Power Flarm Display

Old December 13th 12, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Luke Szczepaniak

Default Power Flarm Display

Recently, I tried buy non-polarized clip-on or flip-up sunglasses for my
prescription glasses. There hundreds, but all were polarized. Does
anyone know where non-polarized clip-ons or flip-ups can be found?

Any reputable optometrist should be able to put non polarized lenses in
your clipon glasses - when I bought my first pair of corrective glasses
the clipons that came by default were polarized, i asked for them to be
replaced with non polarized lenses, it added the benefit of choosing the
tint I wanted. Additionally I would recommend getting corrective
sunglasses instead of clipons for your regular glasses.. I found the
clipons let in too much light between the tinted lens and the corrective
lens. When buying dedicated prescription sunglasses you can choose non
polarized lens.

Cheers,
Luke
Old December 13th 12, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, December 13, 2012 1:33:23 PM UTC-5, Luke Szczepaniak wrote:
Recently, I tried buy non-polarized clip-on or flip-up sunglasses for my prescription glasses. There hundreds, but all were polarized. Does anyone know where non-polarized clip-ons or flip-ups can be found? Any reputable optometrist should be able to put non polarized lenses in your clipon glasses - when I bought my first pair of corrective glasses the clipons that came by default were polarized, i asked for them to be replaced with non polarized lenses, it added the benefit of choosing the tint I wanted. Additionally I would recommend getting corrective sunglasses instead of clipons for your regular glasses.. I found the clipons let in too much light between the tinted lens and the corrective lens. When buying dedicated prescription sunglasses you can choose non polarized lens. Cheers, Luke

So- I lose the polarization which I find is a big help in cloud reading, so that I can read a Flarm display.
Not the best trade off for this pilot.
UH
Old December 13th 12, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Luke Szczepaniak

On 12/13/2012 1:39 PM, wrote:
[...]

I did not realize polarized glasses helped with cloud reading. During
training we were told not to purchase polarized glasses as it may
produce blind spots due to refraction issues/imperfect canopies etc...
Since then I've always been under the (apparently mistaken)impression
that most pilots flew with non-polarized glasses, and have avoided
purchasing anything with polarization. I'll have to give polarized
lenses a try see if they help! I much rather see clearly outside than
any instruments in the cockpit.

Cheers,
Luke
Old December 13th 12, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 17:55:37 -0800, Andrzej Kobus wrote:

I think I need to go to a museum to get a PC with a serial port

The pin-outs are available on the 'net.
A search for "d-9 serial pinout" will find what you need.

There is a still a lot of workshop and test-bench equipment that uses
serial connections. For some things you want a serial connection that can
be secured with screws and is not easily jerked out like a USB plug.
Fortunately multi-port serial PCI adapters are easy to find if your PC
doesn't do serial.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old December 13th 12, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Thursday, December 13, 2012 10:56:34 AM UTC-8, Luke Szczepaniak wrote:
On 12/13/2012 1:39 PM, wrote:

[...]

There are those who swear by polarized glasses (like myself) and those who don't. I only fly with polarized glasses as I find them improving visibility of clouds, haze domes AND other gliders significantly, as well as reducing canopy reflections. I suspect those who claim otherwise didn't give them a try. I definitely not intend to give up my polarized glasses so I can read the flarm display. The solution as I suggested earlier is to rotate the display or switch to the panel mount display. Perhaps putting more pressure on the butterfly folks to address this issue will help.

Ramy
Old December 14th 12, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kimmo Hytoenen

Reflected light can get polarized, and then filtered totally by lenses
with 90 degree difference in polarization angle. Therefore using
polarized lenses is not a good idea IMHO.

Old December 14th 12, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Thursday, December 13, 2012 4:36:40 PM UTC-8, Kimmo Hytoenen wrote:
Reflected light can get polarized, and then filtered totally by lenses

with 90 degree difference in polarization angle. Therefore using

polarized lenses is not a good idea IMHO.

And so what? That would be an issue if specular reflected polarized light the only thing we see other aircraft with. Polarized sunglasses can also significantly darken a sky, making a white glider stand out more. There is not a single scientific study that I am aware of that properly studies all the factors and addresses the real visibility of other aircraft and whether you wear polarized glasses or not. The FAA does not offer any useful proof/research here but keep repeating this specular reflection/visibility point, and is what basically appears to be somebody's tarted up opinion.

