Coordinating turns visually

Old January 6th 07, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.student.aviation
Mxsmanic

Default Coordinating turns visually

Since my simulator is not full-motion, I can't judge the quality of a
turn by feel. However, it stands to reason that I should be able to
detect slipping or skidding visually, by watching how the horizon
moves out the window--after all, any movement of the aircraft will
change the view out the window. Can anyone offer suggestions on how I
can best recognize a coordinated turn by looking outside the aircraft?

My guess is that, if the horizon doesn't move in a direction other
than horizontally (aligned with the horizon) the turn is coordinated,
but I'm not sure about this (I'm still doing experiments).

Old January 7th 07, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.student.aviation
JK

A good technique is to pick a spot on the ground just above the cowling and
watch how it moves relative to the cowling when you start the turn. For
instance, when rolling left, for a left turn, without any rudder input, the
spot on the ground will initially move the wrong way relative to the cowling
(i.e., to the left, because the nose is yawing to the right). However, with
proper application of left rudder accompanying the left aileron deflection,
the spot will initially remain stationary. In my Cherokee, this effect is
small. I don't know how larger aircraft behave.

Old January 7th 07, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.student.aviation
Mxsmanic

JK writes:

A good technique is to pick a spot on the ground just above the cowling and
watch how it moves relative to the cowling when you start the turn. For
instance, when rolling left, for a left turn, without any rudder input, the
spot on the ground will initially move the wrong way relative to the cowling
(i.e., to the left, because the nose is yawing to the right). However, with
proper application of left rudder accompanying the left aileron deflection,
the spot will initially remain stationary. In my Cherokee, this effect is
small. I don't know how larger aircraft behave.

Sounds like a plan. MSFS has a little red aircraft you can
superimpose on the windshield for this purpose (not realistic, but
useful for training). I may try that to see if I can get it right.

Old January 7th 07, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.student.aviation
Crash Lander[_1_]

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Sounds like a plan. MSFS has a little red aircraft you can
superimpose on the windshield for this purpose (not realistic, but
useful for training). I may try that to see if I can get it right.

It does? How do I activate that?
Crash Lander

Old January 8th 07, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.student.aviation
Mxsmanic

Crash Lander writes:

It does? How do I activate that?

Views | View options | Axis indicator

procedure turns revisited [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 37 June 20th 06 03:39 AM
Why is a standard hold right turns? Roy Smith Instrument Flight Rules 51 August 28th 04 06:09 PM
Canyon Turns Marc Lattoni Piloting 35 March 19th 04 06:02 PM
Slipping in Turns Jim Hendrix Soaring 16 November 30th 03 04:39 PM
Can F-15s making 9G turns with payload? Paul J. Adam Military Aviation 114 September 27th 03 05:47 AM