Military expert casts doubt on Earhart photo claims

Old July 9th 17, 05:08 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Miloch

Default Military expert casts doubt on Earhart photo claims

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/...UeO?li=BBnb7Kz

A Marshall Islands-based military expert has cast further doubt on claims that a
blurry photograph shows famed US aviatrix Amelia Earhart alive in the territory
in 1937.

The fate of the legendary American and her navigator Fred Noonan during their
round-the-world flight is one of aviation's greatest mysteries, and has
fascinated historians for decades.

Earhart and Noonan vanished on July 2, 1937 after taking off from Lae, Papua New
Guinea, and the prevailing belief is that they ran out of fuel and ditched their
twin-engine Lockheed Electra in the Pacific Ocean near remote Howland Island.

But a documentary being aired on the History Channel -- "Amelia Earhart: The
Lost Evidence" -- claims to have unearthed a beguiling new clue about what
happened to the pair.

The program suggests that Earhart, who was seeking to become the first woman
flier to circumnavigate the globe, and Noonan may have survived and been taken
prisoner by Japanese forces.

It cites a blurry black-and-white photograph discovered in the National Archives
in Washington, purportedly showing the pair in the Marshall Islands after their
capture.

But military expert Matthew B. Holly​ told AFP the photo appeared to have
been taken about a decade earlier.

"From the Marshallese visual background, lack of Japanese flags flying on any
vessels but one, and the age configuration of the steam-driven steel vessels,
the photo is closer to the late 1920s or early 1930s, not anywhere near 1937,"
he told AFP.

Holly, an American living in Majuro, has spent decades identifying the locations
of lost US aircraft and the identities of American servicemen killed in action
in the western Pacific nation.

He added that by January 1937 the Japanese had closed most of Micronesia to
foreign vessels, "including Marshallese commerce, which is obviously flourishing
in this photo.

"Additionally, there are no Japanese sailors to be seen."

There is no dispute that the photo shows the dock at Jabor Island in Jaluit
Atoll, which was the headquarters for Japan's administration of the Marshall
Islands between World War I and World War II.

During the 1920s and early 1930s, Japanese businesses flourished on Jaluit,
purchasing copra -- dried coconut flesh used to make coconut oil -- from
Marshall Islanders.

But The International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery (TIGHAR), which has
spent decades trying to figure out what happened to Earhart and Noonan, also
disputes that they are the pair in the photo.

Executive director Richard Gillespie previously told AFP the photo was
"laughable" as a piece of evidence.

"This is just a picture of some people on Jaluit wharf," he said. "Where are the
Japanese? Where are the soldiers?"

Marshall Islanders have also claimed over the years that Earhart and Noonan
survived an emergency landing and were captured by the Japanese.

Two years ago, American investigators additionally said they had located parts
of Earhart's plane on Mili Atoll in the Marshall Islands.

But Holly maintained it was unlikely the photo was taken in 1937.

"Generally, there would be a series of photos in the same folder which could
have also time-dated the photo," Holly said.

"There is no date of 1937 associated with this photo."

*

Old July 11th 17, 08:54 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bob (not my real pseudonym)[_2_]

With what The History Channel has become, I'm surprised they didn't
claim 'proof' that aliens had kidnapped them using the black hole in
the Bermuda Triangle...
Old July 11th 17, 02:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Miloch

In article , not my real pseudonym
says...

With what The History Channel has become, I'm surprised they didn't
claim 'proof' that aliens had kidnapped them using the black hole in
the Bermuda Triangle...

I had it on but with the sound off as I did something else. I think it was a
case of the History Channel trying to fill in air time with something 'edgy'.

*

Old July 11th 17, 03:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-07-11 07:54:06 +0000, "Bob (not my real pseudonym)"
said:

With what The History Channel has become, I'm surprised they didn't
claim 'proof' that aliens had kidnapped them using the black hole in
the Bermuda Triangle...

Since the Murdoch take over of The History Channel, Discovery Channel,
The Learning Channel, Velocity, and in some way, The NatGeo Channel
they are all emulating his tabloid publications, and Fox News by
presenting us with "alternate facts", or anything else the gullible,
uninformed public might be prepared to believe.
--
Regards,

Savageduck

Old July 11th 17, 04:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Miloch

In article 2017071107110577904-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck says...

On 2017-07-11 07:54:06 +0000, "Bob (not my real pseudonym)"
said:

With what The History Channel has become, I'm surprised they didn't
claim 'proof' that aliens had kidnapped them using the black hole in
the Bermuda Triangle...

Since the Murdoch take over of The History Channel, Discovery Channel,
The Learning Channel, Velocity, and in some way, The NatGeo Channel
they are all emulating his tabloid publications, and Fox News by
presenting us with "alternate facts", or anything else the gullible,
uninformed public might be prepared to believe.

Japanese Blogger Discredits New Amelia Earhart Documentary After 30 Minutes of
Research

http://jezebel.com/japanese-blogger-...ent-1796805871

A new documentary on the History Channel presented the theory that Amelia
Earhart survived her crash landing, was taken prisoner in Japan, and the
American government has worked for years to cover it up. This theory was largely
supported by a single photograph, which a blogger seems to have unearthed in the
Japanese national archives, immediately disproving the whole thing.

The Guardian reports that military history blogger Kota Yamano published the
photo to his blog in the proper context, finding it after about 30 minutes of
looking through Japan’s national library, on a page from a Japanese-language
travel book on the South Seas. The book was published in 1935, two years before
Amelia Earhart’s ill-fated plane took off, and she almost certainly met her
death on an uninhabited island in the Pacific. Yamano seems surprised the
documentary-makers didn’t try to corroborate the photo better:

“I have never believed the theory that Earhart was captured by the Japanese
military, so I decided to find out for myself,” Yamano told the Guardian. “I was
sure that the same photo must be on record in Japan.”

