Concealed Carry In MY ASW27

Old April 3rd 20, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Concealed Carry In MY ASW27

Just mount them ti shoot backward n hit the trigger when u need a little boost.
Old April 3rd 20, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Punctuation makes a huge difference....I heard that (decade+) about Panda bears....actually think it was a grammar book many years ago....LOL....no slight....just saying....
Old April 3rd 20, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Fri, 03 Apr 2020 09:35:34 -0700, greggballou wrote:

On Friday, April 3, 2020 at 7:55:35 AM UTC-4, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Thu, 02 Apr 2020 17:10:31 -0700, towsked wrote:

On Thursday, April 2, 2020 at 4:11:39 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
If you fire an AK-47 and a .22 pistol simultaneously and
horizontally,
which round will hit the ground first?Â* There's quite a difference
in velocity between those two.Â* (A bored engineer/glider pilot
here.)

Dan, 5J

s=ut +½ g t^2

Both land simultaneously at 0.56 +/- 0.01 secs.

Is that only true in a vacuum? Or from a short height. Heavier objects
fall faster in the real world.

Its certainly true for a solid alloy object.

This nosecone is 40mm long, 23mm max diam and weighs 22g.

More important question if you had mounted firearms on a glider how much
would the glide angle be reduced by recoil? And does the effect change
at different speeds?

Ask a fighter pilot that, or (better) a Warthog driver. All I know,
second hand, is that a long squirt whether with .303s or 0.5s slowed a WW2
fighter down quite noticeably.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old April 3rd 20, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Wednesday, April 1, 2020 at 1:47:53 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
A shoulder holster under your parachute harness might work.Â* When I was
flying in Alaska in the 70s I tried carrying my .44 Magnum six shooter
with a 6-inch barrel in a shoulder holster but it was too big.Â* The butt
was just under my chin and the muzzle was stuck against the seat pack
parachute in the ejection seat.Â* I took it out, handed it down to my
crew chief, told him to be careful as it was loaded, and went off to fly
the mission.

On 4/1/2020 12:06 AM, John Foster wrote:
On Tuesday, March 31, 2020 at 6:31:44 PM UTC-6, Charles Longley wrote:
Actually this is kind of a funny thread! Coronavirus has certainly taken the spotlight off gun control. I don’t carry in my glider. But it’s a thought. I prefer the plastic fantastic Glock. It’s really easy to train family members on. If it was just me I would probably carry a custom 1911.

I've been trying to figure out how I'd carry a G20 (10mm) on my person while flying. I live in bear country, and a land-out in the woods could have some extra danger. I thought about using a Hill People Gear kit bag, but it is positioned in just the wrong place where it blocks access to the D-ring of the rip chord of my parachute. A drop leg holster would interfere with access to the elevator trim. And appendix carry would crunch the nuts.. I may have to consider an ankle holster, but a G20 doesn't fit real well down there either. Thoughts?

--
Dan, 5J

I used to live at an airport community. One night at twilight, while my 110 pound lab with laryngital paralysis, Carson and I were returning from a hangar a few rows over, we noticed a couple walking on the same path that lived in a hangar just two down from mine, so we picked up our pace to catch them. Carson's breathing was labored by his condition and he made a loud huffing sound. As we approached the couple from behind, the woman (Valorie)grabs her man's arm thrusts her leg in front to swing over her leg tripping him and she starts running. I helped my neighbor up off the ground Carson gave everyone a big greeting, then the questions started. Turns out, Valorie thought Carson's labored breathing was a bear, so she threw her husband to be on the ground and started to run away. Ten years later I had heard they were still together and still not married.
Old April 3rd 20, 09:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Wednesday, April 1, 2020 at 3:50:46 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
Better to have it and not need it...Â* What if your engine won't start?

-
Dan, 5J

What if your gun won't go bang? What if it does at the wrong time and pointed in the wrong direction?
Old April 3rd 20, 09:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I think I trust me, my gun, and my aim more than your engine as far as “reliability” goes.
Old April 3rd 20, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Wednesday, April 1, 2020 at 8:16:34 PM UTC-7, Steve Bralla wrote:
On Tuesday, March 31, 2020 at 3:46:26 PM UTC-7, Bob Youngblood wrote:
What a surprise, just today my son brought me a great gift to fight off the flaming liberals at the gliderport. It is a Bulgarian AK47 with 2000 rounds of ammunition. Thank god that I raised this kid correctly, educated him and he achieved the status of a Structural Engineer, PE.
He advised me to be careful of the soft trigger, and he told me to take it with me at all times to fend off all the flaming liberals even at the gliderport. I told him not to worry, I carry two pistols in the 27 and Eileen has one in the 24. Nothing like a family of glider pilots being well prepared for the Flaming Liberals.
I was hoping to make plans to fly around Lake Okeechobee again this week, but the weather is not in my favor. I have never smelt anything better than Hoppy,s # 9 gun oil or flew better that a ASW. Bob

I stated flying XC 40 years ago in SoCal in hang gliders and now in sailplanes. I can't think of a time that I thought I needed a gun when I landed out. I don't care if you have a gun but wonder about your need to brag about it. Is that like the guys with the 4x4s with the big and stupid tires with small hands?
I also wonder about your need to have guns to defeat the "flaming" liberals at your gliderport. Can't beat them with ideas? We have both libs and cons where I fly, no guns needed. We all like beer.

I started to fly XC 30 years ago and have never even considered being armed in a glider, at a gliderport, or really anywhere for that matter. However, there was on time in a flying career that spans many thousands of hours over many types of aircraft that it might have been nice to have a gun, but I had the training and experience to be safe without one. Right at sunset, I had a NiCad battery run away in an MD520N helicopter in the backcountry. Had to do an E-landing in a deep ravine at sunset. Thought I was prepared for this and the biggest mistake of all was among the 5 flashlights I had on board, not a single one could shine white light!!!! I was grounded and the fire had been contained to just the battery box. Didn't really have an emergency so I didn't want to trip the ELT. I started stumbling around in the dark, very dark, trying to find a place I could get cell coverage. Started to think maybe not a good idea with such limited visibility. Took stock of where I was and started moving back toward the helicopter when I notice a large cat was paralleling my course. I stopped, it stopped and sat. I started walking, that cat started walking. The cat has built in night vision, and switch blades on the end of every finger. In addition a cat has cat like reflexes. Yeah, I was fully aware now. I stood as tall as I could with arms out walked on toes at a steady pace back to bird and when I had to turn my back to open the open my skin was crawling. I have always owned a domestic cat and I know when you turn your back that is when they bite. It all worked out and I bought an STC Gel Cell battery.
Old April 3rd 20, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Wednesday, April 1, 2020 at 11:34:43 PM UTC-7, bumper wrote:
No Dan even keep an empty chamber under the hammer, but in texas strong conditions I may need to reconsider that and add the weight lol.

Here's a link to youtube video that shows what can tragically happen if carrying chamber empty with a semi-auto. https://youtu.be/0FXHVjXPtJk

bumper

Here is a counter point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUonA66btgI

A gun that is not loaded is a threat to the possessor. A gun that is loaded can be a threat to everyone around.
Old April 3rd 20, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

[...]

I have a gliding question? How does wing loading compare to span loading?
Old April 3rd 20, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On Friday, April 3, 2020 at 5:01:17 PM UTC-4, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
[...]

Yes, wing structural loads vary with length.