The real issues I've run into over years of flying power aircraft and gliders with polarized sunglasses are certain instruments/displays or stress patterns in some aircraft windows. And here is the IQ test... you get to try those out on the ground before you fly and make a decision if its OK or not.

Darryl
Old December 16th 12, 11:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_32_]

On Thursday, December 13, 2012 1:56:34 PM UTC-5, Luke Szczepaniak wrote:
On 12/13/2012 1:39 PM, wrote:

[...]

Luke, I bet then that no one has told you of the special "thermal coloring glasses" (works just like in Condor).

Old December 17th 12, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 5:44:06 PM UTC-5, Richard wrote:
On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 10:28:43 AM UTC-8, bumper wrote:

On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 10:17:39 AM UTC-8, Morteza Ansari wrote: Not sure which butterfly display we are talking about, but the rectangular display that comes with the brick is anything but *useless* to anyone flying with polarized sun glasses. It is polarized incorrectly which means if you mount it in horizontal orientation you see practically nothing on the display. Yes, but it works just fine with my polarized glasses in the vertical mode. So I made a bracket to hold it at the edge of the glareshield to the left of center. Since the device and display are rotatable in increments of 90 degrees, and since all LCD displays I've seen are polarized in one plane or another, Butterfly had to pick one knowing full well that it would please some and offend others of the polarized sun glassed crowd. No way for them to win! bumper

The latest Firmware Version of the Butterfly display is out 3.01

It has:

New Features:

• Nondirectional traffic is shown permanently (PCAS)

• Supports PowerFLARM® CORE

• NEAREST-Mode, always automatically shows nearest target

• Units con"gurable

• Enhanced Menu

Improvements:

• Better stability with many received targets

• new dynamical menu for future extensions.

• 3.0.1: Better font readability

I just saw an ADS B target the fonts are much larger and readable.

You need a special cable to update the firmware.

Make the cable instructions and get firmware at

http://www.butterfly-avionics.com/in...upport-english

or send to your dealer or Craggy Aero.

Richard

www.craggyaero.com

All,

I looked at the update information, and although it specified what connector pins on the display connector (RJ-12) were to be connected to what pins on a PC serial connector, it didn't specify the connector itself or address the issue of how one determines whether or not the PC can supply 3.3vdc on pin 5. I emailed the Butterfly folks, and I have copied the reply here. You will note that the reply still doesn't directly address the 3.3vdc issue, but at this point I'm confident enough that its not going to be a problem that I plan to fabricate a RJ12-DB9 cable and give it a whirl.

Frank (TA)

------------------------------------- CUT HERE ---------------------------
Aktualisiert von: Frank Paynter, 14. Dez 15:40 (CET):
Hi,

I would like to update the firmware on my PowerFlarm Butterfly display, but
I'm a bit confused by the directions for fabricating the required update
cable. Note that I'm an Electrical Engineer with over 40 years of bench
design and fabrication experience, so if I'm confused, I expect others are
as well.

The instructions provide a pinout for the display-end connector, with notes
as to where each pin should go on the PC end. However, the PC-end
connector isn't specified - is it supposed to be a DB9 serial connector?
If so, you must know that DB9 serial connectors aren't widely available on
modern PC's; I have 6 PCs in my home office, and not one of them has a DB9
serial connector. When I need serial port connectivity, I use a popular
USB-serial adapter. Will your display update properly when using such an
adapter?

Your specification calls for pin 5 of the RJ-12 connector to be tied to
+3.3VDC, but this isn't a common voltage for serial communications. What
happens if this line is connected to +5 or even +12 VDC?

Regards,

Frank

Aktualisiert von: Marc Foerderer, 17. Dez 11:54 (CET):
Dear Frank,

thanks for your message.

Yes a normal RS232 to USB adapter works fine, the connector depends of course on your use-case. Most PCs or at least RS232 serial adapters have a DB9 connector.

3v3DC is the supply voltage for the device itself, the RS232 pins are 12V tolerant.

If you have more questions, please contact me

Best regards
Marc Förderer
Butterfly Avionics GmbH

Old December 17th 12, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

On Monday, December 17, 2012 9:02:00 AM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

Frank,

Please post an update if all goes well. I prefer not to tune my device for maximum smoke if there is some other brave soul willing to go first!

tks

bumper