Cross country to Canada

Old May 15th 05, 02:01 AM
JJS

Reposted without the no-archive sig line per Mr./Mrs./Ms.Grumman-581's
wishes.

I've been invited on a Canadian fishing trip and would like to fly
myself and one passenger to Red Lake, Ontario. We leave June 16th.
I am in the process of preliminary flight planning. I've browsed
the AOPA website for info and called Canadian customs. This will be
my first border crossing and would appreciate any help from you
guys.

Back ground info: I am a VFR pilot only. I have around 800 hours
and I have 3 or 4 cross country trips of similar length under my
belt. I am more comfortable with non-towered airports but have
flown under the Dallas - Fort Worth Class B area some and have no
real fear of towered airports. I've flown into Oshkosh twice. I
just trained and am more familiar with non-towered fields and seem
to meet nice people at smaller fields. To be brutally honest, my
radio skills are adequate but probably not much better, (in spite of
reading Bob Gardners book). Mainly just from lack of practice.
There are few towered fields near my home base. I have an autogas
STC for my Cherokee 140 and will use it if available, but it is not
a show stopper at all if I have to buy 100LL. The Cherokee will be
loaded to within 100 pounds of gross, so adequate runways are a
must, say 2500 feet minimum. A leg length of about 300 NM is
preferred due to fuel & bladder management issues.

1. I would appreciate any advice on airports and small airplane
friendly FBO's along the 900 + nautical mile route from Woodward,
Ok.(KWWR) - Grand Island, Ne. (KGRI) - Sioux Falls, SD (KFSD) -
Baudette, Mn (KBDE) - Red Lake, Ontario (CYRL).

2. Due to the trip length we will probably overnight in Baudette or
somewhere near and I would appreciate recommendations concerning
hotel, rental or courtesy car, and eatery accommodations in that
area. AirNav.com's fuel price data is pitifully ancient on many
airports along this route.

3. If anyone has used Baudette customs coming back into the states,
I would like to hear of your experiences there.

4. Looking over the charts I ordered, the area between Baudette and
Red Lake appears to be full of swamp, lakes and forest with very,
very few emergency landing sites. Safer route suggestions along
this leg would be greatly appreciated, especially from anyone
familiar with the area and its terrain. A detour, even of a hundred
miles or more in the interest of safety will be carefully
considered.

5. For those of you with meteorological crystal balls... What can I
expect for weather conditions in the vicinity of Red Lake and North
of the border in mid - June. I am familiar with the thunderstorms
marching across the plains this time of year but not so familiar
with weather systems that seem to park themselves for days at a time
over one area. Is there much chance of getting weathered in for
more than a day or two?

--
Joe Schneider
8437R

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via
Encryption =----

Old May 15th 05, 03:59 AM
private

I can't help you with terrain but

When the local FSS were closed NavCan recognized that the briefers in the
centers may lack the local knowledge that the local FSS had provided. A
project to gather this local knowledge for briefer training lead to the
production of weather manuals for each of the weather regions. These
manuals are available on their website. The general weather chapter seems
to be common to each manual.

for weather manuals

http://www.navcanada.ca
click english
under flight operations
click local weather manuals

for aviation weather

http://www.navcanada.ca
click english
under flight operations
click aviation weather web site
click route data tab(my favorite) or local data tab

Blue skies to all

Newsgroups

=----

Old May 16th 05, 02:06 AM
JJS

"private" wrote in message
[...]

snip

Bull's-eye!! Anyone interested should go back and read my questions
about local terrain and weather and then check this out. Here's an
example:
Northwestern Ontario is a vast area, much of which lies on the gently
inclining,

rocky and forested terrain of the Canadian Shield. A myriad of lakes
cover the region

and pilots flying it for the first time often find it disorienting,
saying that after a period

of time "it can all start to look the same." Broad sections of the
Shield are also subject

to cloud development under conditions of upslope flow and, while much
of the

terrain is low in elevation, cloud can engulf power lines and
communication towers

perched atop the higher hills making them difficult to see.

A north or northwest flow is upslope across much of this region, and
at Pickle Lake

this is also true for winds out of the west. Winds from these
directions can often generate

broken cloud cover in the absence of larger scale weather systems.
This is frequently

the case in late summer or early winter when prevailing winds begin to
favour

the west or northwest and moisture is still freely available from open
water. In addition,

because of upslope, this region is often slow to clear following the
passage of

frontal systems under a west or northwest flow.

Lake effect convection and precipitation is common to the lee of some
of the larger

lakes where wind direction favours airflow over longer fetches of open
water. This

is most pronounced in the late summer and early winter. Lake effect
convection can

cause marked reduction in local ceilings and visibility, due to
showers. Local reports

of one half mile to one quarter mile visibility in lake effect snow
showers occur relatively

frequently and these conditions can persist over several hours.

Thunderstorms, on average, occur 15 to 20 times per season. They
commonly

develop throughout the summer, peak in frequency during July, and
rarely occur outside

the period between May and September.Widely spaced air mass
thunderstorms

are common, however, more organised lines of thunderstorm activity
often accompany

the passage of cold fronts.