Yamano ran an online search using the keyword “Jaluit atoll” and a decade-long
timeframe starting in 1930.

“The photo was the 10th item that came up,” he said. “I was really happy when I
saw it. I find it strange that the documentary makers didn’t confirm the date of
the photograph or the publication in which it originally appeared. That’s the
first thing they should have done.”

The documentary interviews retired US treasury agent Les Kinney, who found a
version of the undated image in the U.S. archives and used it to support the
idea that Earhart and her navigator Fred Noonan ended up on the Marshall Islands
and were killed by the Japanese, though their journey predates the beginnings of
WWII.

Other Earhart obsessives have long contested this conspiracy theory, which has
been around for decades. Such as Ric Gillespie, executive director of the
International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery, who told The Guardian that
even aside from the blurriness of the figures being described as Earhart and
Noonan, the harbor visuals indicate that the photo was likely taken in the early
‘30s or late ‘20s.

“This is just a picture of a wharf at Jaluit [in the Marshall Islands], with a
bunch of people,” Gillespie said. “It’s just silly. And this is coming from a
guy who has spent the last 28 years doing genuine research into the Earhart
disappearance and led 11 expeditions into the South Pacific.”

But who knows what new evidence will still arise! There must be more to this
Earhart thing, right? Unless she’s been dead for 80 years on an island in the
Pacific?

*

Old July 11th 17, 05:54 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Charles Lindbergh

On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 00:54:06 -0700, "Bob (not my real pseudonym)"
wrote:

With what The History Channel has become, I'm surprised they didn't
claim 'proof' that aliens had kidnapped them using the black hole in
the Bermuda Triangle...

It is all just speculation. Same for what I suspect happened. I
would not be surprised if the US Navy enlisted Earhart and Noonan to
take aerial photographs of Japanese activity on the Marshall Islands,
where she subsequently was forced to make an emergency landing and was
then "rescued" by the Japanese, her aircraft impounded and all
transported to Saipan in the Marianas Island chain and then both were
imprisoned and executed after it was discovered they were spying.

Like I said it is all speculation, but my version would make a great
movie........
Old July 11th 17, 06:40 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
john szalay

Charles Lindbergh wrote in
:

wrote:

With what The History Channel has become, I'm surprised they didn't
claim 'proof' that aliens had kidnapped them using the black hole in
the Bermuda Triangle...

It is all just speculation. Same for what I suspect happened. I
would not be surprised if the US Navy enlisted Earhart and Noonan to
take aerial photographs of Japanese activity on the Marshall Islands,
where she subsequently was forced to make an emergency landing and was
then "rescued" by the Japanese, her aircraft impounded and all
transported to Saipan in the Marianas Island chain and then both were
imprisoned and executed after it was discovered they were spying.

Like I said it is all speculation, but my version would make a great
movie........

IF the Japanese travel book was indeed published in 1935, that settles
the arguement..

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...0463/japanese-
blogger-points-out-timeline-flaw-in-supposed-earhart-photo

http://dl.ndl.go.jp/info:ndljp/pid/1...3Andljp%2Fpid%
2F1223403&contentNo=99&__lang=en
Old July 11th 17, 06:43 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jul 11, 2017, Charles Lindbergh wrote
(in ):

wrote:

With what The History Channel has become, I'm surprised they didn't
claim 'proof' that aliens had kidnapped them using the black hole in
the Bermuda Triangle...

It is all just speculation. Same for what I suspect happened. I
would not be surprised if the US Navy enlisted Earhart and Noonan to
take aerial photographs of Japanese activity on the Marshall Islands,
where she subsequently was forced to make an emergency landing and was
then "rescued" by the Japanese, her aircraft impounded and all
transported to Saipan in the Marianas Island chain and then both were
imprisoned and executed after it was discovered they were spying.

Like I said it is all speculation, but my version would make a great
movie........

....but it would still be a work of fiction, and rewrite of history on the
same scale as the atrocious Ben Afleck “Pearl Harbor”.

--

Regards,
Savageduck

Old July 11th 17, 07:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Byker

"Savageduck" wrote in message

Since the Murdoch take over of The History Channel, Discovery Channel, The
Learning Channel, Velocity, and in some way, The NatGeo Channel they are
all emulating his tabloid publications, and Fox News by presenting us with
"alternate facts", or anything else the gullible, uninformed public might
be prepared to believe.

You remember an urban legend back in the 1960s when a piece of Amelia
Earhart brand luggage was misidentified as actually belonging to the
aviatrix.

http://www.shelterrific.com/2009/11/...arhart-luggage

There was even an old woman hunted down and harassed by reporters who
believed she was the real Amelia, living incognito. She finally put her foot
down and blurted, "I AM NOT AMELIA EARHART!"

Old July 11th 17, 10:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Mitchell Holman[_9_]

Savageduck wrote in

On 2017-07-11 07:54:06 +0000, "Bob (not my real pseudonym)"
said:

With what The History Channel has become, I'm surprised they didn't
claim 'proof' that aliens had kidnapped them using the black hole in
the Bermuda Triangle...

Since the Murdoch take over of The History Channel, Discovery Channel,
The Learning Channel, Velocity, and in some way, The NatGeo Channel
they are all emulating his tabloid publications, and Fox News by
presenting us with "alternate facts", or anything else the gullible,
uninformed public might be prepared to believe.

Case in point, the above channels fixation
"Bible Secrets Revealed!" and "The Search For
Noah's Ark" and other such religious pablum.