Global Warming The debbil made me do it

Old March 8th 08, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John T

Default Global Warming The debbil made me do it

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

I've already posted a list of the major professional scientific
organizations which have issued position papers acknowledging the
fact of anthropogenic climate change. Do you have an alternate list?

*That* list is the consensus you speak of? Oh. Well. I *must* be wrong,
then.

I guess I could quickly compile a list of anti-AGW peers of your peers, but
I seriously doubt the effort is worth it since you're so tied to your own
belief system.

--
John T
http://sage1solutions.com/blogs/TknoFlyer

Old March 8th 08, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.global-warming
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"Dan Luke" wrote in
:

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote:

My first bike was good fun, too. A '59 Cushman Eagle..

Heh.

Hadn't thought about those in a long time.

One of my friends used his on his paper route. Another friend tried
to beat a train on his and got smushed.

They were *the* cool thing to have in my neighborhood. I yearned
desperately for one but only got to ride on the back of a few.

On the little rack or did your buds mount a buddy pad there? Mine only
had one seat which was a PITA, but it probably wouldn;t have hauled tow
up so well anyway. They are going for big bucks nowadays!

Bertie
Old March 8th 08, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Dan wrote in
:

On Mar 8, 2:48 pm, "Dan Luke" wrote:
"John T" wrote:
http://www.sourcewatch.org
http://www.realclimate.org

Not examples of balanced or un-biased sites. These don't help you
any more than usinghttp://junkscience.comwould help me convince you
of the fallacy of your belief in AGW.

Invalid comparison.

junkscience is run by a lobbyist with a documented history of
creating disinformation in the service of tobacco, chemical and oil
corporations. Although Milloy frequently represents himself as an
expert on scientific matters, he is not a scientist himself. He has
never published original research in peer-reviewed scientific
journals.

You may disagree with the scientists on RealClimate, but their
reputations in their profession are intact despite years of slander
(against Mann, in particular) by people like Milloy.

I'm learning more -- such as -- your guys are pure, unsullied by
interests, while anyone who dares proffer contrary data must be a
minion of the evil capitalists...

IOW, you have no interest in learning anything but how to reinforce your
postition.

I admire your expertise in the resorting to the ad hominem argument.

Bull****.

OK, done for now. heading outside to chop down a tree and burn it for
heat.

Which will grow a new tree in time.
Good start..

Bertie

Old March 8th 08, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John T

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message

it's pretty obvious you won;t be convinced.

Not until the data proves AGW is correct. I don't dispute recent increases
in temperature, but I have not seen any conclusive link to human activity
being the cause nor have I seen evidence the temperature changes are outside
"normal" ranges.

This is not some blind adherence to a pre-determined position nor is it
succumbing to peer pressure (which your lame "idiot" reference attempts to
accomplish). Take a look for yourself at the raw data for temperature
reconstructions from NASA and other sources. Here's a good start:
http://gcmd.nasa.gov/ (particularly the paleoclimate sets)

I've been perusing this site and others for a few years now downloading and
charting the data myself to see what the trends are. Frankly, in a
historical sense, recent temperature changes are entirely within "normal"
parameters for temperature reconstructions in both northern and southern
hemispheres.

The only temperature reconstructions that show alarming trends are those
based on the data sets like Mann's famed "hockey stick" and those data sets
have been questioned enough by his peers that I don't need to do so here.

The fact remains: Current temperatures are well within the norm defined as
the range of temperatures for the last 8,000 years.

(Nice try with the distro expansion, BTW.)

Old March 8th 08, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_10_]

On Mar 8, 3:44 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

OK, done for now. heading outside to chop down a tree and burn it for
heat.

Which will grow a new tree in time.
Good start..

Bertie

Yep. That's how it works. Great system, eh?

Old March 8th 08, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.global.warming,alt.usenet.kooks
Peter J Ross[_2_]

In alt.usenet.kooks on Sat, 8 Mar 2008 20:06:17 +0000 (UTC), Bertie
the Bunyip wrote:

"John T" wrote in
m:

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

"The opposite of science is not religion; the opposite of science is
wishful thinking."
-John Derbyshire

Yup. That's what the AGW crowd uses as justification for their
hysteria.

**** you. I'm not hysterical.

Bertie

NEITHER AM I AND I'LL SUE ANYONE WHO SAYS DIFFERENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--
PJR :-)
Old March 8th 08, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_10_]

On Mar 8, 4:27 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Yep. That's how it works. Great system, eh?

Yes, it is.

Bertie

OK.. story time...

In July 1983 I was an Air Force NCO (sergeant) working 7 day/week12
hour night shifts (6 PM to 6 AM) helping stand-up the Air Launched
Cruise Missile (ALCM) for the 416 Bombardment Wing at Griffiss Air
Force base in upstate NY.

At the time the missile's fielding was in the news as the Soviets
claimed it was "destabilizing" etc, etc. The ALCM was also an issue in
Canadian politics as we (The US Air Force) used a test range in the
Northwest territories which resembled Soviet terrain.

For a variety of reasons, a group of Canadians marched from Canada
down to Rome, NY to protest.

After a shift the day was perfect -- sunny, warm, light breeze. I was
sick of driving home, sleeping, getting up, and driving back, so on a
lark I jumped in my blue Ford Escort and headed north.

I was still in uniform when I came upon the marchers out in desolate
stretch of backcountry road. I smiled and waved as I drove north as
they marched south, but I don't think they knew who or what I was.

Near the end of the line a few guys jumped the line and made me stop
my car. When a few saw my uniform they scurried off, until half a
dozen surrounded my car. I rolled the windows down and said, "So
what's going on, eh?"

(As background -- my mother's family is Canadian and I spent my first
5 years in Canada and every summer after that. This meant I had the
twin cultural burdens of arrogance and guilt).

A few shouted slogans and I just waved them off.

One stayed near the passenger side window and had a cooler head. Soon
we were in a deep discussion about the nature of war, the insanity of
MAD, and the relative morality of Soviet and American empire.

This went on for about 45 minutes, when it dawned on both of us that
his group was now far, far down the road.

"Hop in and I'll give you a ride back," says I.

"Sure," says he and away we go, passing slow enough that everyone in
the crowd could see one of their number being hauled away in a Blue
Escort by a US Air Force NCO.

I stopped at the head of the line and he got out. We shook hands and
wished each other well while his cohorts looked on it stunned shock.

I drove home and went to bed, thinking nothing more of it, until the
next day when the Squadron First Sergeant said the CO heard about some
rogue Airmen helping out the protesters (they later made it on base
and threw some blood/red paint on the bone bird -- a B-52 hulk used
for parts and lightly guarded).

I borrowed my wife's car the next few days.

Dan

NY Times link: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...C0A9659482 60)

Old March 8th 08, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Dan wrote in
:

[...]

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=

9400E0D61038F935A2575AC0
A965948260)

If there's a point I don;t see it.

Bertie

Old March 8th 08, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.global-warming
WJRFlyBoy

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 11:36:03 -0500, Talk-n-Dog wrote:

!!! I've never done 150 on a bike! My BMW will do about 110 and that's

Ducati will do 130, been there.

Done that and never again unless it has 4 wheels and a roll bar.
--
Remove numbers for gmail and for God's sake it ain't "gee" either!