Fog does make an appearance but usually only reduces visibility to
less than half a

mile 2 or 3 times per month. The occurrence of fog is higher in late
summer and early

winter while lakes and rivers remain open and much less frequent after
freeze up.

Radiation fog is the most common, often generating poor visibility
within a few hours

of sunrise, and rarely lasts until the afternoon. Ice fog will
sometimes occur near these

communities in the winter, developing from moisture associated with
chimney smoke

that forms into ice crystals under cold, calm conditions. Aircraft
engine exhaust can

also quickly trigger local ice fog development and temporarily
restrict airport visibility,

until ice crystals gradually settle out.

Blowing snow is not a common occurrence but does occur with greater
frequency

at some of the more exposed sites, like Big Trout Lake.

Based on the above information, I will definitely try and fly the last
leg on a second day in order to be rested. There is a plethora of
applicable information at these links.
Much obliged, Private.

Old May 16th 05, 04:24 AM
private

Glad to be of help. I would recommend these manuals to any student of
weather and would suggest they be required reading for anyone planning a
visit. There are good sections on mountain weather that would be of
interest to anyone flying to Alaska.

I totally agree with other posters that the most important survival
equipment (next to what is between your ears) is insect repellent. I would
also suggest tight weave long sleeve shirts. Often it is sufficient to
apply repellant only to clothing cuffs and collars and to your hat, but make
sure you have lots. Deet is good and many like Avon "skin so soft".

Old May 16th 05, 04:45 AM
Morgans

"private" wrote

.. I would
also suggest tight weave long sleeve shirts. Often it is sufficient to
apply repellant only to clothing cuffs and collars and to your hat, but

make
sure you have lots. Deet is good and many like Avon "skin so soft".

Long sleeves, no doubt, and a bandanna, or such to cover your neck, and some
cotton gloves. In other words, cover every bit of your skin. A hat with a
skeeter net hanging off it wouldn't hurt. Many of you will say that this is
all overkill, but I can not STAND the buggers walking all over me! I had a
couple episodes with the black flies walking around on my arms, but not
biting, and it almost drove me nuts.

Also, having also spent some time in the Amazon's rain forests, you need
much more than the Deepwoods Off, up north. There is a deet product that
you can get that has much more deet than Off, and works a million times
better. I can't remember right now, but I think it is 20% deet, in a small
bottle.
--
Jim in NC

Old May 16th 05, 02:35 AM
JJS

Earlier I posted along with other questions:

"I would appreciate any advice on airports and small airplane
friendly FBO's along the 900 + nautical mile route from Woodward,
Ok.(KWWR) - Grand Island, Ne. (KGRI) - Sioux Falls, SD (KFSD) -
Baudette, Mn (KBDE) - Red Lake, Ontario (CYRL).

Due to the trip length we will probably overnight in Baudette or
somewhere near and I would appreciate recommendations concerning
hotel, rental or courtesy car, and eatery accommodations in that
area. AirNav.com's fuel price data is pitifully ancient on many
airports along this route.
If anyone has used Baudette customs coming back into the states,
I would like to hear of your experiences there."

I've had most of my questions answered but, I am still looking for the
group's experience on the above. Any takers?

Old May 16th 05, 02:05 AM

I was planning to fly to Gimli on Lake Winnipeg last year, but the trip
fell apart. You need a radio operator's licence and the airplane needs
a radio station licence to fly in Canada. You also need proof of
insurance.

Check out the following website for additional information:
Http://www.copanational.org/non-memb...reYouLegal.htm

(I grew up about three hours drive from Winnipeg in the beautiful Red
River Valley of North Dakota.)

Kevin Dunlevy

Old May 16th 05, 09:01 AM
Happy Dog

wrote in message

I was planning to fly to Gimli on Lake Winnipeg last year, but the trip
fell apart. You need a radio operator's licence and the airplane needs
a radio station licence to fly in Canada. You also need proof of
insurance.

Idiot. Did you ask anyone about this sort of trip?

Old May 16th 05, 11:03 AM
Peter Duniho

"Happy Dog" wrote in message
Idiot. Did you ask anyone about this sort of trip?

What makes him an idiot? For that matter, what gives you the right to sit
in judgment regarding whether he's an idiot or not?

Wolfgang: see? All you have to do is post using a fake name...no need to
use x-no-archive. You can behave as badly as you like, all you want,
without fear of someone attributing it to you. No one ever has to know it's
you being such a jerk.

Pete

Old May 16th 05, 02:56 PM
Montblack

("Peter Duniho" wrote)
[snip]
Idiot. Did you ask anyone about this sort of trip?

What makes him an idiot? For that matter, what gives you the right to sit
in judgment regarding whether he's an idiot or not?

In Happy Dog's world, everyone is an idiot!

"Bloviating idiot"
"Babbling idiot"
"F****** idiot"
"Idiot boy"
"Ineducable idiot"

List goes on and on and on.....

Check out Google Groups / "Happy Dog" + idiot

But yeah, I'll watch you and HD go a few rounds. Good luck. :-)

Montblack