2019 US Nationals

Old August 28th 18, 01:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default 2019 US Nationals

Attention US contest pilots(Canadians are part of the group).
The 2019 15 meter nationals has been rescheduled to be held at Bermuda High from May 7- 15. This change spreads the schedule and allows pilots with 15/18 gliders to consider flying both. Hobbs will still hold 18 and Open as originally planned.
This will be on the SSA web site soon.
Thanks to Jayne for agreeing to host on short notice.
For the contest committee
UH
Old August 28th 18, 03:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

This goes against traditional logic.

The 15M and open should be together and the Std and 18m.

Most gliders now are either 15/18 or 18/21. The 15M and 18M and 18M and open should never be held together.

Why is the site selection committee trying to break these rules? Also holding nationals early in May is a disadvantage to northern pilots as well as those that work in education. We continue to discourage pilots from racing?

Tim
Old August 28th 18, 07:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Deane[_2_]

Tim -

I would guess that there is no intention to break any rules, rather the limiting factor may well be the number of available bids and site suitability.

I'm grateful for the added flexibility right now..

2T
Old August 28th 18, 08:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Tuesday, August 28, 2018 at 12:58:03 PM UTC-6, Peter Deane wrote:
Tim -

I would guess that there is no intention to break any rules, rather the limiting factor may well be the number of available bids and site suitability.

I'm grateful for the added flexibility right now..

2T

I guess I have trouble understanding the logic.

We have three classes that overlap.

15 and 18 share many of the same gliders
18 and 21 share the many of the same gliders

So if we hold the 15 and open together and the 18M someplace else the 15/18 gliders and the 18/21 gliders can fly in two contests.

We have a contest with all three scheduled, so we move the 15 and leave the 18/Opens at one site. Now the 18/21 glider pilots must choose one class to fly.

If the Site Selection Committee had moved the 18M then both the 15/18 gliders and the 18/21 gliders could choose two contests.

Can Bermuda High not handle 18M gliders but can handle a fully loaded 15M?

We keep asking why the US does so poorly at the worlds? One of the reasons is our pilots don't get to fly enough contest each year. Then we purposely limit the number of contest they can fly?

Old August 28th 18, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Retting

?????I read UH post several times....he writes the 15 and 18 will be held on different dates at different locations....I'm old .....why is TT barking....
The kids / job in education I get....

UH.....no thanks for Frank?.....the other half...or is he off in Tahiti....
Thanks Frank!!! U 2 Jaynie....

Old August 28th 18, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, August 28, 2018 at 4:33:01 PM UTC-4, Retting wrote:
?????I read UH post several times....he writes the 15 and 18 will be held on different dates at different locations....I'm old .....why is TT barking....
The kids / job in education I get....

UH.....no thanks for Frank?.....the other half...or is he off in Tahiti....
Thanks Frank!!! U 2 Jaynie....

Jayne did the work of organizing on short notice.
UH
Old August 28th 18, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Seaborn (A8)

Thank you for this update. Very much appreciate UH, the Contest Committee and especially Jayne and Frank for hosting on short notice.

John Seaborn A8

1-26 Nationals? Papa3[_2_] Soaring 11 August 31st 13 05:35 PM
1-26 Nationals? Papa3[_2_] Soaring 22 July 26th 12 04:57 AM
East Coast Nationals-West Coast Nationals Sam Giltner[_1_] Soaring 3 September 28th 08 07:55 PM
US Nationals [email protected] Soaring 6 May 21st 08 04:22 AM
Location of 2006 US 18m nationals and Sports Class Nationals and 15m ? John Bojack Soaring 2 July 18th 05 02:45 PM