Power Flarm Display

Old March 19th 13, 05:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

Default Power Flarm Display

The pressure you can put on butterfly is to sell your butterfly to that one guy that doesn't use polarized glasses, and get a FlarmView display. works great with polarized glasses, brighter, louder, and better interface.

Matt

I agree with Morteza, the polarizer filter should have match the most common layout, which is most likely horizontal. Or they could have provided 2 versions. Perhaps if we put more pressure they will. However with some effort you will most likely find a place to mount it vertically as I did, or switch to the in panel display if you have space, as it is polarized correctly and has louder volume.

Ramy

Old March 19th 13, 09:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Monday, March 18, 2013 10:26:57 PM UTC-7, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
The pressure you can put on butterfly is to sell your butterfly to that one guy that doesn't use polarized glasses, and get a FlarmView display. works great with polarized glasses, brighter, louder, and better interface.

Matt

I agree with Morteza, the polarizer filter should have match the most common layout, which is most likely horizontal. Or they could have provided 2 versions. Perhaps if we put more pressure they will. However with some effort you will most likely find a place to mount it vertically as I did, or switch to the in panel display if you have space, as it is polarized correctly and has louder volume.

Ramy

I ended up replacing my rectangular display with the 57mm display which works well with polarized glasses and is a bit louder. They are already working on improving the UI to address some of the issues such as font size and PCAS distance as far as I know. Will be nice to have more configuration options as the Flarmview seem to have. All these should be relatively easy to do with firmware upgrades, so am hoping Butterfly folks are reading this and realizing they may be loosing customers to Flarmview otherwise. BTW I am not sure that flarmview supports firmware upgrades via Powerflarm as butterfly will with the next firmware.

Ramy
Old March 19th 13, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Tuesday, March 19, 2013 2:12:43 PM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
On Monday, March 18, 2013 10:26:57 PM UTC-7, Matt Herron Jr. wrote: The pressure you can put on butterfly is to sell your butterfly to that one guy that doesn't use polarized glasses, and get a FlarmView display. works great with polarized glasses, brighter, louder, and better interface. Matt I agree with Morteza, the polarizer filter should have match the most common layout, which is most likely horizontal. Or they could have provided 2 versions. Perhaps if we put more pressure they will. However with some effort you will most likely find a place to mount it vertically as I did, or switch to the in panel display if you have space, as it is polarized correctly and has louder volume. Ramy I ended up replacing my rectangular display with the 57mm display which works well with polarized glasses and is a bit louder. They are already working on improving the UI to address some of the issues such as font size and PCAS distance as far as I know. Will be nice to have more configuration options as the Flarmview seem to have. All these should be relatively easy to do with firmware upgrades, so am hoping Butterfly folks are reading this and realizing they may be loosing customers to Flarmview otherwise. BTW I am not sure that flarmview supports firmware upgrades via Powerflarm as butterfly will with the next firmware. Ramy

Ramy,

FlarmView has a mini SD Card for firmware, software, data upgrades to the display.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old March 22nd 13, 04:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

On Monday, March 18, 2013 7:44:54 AM UTC-7, Andy wrote:
On Mar 17, 6:03*pm, Evan Ludeman wrote:

*Sadly, my mode c/s pcas range on powerflarm still stinks, it's one or two miles *at best*. *Saw a bizjet rip by at less than 2 miles. *Not a peep :-(.

I'm glad to hear another report of this. It exactly matches my

experience. Head on traffic less than a mile away - in sight ,

alerted by ZAON PCAS, and Power FLARM portable indicated nothing!

I hope FLARM will eventually recognize this problem and correct it.

Until then I don't fly without my ZAON MRX.

Andy

Andy,

When I did a side-by-side comparison with PowerFlarm PCAS function and a Proxalert R5 on the glare shield of my Husky, I found that the R5 was interfering with the PF. The R5 would show a PCAS target which would not show up on the PF until I turned off the R5.

I didn't test the PF with the ZAON, as by then I'd sold it in favor of the R5, mostly because that gives target squawk code. I wonder if the proximity between your ZAON and PowerFlarm is affecting your results?

bumper
Old March 25th 13, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Thursday, March 21, 2013 9:36:50 PM UTC-7, bumper wrote:
[...]

I tried that early on and did not notice any correlation between the two. The latest firmwares improved the PCAS range and now it is comparable to the Zaon but the Zaon is still detecting more consistently and accurately than the PF. AFAIK they are still working on improving the PCAS functionality.

Ramy