The most probable origin of NASA moon rocks

Old October 18th 03, 11:44 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Michael Petukhov" wrote in message
om...
"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message

"Michael Petukhov" wrote in message
om...

Not necessary. This is because you are not a scientist Keith.
Otherwise you would know that humans never landed
on Sun and other distant stars (at least officially) but
its material compositions are known from spectroscopy data.
Some elements (helium for instance) were first discovered on
Sun and only after that was found on Earth.

Spectroscopy will tell you what elements are present and in what
proportions but can tell you nothing about the structure of the
objects themselves. Diamond, graphite and hard coal all show
up as carbon in a spctroscopic analysis.

So what?

But you know this Michael so you seem to be being somewhat
less than wholly truthful.

100% truthful. NASA had tons of meteorites of different type.
only from ANSMET program NASA got some 10000 Antarctic meteories
Spectroscopy data were good enough to separate lunar rocks from that
stock. BTW lunar meteorites have no single structure. It can be
as different as basalts and breccias.

Ansmet started in the year 1976, how do you propose
NASA accessed its findings back in 1969 ?

snip

If one have reliable markers it was easy to separate lunar
meteorires from the rest and to know "what any sane person
would expect"

And the reliable markers were of course obtained by the Apollo samples

Keith

Old October 19th 03, 12:31 AM
Fred J. McCall

"Snuffy Smith" wrote:

:"Fred J. McCall" wrote in message
:news :
: I assume you're referring to SARS? Not a "flu bug". China actually
: had public thermometers to check people on the street. You seem a bit
: misinformed here.
:
:Well duhhh! Only AFTER they looked like fools in the eyes of the entire
:world.

Well duhhh! You don't even know what it was and you think THEY looked
like fools?

: :The question is how long before China implodes like the Soviet Union????
:
: It won't happen. China has been much more economically flexible than
: the old Soviet Union was.
:
:Never say never.

The odds are just as good that WE will implode like the Soviet Union.
Never say never, after all.

--
"We come into the world and take our chances.
Fate is just the weight of circumstances.
Old October 19th 03, 05:14 AM
Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj

Fred J. McCall wrote:
"Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj" wrote:

:Fred J. McCall wrote:
:
: (D.K.) wrote:
:
: :P.S. First American woman in space was what - 20 years after
: :Tereshkova?
:
: Yes, the difference being that we didn't send one until she had an
: actual purpose in being there. 'Parachute packer in a can' as a
: 'first' is hardly something to be beating your chest about.
:
:Sour grapes?

Not hardly.

:I believe that in addition to the obvioous political political
urpose, they even manufactured a set of 'opportunity knocks'
:scientific, medical, purposes for launching her.

As I understood it, she was sealed in with instructions not to touch
anything.

So how does that contradict, or affect the validity of anything
which I said, even in the scientific field? After all did orbiting
Laika by the russians, or the monkeys and apes by the USA not provide
valuable biometric data?

:As a slight parallel, What was the purpose of Senator John
:Glenns' 1998, STS-95 return trip into space?

Funding. He's a Senator and can help get it raised.

[And no, we shouldn't have sent him, either. But you don't see us
touting it as a great 'victory'.

I think that AARP is

However, in your case, I suppose you have to grab what little glory
you can find wherever you can find it.]

Indeed! I will revel and bask in any glory that I can garner
And I won't in any small and mean spirited way deny the fame, glory
and credit due to the space pioneers of any beings in this universe.
--
May you live long and prosper
Rostyk

Old October 19th 03, 06:50 AM
Fred J. McCall

"Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj" wrote:

:Fred J. McCall wrote:
: "Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj" wrote:
:
: :Fred J. McCall wrote:
: :
: : (D.K.) wrote:
: :
[...]

Not especially, no, as I understand it. We sent up monkeys first
because we were afraid something would go wrong with the vehicle and
kill the occupant, and monkeys are generally more expendable than
fighter pilots.

I suspect the Soviet reason for sending a dog was similar.

: :As a slight parallel, What was the purpose of Senator John
: :Glenns' 1998, STS-95 return trip into space?
:
: Funding. He's a Senator and can help get it raised.
:
: [And no, we shouldn't have sent him, either. But you don't see us
: touting it as a great 'victory'.
:
:I think that AARP is

Perhaps. No doubt they're enamoured of "Pukin' Jake" Garn, too. Both
of those flights, however, were pure fund raisers and should never
have happened.

[Jake Garn *was* a study subject, by the way. They were studying
space sickness. He was a 'good' subject.]

: However, in your case, I suppose you have to grab what little glory
: you can find wherever you can find it.]
:
:Indeed! I will revel and bask in any glory that I can garner
:And I won't in any small and mean spirited way deny the fame, glory
:and credit due to the space pioneers of any beings in this universe.

There are heros and then there are heros. It's not particularly
heroic if you don't understand what's going on when it happens to you.

When you ask most 'heros' about what they did, the usual answer is
roughly, "**** happened and I did what I had to do. Heroic? I almost
fainted when it was all over!"

--
"This is a war of the unknown warriors; but let all strive
without failing in faith or in duty...."

-- Winston Churchill
Old October 19th 03, 07:49 AM
John Keeney

"Pete" wrote in message

"Gord Beaman" wrote in message
"Bill Silvey" wrote:

From: Alan Minyard a

NASA even built a "zero-G" test rig to try out the landers

controls.
It had a lift engine that could be throttled to exactly balance out
the weight of the rig, so the thrusted operated at "zero-G"

Al Minyard

I think they had more than one. I recall a pilot punching out of one
just before it crashed.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Fella name of Armstrong.

Probably ruined his career, busting up the gear like that.

Wonder whatever happened to him........

Bob McKellar

Went on to do some flight testing for equipment with some alphabet-soup
organization down on the sleepy part of Florida's east coast, IIRC.

Some
government branch or something.

It's rumored after that one incident that only two other guys in the

whole
place would fly with him.

Sad, really.

;-)

Sounds familiar...isn't he the guy who got a little off course
and landed his craft on some little used spot something like a
quarter of a million miles from home?...I hear that he got it
back home ok though, lucky for him.

I think he even got out to ask for directions, but couldn't find anyone.

I guess they just kind of aimed in the general direction of home, and

found
it.

Yea, but last I heard he was teaching school some place in Ohio...

Old October 19th 03, 08:03 AM
John Keeney

"Gordon" wrote in message
Not at all. Sputnik created the space race...which Russia eventually

lost,
but you won't find a single yankee soul who knows who Tereshkova was.

The first true space passenger, and a woman besides.

As for the publicity that early Soviet launches recieved, I have two

framed
newspapers over my desk - one is of Yuri's flight, the other is

Carpenter's
first flight. Coverage on both events is remarkably similar, and comprise

the
entire front page of the Houston newspapers. Folks in the US knew all

about
Sputnik and Gagarin - those two flights were always discussed in the

context of
the flashpoint for the space race. I have a pretty vivid memory of a

talking
head explaining the difference between models of the Saturn V and Soviet

launch
vehicles.

v/r
Gordon
PS, whoever assumed no one north of the Mason/Dixon would know who

Tereshkova
was needs to remember that it was a space *race*, and Americans sure as

heck
knew who else was in the race. As for painting all Americans with the
broad-brush term of "Yankee", well, that's just plain quaint.

The classic cartoon: the foreign tour guild apologizing for the
"Yankee go home" painted on the wall to which one of the tourist
replies "That's all right, we all's from the south."