Four blade prop on a Bonanza?

Old September 4th 04, 03:33 AM
Peter R.

Default Four blade prop on a Bonanza?

Today I just saw a four blade prop on a V-tail Bonanza at Niagara Falls
Airport, NY. This seemed a bit unusual to me, but then again, I only
have a few years of flying experience. What are the advantages and
disadvantages of this type of prop?

--
Peter

Old September 4th 04, 05:04 AM
Peter Duniho

"Peter R." wrote in message
Today I just saw a four blade prop on a V-tail Bonanza at Niagara Falls
Airport, NY. This seemed a bit unusual to me, but then again, I only
have a few years of flying experience. What are the advantages and
disadvantages of this type of prop?

The only Bonanza I've seen a four-blade prop on was a turbine conversion.
In that case, I'm pretty sure it's a classic example of being the only
practical way to get all of the available power converted to thrust
efficiently without hitting the ground with the prop.

Whether that was the case for the Bonanza you saw, I can't say.

Old September 4th 04, 06:12 PM

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 22:33:46 -0400, Peter R.
wrote:

Today I just saw a four blade prop on a V-tail Bonanza at Niagara Falls
Airport, NY. This seemed a bit unusual to me, but then again, I only
have a few years of flying experience. What are the advantages and
disadvantages of this type of prop?

Here's what the people that sell 'em have to say about it:

http://www.colemill.com/conversion%2...e%20specs.html

TC

Old September 4th 04, 07:35 PM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
wrote:

http://www.colemill.com/conversion%2...e%20specs.html

A couple of guys here have them, but I haven't discussed the
merits/demerits of the installation. The blades are certainly skinny,
though!
Old September 5th 04, 12:05 AM

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 18:35:17 GMT, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:

snip

A couple of guys here have them, but I haven't discussed the
merits/demerits of the installation. The blades are certainly skinny,
though!

Not familiar with the toothpick variety installed on the Bonanza's.

Have been around several Panther/Panther II conversions with the
"wider" 4-blade props. Have played around with a DB meter comparing
them to like aircraft with the 3-blade installation.

There is not a large difference in the "noise" level, but IMHO the
extra blade shifts the apparent frequency of the prop beat, and makes
it appear to be quieter in the cockpit/cabin. The noise/vibration is
slightly higher/smoother.

The pilots I worked with related that they really didn't think there
was much difference performance-wise (comparing 350 hp to 350 hp, not
310 or 325 to 350).

TC

Old September 5th 04, 06:23 AM
Roger Halstead

wrote:

Today I just saw a four blade prop on a V-tail Bonanza at Niagara Falls
Airport, NY. This seemed a bit unusual to me, but then again, I only
have a few years of flying experience. What are the advantages and
disadvantages of this type of prop?

Here's what the people that sell 'em have to say about it:

http://www.colemill.com/conversion%2...e%20specs.html

Every time I try that link it says "connection refused".

I don't know what they say but if it's other than the following I'd
have some serious doubts.

More blades mean shorter blades for a given HP rating.
Shorter blades means less noise.
Bos with 2 blade props are noisy! Tips are supersonic.
More blades also raises the frequency of the noise and that lowers the
apparent noise level.
More blades are less efficient. in cruise, but better climb.
More blades mean less vibration, but they have to be suited to the
harmonics of the engine and engine balance weights.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

TC

Old September 5th 04, 04:09 PM
Tom S.

"Roger Halstead" wrote in message
On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 13:12:53 -0400, wrote:

http://www.colemill.com/conversion%2...e%20specs.html

Every time I try that link it says "connection refused".

I don't know what they say but if it's other than the following I'd
have some serious doubts.

More blades mean shorter blades for a given HP rating.
Shorter blades means less noise.
Bos with 2 blade props are noisy! Tips are supersonic.
More blades also raises the frequency of the noise and that lowers the
apparent noise level.
More blades are less efficient. in cruise, but better climb.
More blades mean less vibration, but they have to be suited to the
harmonics of the engine and engine balance weights.

Works for me...here's what they say:
(Understand, though, that the Q-Tip propellers are quite good at cruise as
well as TO and climb)

New Continental IO-550B 300 horsepower -- for more speed, better climb
and reliability.

New Hartzell 4-blade "Q-Tip" propellers with Woodward governor for an
extremely quiet, vibration-free ride.

Shadin Digiflow fuel computer -- for extremely precise fuel management.

All new accessories, hoses and belts -- for hours of trouble free
service.

Only 10 working days downtime

Compared to a stock Bonanza the Colemill STARFIRE modification gives you...

Shorter takeoff roll

Increase rate of climb

Faster cruising speeds

Much quieter cabin

Distinctive new look

Would that be a kick in the ass when hooked to a Turbo Normalizer.