FS:CoF and why I won't be buying it

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 16th 03, 02:24 AM
Roger Halstead

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 13:16:39 -0400, "Dr. Anthony J. Lomenzo"
wrote:

snip

Sorry for the small novel....

'I' should complain? ;-) Always a pleasure to read your stuff, Roger,

Thanks:-))

here in RAS or in the real-deal av groups which I [and others in RAS]
also frequent. Besides, I see that extra-class ARO ticket of yours
[K8RI] and I'm downright jealous! Alas, 'advanced class' was the end of
the line for me [KD2LP] because when they [still the FCC exams then and
not the later VE gang and advanced knowledge 'pool' books and CW tapes]
ran that extra-class CW tape, well, they may just as well have asked me
to do an ad hoc translation of the Rosetta Stone and/or provide the
definitive philosophical answers to both the origin of man and the
universe! :-( Whew!

I took my exam down at the Detroit FCC office so many years ago I've
forgotten the date. I do remember there was only one more test session
where the Extra could request a specific call though.

When I started on the CW, I copied solid for a good minute. Then I
started thinking...that really interferes with the subconscious:-))
which is what works at that speed. I tried abbreviating for a minute,
then just put my pencil down and listened. Immediately it was like
someone talking. So when we took the tests the only questions I
missed (2) were where I abbreviated. The questions were intentionally
organized so that abbreviating gave the same answer on all the
choices.

Gave it two shots at the Extra code and finally threw in the towel and
remained duly content with Advanced Class. But then I can still do my

I used to get home after work, go down to the ham shack in the
basement, find a conversation on CW that was just a bit faster than I
could copy, turn up the volume to a comfortable level and then stretch
out on the couch for an hour of relaxation. I didn't even try to
copy. I just listened. I wasn't long and I was hearing the
conversation as if they were talking.... Course I had to learn how to
spell all over again as I was now hearing words.

RTTY, CW and phone thing on the bands with decent space and sans
infringement therein because those extra-class types 'WILL' let you know
if you get in or near [QRM blues] their bandwidth! ;-)

:-)) I was down on the bottom end of 20 a few weeks back and some guy
kept telling me I was out of the band. I think they do that to anyone
not of "their" crowd.

If you haven't seen it, here's my antenna system
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/tower.htm and station complete with
sleeping cat...although he's now so big he won't fit in that slot even
with the rotor control gone.

I've been spending most of my spare time trying to get the G-III ready
to fly. Unfortunately I had a set back a few weeks ago and had to
completely redo the fixture for the horizontal stabilizer. About two
more coats of poly Urethane and I'll be able to re-jig the stabilizer
shells. I had hopped to get it closed while Joyce was on her bicycle
tour. At least her sense of smell is shot so I may be able to get
away with doing the resin work in the basement even if the cats and I
have to sleep in the shop. :-))

I'm now on page 9 for the builders diary.
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/glasair9.htm

73 Doc

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)