will the US military power dominate the world

Old October 22nd 03, 04:55 PM
Denyav

One of the amazing things I noticed when visiting Europe was the smaller
scale. Cities and distances there are much, much smaller than in the US,
primarily due to history.

Good observation,commuting distances in Europa are much shorter than US and
thats probably also explains why US driving public prefers big cars with soft
comfortable suspensions whereas Europeans prefer smaller ones with firmer
suspensions.
In Europa car is a device to go from point A to point B,not very much so in US.
Old October 22nd 03, 06:06 PM
Stephen Harding

Denyav wrote:

Use the train or bus for our normal, day to day
work/living needs, then hop into the car and head out to Monument Valley or
visit the sis' at college when the opportunity arose.

Unless you you visit your sister or head out to Monument Valley everday,it
would be a very expensive investment.

Not every day, but surely every weekend. Doesn't have to be somewhere
grandiose. Even someplace 200 miles away is within "day trip" range
for myself, and many Americans.

A car makes it possible, and it's a nice quality enhancement to ones life.

SMH
Old October 22nd 03, 06:12 PM
phil hunt

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:47:25 +0100, Greg Hennessy wrote:

You cannot claim that campaign contributions are morally equivalent to the
corrupt taking of bribes and overt attempts to destroy evidence and any
attempt at investigation of it.

Maybe I can, and maybe I can't -- I can think of lots of arguments
both ways; but that's rather beside the point since I wasn't
claiming such a thing in the first place.

Oh yes you were, your elaborately constructed 2nd fallacy was clearly
drawing an equivalence between the two.

Ah -- I think I understand you now. You seem to think that I'm
trying to use logic to "trap" you into disagreeing with some of your
beliefs. You also, subconsciously, don't think your beleifs would
stand up to the scrutiny of debaste being cast on them -- probably
you have low self esteem, at least in your intellectual abilities --
so a defense mechanism kicks in and you evade the issue.

Oh, BTW, a question isn't a fallacy. A statement (e.g. "2 plus 2 is
4") can be a fallacy, since it might be false. but a question (e.g.
"Is 2 plus 2 equal to 4?") can't, thought it might have an answer of
"no".

(Email: , but first subtract 275 and reverse
the last two letters).

Old October 22nd 03, 08:57 PM
Jarg

I'm not sure all Europeans would agree with this view. There are plenty of
enthusiast magazines, clubs, etc there, and I suspect a bit of envy for the
relative affordability of autos in the US.

Jarg

Old October 23rd 03, 12:16 AM
Chad Irby

In article ,
(Marcus Andersson) wrote:

Chad Irby wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
(Marcus Andersson) wrote:

Unless you want to make yourself the trouble of bringing your car with
you, that is.

Not a horrible problem for almost anyone. When "taking your car with
you" is about a third of the cost of doing the same in Europe, it's a
much different situation.

Say that you're going into town for some shopping... if you have your
car you must remember not to walk too far from where you've parked it
unless you want to walk several miles when it's time to go home again.

"Several miles" for *shopping*?

Geez, if I go "several miles" to shop somewhere, it's to a major (100+
stores) mall. But from my house to the nearest good-sized shopping
center is less than a kilometer, and a major mall with seventy or eighty
stores is about two kilometers. For most everyday needs, there's a
Target (a major department store) right next to the mall. For
groceries, there are three good-sized grocery stores within three
kilometers, and a 24 hour convenience store across the *street*.

And this is not an unusual area.

In most US urban zones, there is so *much* shopping available that you
have to be a fool to walk several miles in trying to do it.

And you can't pop in to a restaurant or pub and have a couple of beers
unless you have some designated sober driver.

*horror*

Or unless you call a cab. Or ride a bike, like I do (to the downtown
bar district, a mile and a half from here). Or - oddly enough - walk.

And a "couple" of beers is below the legal limit for most normal-sized
humans.

cirby at cfl.rr.com

Slam on brakes accordingly.
Old October 23rd 03, 01:33 AM
Regnirps

A relative had a friend visiting from Italy last spring. He took pictures of
the weirdest things. Each time he'd say he was taing the picture becuase they
didn't have anything like the subject in Italy. The one's I remember are the
school bus and all the folks in hard hats at an overpass construction site.

-- Charlie Springer
Old October 23rd 03, 01:40 AM
Regnirps

car is a wonderful gadget, but it is responsible for a lot of social
destruction in the US IMHO. Never mind pollution concerns, just the social
ones. Suburbia, destruction of city centers, traffic congestion,
depersonalization and even fostering of anti-social behavior.

Yeah, freedom is a terrible thing. We need more public transport. Doesn't it
make you feel good to rob Peter so Paul can ride the bus (monorail/light
rail/cable car/ferry/underground)?

-- Charlie Springer
Old October 23rd 03, 01:44 AM
BUFDRVR

Say that you're going into town for some shopping... if you have your
car you must remember not to walk too far from where you've parked it
unless you want to walk several miles when it's time to go home again.

As opposed to the bus or train stop that is always conviently located near all
your shopping locations? This is absurd, give it up.

And you can't pop in to a restaurant or pub and have a couple of beers
unless you have some designated sober driver.

Now, personally I don't drink at all if I'm driving, but for 98% of the human
race, two beers over the course of a lunch will not produce a blood alcohal
level that exceeds legal, or safety limits, particularly US beers.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"