been a long time since.

- Andrew

Old November 22nd 05, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

George Patterson wrote:

The class-B floor dips to 1100' over NY harbor, so you need to
watch out for that.

Be sure you're flying with a terminal chart or - even better - a helicopter
chart. Otherwise, it is too easy to miss one of those little chunks where
the airspace drops.

However, what is being described is a common route for tourists and
helicopters: the "Hudson VFR Cooridor" or "Exclusion Zone". I've taken it
north to TEB's airspace, and then made a left turn (contacting TEB tower,
of course) for a transition en route to CDW. No problem.

- Andrew

Old November 22nd 05, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

George Patterson wrote:

IMO, the easiest thing for you to do is to call up Newark and go through
the class-B. If the winds allow, they'll probably bring you right up the
river and then swing you around to land from the north.

Another approach is to contact EWR tower while approaching the class B at
1000 over the Garden State Parkway. Request the "GSP transition north".
Watch out for traffic helicopters.

I first learned that trick on my club checkride. The idea is to follow the
highway. So I followed the highway. The CFI giving me the checkride said
"you don't need to follow every bend in the road." I replied with
something like "no, I don't *need* to".

Admittedly, this is easier for a local (we know the GSP {8^).

If you're flying into TEB, then - depending upon the wind - you might get a
pretty direct route through the class B just as a matter of course.
There's an ILS (6, I think) onto which you could be vectored.

- Andrew