Q: Niagra Falls and Quebec

Old August 18th 03, 06:21 PM
Peter R.

Default Q: Niagra Falls and Quebec

john smith ) wrote:

Which airport and FBO to use at Niagara Falls?

I have used KIAG (Niagara Falls) airport a few times. There is a US$3.00
landing fee there. Fuel is relatively pricey, compared to other airports
in the region. Tech Aviation is the FBO the

http://www.techaviation.com/

How far is each airport from the Falls?

KIAG is about six or seven miles away from the falls. Perhaps a ten
minute drive by car.

Is there transportation to see the Falls?

You mean, besides your airplane? A cab will run you about $15 or so
each way. Another option is renting a car for the day.

Is there a restaurant that overlooks the Falls?

Yes, there are a few. Here is the best view, but not necessarily the best
food:

http://www.skylon.com/revolve.html

What are the recommendations for FBO's to use at Quebec?

Do not know...

--
Peter

Old August 18th 03, 09:06 PM
David Megginson

EDR writes:

The city (CYQB).

I cannot give any recommendations, except that I vaguely remember
hearing one horror story about landing/terminal/callout fees -- it
would be good to call the airport authority and check:

(418) 640-2663

Here are a couple of FBOs you can call; hopefully, other readers can
comment on their experiences with them (I'm interested in hearing as
well, since CYQB is my obvious fuel stop between Ottawa and the
Maritimes):

Airsol Mécanique Inc. (418) 877-4858
Petro Air Service (418) 877-2808

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson, , http://www.megginson.com/
Old August 19th 03, 04:23 AM
Snowbird

john smith wrote in message ...
Which airport and FBO to use at Niagara Falls?

I think KIAG is the closest airport to the Falls (American
side). Perhaps 5 miles as the crow flies, longer by car (5-10
minutes). Nice airport. Was having trouble keeping an
FBO; some incarnations have had courtesy cars, last I was
there they didn't. They can get you a decent crew rate
for hotels. IIRC (we used to stay w/ relatives) some of
the hotels will pick up, and are then w/in walking distance
of the Falls on the American side.

Is there transportation to see the Falls?

You could rent a car or take a cab from KIAG, but of course
don't miss overflying the falls in your plane. There is a
special procedure in the AF/D which you should follow. Buff
FSS is great and will answer any questions.

In addition to the more popular viewing areas, I strongly
recommend the local favorite: Goat Island State Park, which
is a series of islands poking into the Niagara River between
the Falls. Great place for a picnic and a rock-scramble,
and a different view of both Canadian and American Falls.
Accessed from American side.

Is there a restaurant that overlooks the Falls?

The Skylon tower on the Canadian side, but the food is
un-impressive unless it's changed recently. Carnivores
used to speak well of John's Flaming Hearth on US side in
Niagara Falls, but it doesn't have a view of the Falls
(steak, potatoes kind of place). I'm racking my brains
to think of the name of my own favorite restaurant, which
is a fish place overlooking the Niagara River gorge,
and I can't think of it. Shoot!

If you have time, it's well worth it to tour the hydroelectric
plant.

What are the recommendations for FBO's to use at Quebec?

No experience, can't help.

Cheers,
Sydney (Buffalo gal)