Medal Winners: Air Traffic Control Tapes

Old January 30th 06, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Default Medal Winners: Air Traffic Control Tapes

From today's AvWeb: NATCA Honors Its Best
Archie League Medal Safety: Air Traffic Control Tapes

http://www.natca.org/mediacenter/ALTapes.msp

Great Lakes Region:
Cirrus in trouble after switching off autopilot. Hmm?

Eastern Region:
Gear up catch by tower.

New England Region - Boston:
Pilot (Dad) possible stroke, possible CO poisoning. Daughter lands plane.

Souwthwest Region:
Lifeguard Flight. 24 hour old baby - crashing. Radio coordination
w/hospital.

Western Pacific Region:
Traffic call to avoid collision.

Montblack

Old January 30th 06, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

New England Region - Boston:
Pilot (Dad) possible stroke, possible CO poisoning. Daughter lands plane.

That one is spooky First the dad, then the mom become unresponsive?

If it was CO poisoning, how come the daughter wasn't affected?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 30th 06, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Montblack wrote:

Eastern Region:
Gear up catch by tower.

Geez. We'd catch a dozen gear ups every year when I was at GFK.
Old January 30th 06, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Geez. We'd catch a dozen gear ups every year when I was at GFK.

Perhaps that's why these controllers won their award. They didn't just
watch it, they did something about it.

-Robert

Old January 30th 06, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Age, along with fitness, are two of a number of factors in CO2
poisoining. Older you get, the less tolerance you have, all other
things being equal. It has to do with the body's ability to handle low
O2 conditions.

-Malcolm Teas

Old January 30th 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Jay Honeck wrote:

New England Region - Boston:
Pilot (Dad) possible stroke, possible CO poisoning. Daughter lands plane.

That one is spooky First the dad, then the mom become unresponsive?

If it was CO poisoning, how come the daughter wasn't affected?

I thought I recall that the problem in this case was not CO poisoning. The
father was stricken by a stroke and the mother was overcome by emotion and
lost consciousness.

--
Peter
Old January 30th 06, 07:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Montblack wrote:

From today's AvWeb: NATCA Honors Its Best
Archie League Medal Safety: Air Traffic Control Tapes

http://www.natca.org/mediacenter/ALTapes.msp

Be interesting if they updated these more frequently.

--
Peter
Old January 30th 06, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

"Peter R." wrote:

I thought I recall that the problem in this case was not CO poisoning.

I recall reading... that is.

--
Peter
Old January 30th 06, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

From today's AvWeb: NATCA Honors Its Best
Archie League Medal Safety: Air Traffic Control Tapes
http://www.natca.org/mediacenter/ALTapes.msp

Hey, did you hear the one about the blonde Cirrus pilot? :-))
Old January 30th 06, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

It got me curious.

I wonder if these events caused by malfunction or pilot's failure to follow
checklist.

oups.com...