The most probable origin of NASA moon rocks

Old October 18th 03, 05:30 AM
Fred J. McCall

"Snuffy Smith" wrote:

:"D.K." wrote in message
:
: What I'd like to know is how widely Soviet space achievements
: (Sputnik, Gagarin, Leonov, Tereshkova) were popularized in the USA?
:
:Not at all. Sputnik created the space race...which Russia eventually lost,
:but you won't find a single yankee soul who knows who Tereshkova was.

Wrong.

--
"Adrenaline is like exercise, but without the excessive gym fees."
-- Professor Walsh, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"
Old October 18th 03, 05:34 AM
Garrison Hilliard

"Snuffy Smith" wrote:
Michael, you have been smoking that Afghani hashish again!

Michael desperately needs to meet Buzz Aldrin's fist!

p.s. Seventy-two years old and still able to clock the lunatic... GO BUZZ!
Old October 18th 03, 05:41 AM
Garrison Hilliard

"Snuffy Smith" wrote:
Not at all. Sputnik created the space race...which Russia eventually lost,
but you won't find a single yankee soul who knows who Tereshkova was.

The Soviet space babe, right? So you're a liar... although one of high principles.
Old October 18th 03, 05:48 AM
Steve Hix

In article ,
"Snuffy Smith" wrote:

"D.K." wrote in message
In article , "usertx" wrote:

"Michael Petukhov" wrote in message
. com...

indeed. although as far as I know USSR also never officialy said these
lunar expeditions were for real. It was ignored in fact. USSR was
perhaps the only country in the world where "US moon landings" were
not broadcasted live on TV.

Michael

US moon landings were broadcasting in USSR! You are just too young to
remember.

Yep, they were broadcast. I vaguely remember it when I was a kid.

What I'd like to know is how widely Soviet space achievements
(Sputnik, Gagarin, Leonov, Tereshkova) were popularized in the USA?

Quite widely, at least for my cohort; I was born in 1950, and was quite
space-mad up through the mid-1970s, at least. As were most of the boys,
and some of the girls, that I went to school with.

Not at all. Sputnik created the space race...which Russia eventually lost,
but you won't find a single yankee soul who knows who Tereshkova was.

Maybe there's something wrong with kids from New England, but every kid
my age certainly knew who Valentina Tereshkova, as well as Gagarin,
Titov, and the rest of the early crowd.
Old October 18th 03, 06:09 AM
Pete

"Gord Beaman" wrote in message
"Bill Silvey" wrote:

From: Alan Minyard a

NASA even built a "zero-G" test rig to try out the landers controls.
It had a lift engine that could be throttled to exactly balance out
the weight of the rig, so the thrusted operated at "zero-G"

Al Minyard

I think they had more than one. I recall a pilot punching out of one
just before it crashed.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Fella name of Armstrong.

Probably ruined his career, busting up the gear like that.

Wonder whatever happened to him........

Bob McKellar

Went on to do some flight testing for equipment with some alphabet-soup
organization down on the sleepy part of Florida's east coast, IIRC. Some
government branch or something.

It's rumored after that one incident that only two other guys in the

whole
place would fly with him.

Sad, really.

;-)

Sounds familiar...isn't he the guy who got a little off course
and landed his craft on some little used spot something like a
quarter of a million miles from home?...I hear that he got it
back home ok though, lucky for him.

I think he even got out to ask for directions, but couldn't find anyone.

I guess they just kind of aimed in the general direction of home, and found
it.

Pete

Old October 18th 03, 06:10 AM
Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj

Snuffy Smith wrote:

"Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj" wrote in message

Bill Silvey wrote:

"Michael Petukhov" wrote in message
e.com

snip

Komrad Mikey, why do you continue on with this outrageous stupidity?

I know your burning hatred for everyone not Russian or who doesn't
adhere to the Soviet point of view clouds your vision quite a bit,
but I *do* find itamazing that you can't accept scientific facts -
that the United States sent not one but three men to the moon,
all of whom returned successfully, several times.
That your nation failed to do so has to be the only reason
for this continued petulence on your part.

If I were you I'd seek psychological help, but not in your
own nation, good lord no!
Please, seek *reliable* mental health care somewhere in the west.

Please, Mr. Silvey.
Why would you want to invite Mr. Petukhov out of Russia.
They have especially well developed psychiatric facilities in Russia,
left over from the soviet system.
--
Rostyk

Yeah but Sticky, you know perfectly well...insane people were not
kept in Russian whacko bins. They were for housing handicapped
and the political disbelievers.

Oh sure. But the inmates were still given psychiatric treatments.
By real russian psychiatrists.
And I'd rather see those good doctors continue to practice
in russia, rather than emigrate and find work elsewhere e.g.
in Israel or for the US government.

Old October 18th 03, 06:18 AM
Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj

Snuffy Smith wrote:

"D.K." wrote in message

In article , "usertx" wrote:

"Michael Petukhov" wrote in message
e.com...

indeed. although as far as I know USSR also never officialy said these
lunar expeditions were for real. It was ignored in fact. USSR was
perhaps the only country in the world where "US moon landings" were
not broadcasted live on TV.

Michael

US moon landings were broadcasting in USSR!
You are just too young to remember.

Yep, they were broadcast. I vaguely remember it when I was a kid.

What I'd like to know is how widely Soviet space achievements
(Sputnik, Gagarin, Leonov, Tereshkova) were popularized in the USA?

Not at all. Sputnik created the space race...which Russia eventually lost,
but you won't find a single yankee soul who knows who Tereshkova was.

Well not you obviously!
Though I don't remember Leonov.