iPAQ 310 won't shut down

Old July 8th 09, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Default iPAQ 310 won't shut down

Hi Paolo,

Thanks for the note.

When in street navigation mode the unit stays off when I power it off. So
that way it will be possible to have it on the charger with the screen off -
which is great. But when in the Windows CE shell it turns itself back on
after I turn it off.

The only software programs I've installed (on the SD card) are SeeYou Mobile
and the screen rotate utility. My guess is that the screen rotate utility
is the culprit.

Below you mention the backlight a bit. I have the backlight working fine.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Paul Remde

"PCool" wrote in message
I have reprogrammed the backlight system for HP310/2/4/6 in the XCSoar
package I am supporting.
So I know how it works, since I can control the beast automatically.
I think that for some reason you have spoiled the registry of Windows CE.
The question is: does the automatic switch on occurs also when you are
running the native Oasis car navigation software?
I mean you start the device in car navigation mode, plug it in for
charging, and then press the key to switch it off.

What software have you run that potentially could have caused this
problem?
Do you have any software for flying that attempts to set backlight or
power system?
I warn people: there is NO standard way of managing backlight on windows
ce, so either the programmers have done it correctly for the 310 PNA or
they may have simply spoiled your registry and results are unpredictable.

paolo

"Paul Remde" ha scritto nel messaggio
Hi,

This is the most strange thing I've seen with a PDA or PNA. The unit is
again in the mode where it can't be shut off. It does shut off, but
turns back on all by itself about 3 seconds after it is turned off. This
occurs only when connected to the unit's wall charger. In my note below
I stated that the solution to the problem could have been using the
"Suspend" option from the start menu. That does not work, so I must
assume that the solution was leaving the battery out of the unit
overnight without it being connected to external power. I'll try that
again after I go soaring tomorrow.

Has anyone else seen this?

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

"Paul Remde" wrote in message
Hi,

Thanks for the tips everyone.

It is working fine now. I'm not sure if the fix was from leaving the
battery out of the unit overnight, or from selecting "Suspend" from the
start menu. I can now turn it on and off using the on/off button and it
stays off even while connected to the wall charger.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

"Paul Remde" wrote in message
Hi,

I have been doing a lot of playing with my iPAQ 310 and SeeYou Mobile
for PNA. Somehow the unit is now in a mode in which I can't turn it
off so that it stays off while connected to the wall charger. Every
time I turn it off it turns itself right back on. If I disconnect it
from the wall charger I can turn it off and it stays off. I want to be
able to charge the unit with the unit turned off - to preserve the life
of the backlight as much as possible.

I don't think the unit did this when it was new. I have a customer's
iPAQ 310 in hand and it will stay off while connected to a wall
charger.

I must have adjusted some power setting, but I can't seem to figure it
out. The only thing I've installed is the screen rotate driver and
SeeYou Mobile on the SD card.

The issue occurs regardless of whether the unit is in SeeYou Mobile /
WinCE mode, or the street navigation mode.

I have rebooted the unit several times (soft reset) but I don't think
there is any way to do a hard reset. I tried removing the main battery
for a few seconds while the unit was turned on an that didn't help,.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

My next thing to try is to take the main battery out and leave it out
overnight.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

Old July 10th 09, 11:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PCool

Hi Paul

I mention backlight because its setting is mixed up with power schemes,
particularly in your Ipaq 310.
So your ipaq has got nothing else than a faulty software that is spoiling
the registry.
It is very easy to fix, just look on gpspassion for a copy of the registry.