Flying with Parachutes

Old August 12th 18, 05:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB

Default Flying with Parachutes

On Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 10:29:47 PM UTC-5, 2G wrote:
Unless you have an emergency door ejection on your Cessna (I have never seen one with this), you won't be able to get out to use your parachute.

Tom

Why not? I have never had a problem opening a door on a Cessna in flight. In fact, on most old Cessnas, the doors pop open every time they are bumped by a shoulder.

Does anyone remember the Cirrus SR-22 accident of a few years ago where the Cirrus was in a mid-air? The airframe parachute was deployed but the plane was on fire. The two occupants ended up jumping (without chutes, unfortunately) to avoid burning. I'll wear my chute, thank you.
Old August 12th 18, 05:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 9:09:25 PM UTC-7, WB wrote:
On Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 10:29:47 PM UTC-5, 2G wrote:
Unless you have an emergency door ejection on your Cessna (I have never seen one with this), you won't be able to get out to use your parachute.

Tom

Why not? I have never had a problem opening a door on a Cessna in flight. In fact, on most old Cessnas, the doors pop open every time they are bumped by a shoulder.

Does anyone remember the Cirrus SR-22 accident of a few years ago where the Cirrus was in a mid-air? The airframe parachute was deployed but the plane was on fire. The two occupants ended up jumping (without chutes, unfortunately) to avoid burning. I'll wear my chute, thank you.

Partially opening a door is one thing, opening so you can exit out of it going well in excess of Vne is another. If you want to be SURE you can get out, it must be jettisoned.

Tom
Old August 12th 18, 05:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

My club has enough parachutes for every glider we have and it's pilot's choice as to whether to wear them. The vast majority do. Here in Canada the type certificates for German gliders are almost verbatim translations of the LBA/EASA documents and I've noticed that they all seem to have under "required equipment" a back type parachute or a cushion of dimensions approximately the same as a backpack chute (the FAA TCDS for the same gliders seems to omit this) so you've got a choice of a cushion or a chute. Odds of needing a chute are very low but if I ever found myself needing one and chose a cushion instead I would feel a bit foolish. I also think that in case of a crash or a forced landing in remote country the parachute canopy might come in useful on the ground.

The Slingsby Kestrel 19 TCDS here in Canada is odd - it simply flat out requires a parachute to be onboard during flight!
Old August 12th 18, 06:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben Hirashima

I'm surprised to hear people saying they don't use parachutes. I've only been flying gliders for about 4 years, but I don't think I've ever seen a person get in a glider without one. To me, it's a no brainer, like wearing a seatbelt in a car.
Old August 12th 18, 11:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Sat, 11 Aug 2018 16:54:02 -0700, Eric Greenwell wrote:

Now that Cessna thing: I don't wear a parachute when I'm flying my
Cessna, because I don't have a Cessna; instead, I bought an airplane
with it's own parachute.

Another point: many Cessnas, Pipers and other light aircraft only have a
single door, often not on the pilot's side, AND the door is hinged at the
front, so the chances of anybody getting out, especially if they were
wearing a parachute, is much lower than it is for a glider.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Old August 12th 18, 01:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Retting

You could wear it in the bathtub, perhaps going to the mall, rig it to your car in case your brakes fail, I know .... tow it behind your boat.
Don’t leave home without it. Buy some bubble wrap too....
Hey! How come nobody wears a helmet.
After all, flying cross country you might need to bail out. Your head might hit a cow.
LOL
Just having fun.
Cheers
Old August 12th 18, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I've jumped out of a Cessna-182 with a sport rig which is much larger
than an emergency parachute.Â* Of course it had a jump door and no seats,
which made it much easier.

Recently, I ferried a C-182 which had not been flown for a dozen years
and I wore a parachute.Â* It was tight, but by opening the door, and
sliding the seat aft, I was able to rotate my body out the door.Â* Now,
should part of the harness catch on the door latch, the outcome would
not be as nice...

On 8/11/2018 9:29 PM, 2G wrote:
Unless you have an emergency door ejection on your Cessna (I have never seen one with this), you won't be able to get out to use your parachute.

Tom

--
Dan, 5J
Old August 12th 18, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
flgliderpilot[_2_]

On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 8:22:54 PM UTC-4, John Huthmaker wrote:
I'm just starting out with soaring. Simple question for you guys. How many of you fly with an emergency parachute? It looks like they cost around $2000 online. Pretty steep price; although the cost is insignificant if it saves your life. Is this something I should be looking to purchase?

When I started taking lessons, I asked about parachutes and the general consensus was that doing lessons involved a lot of getting in and out of the glider, and parachutes made it time consuming adjusting belts, sizing chutes, hard on the instructor, etc. it was just too much hassle. Considering most power pilots do no wear chutes, I told myself I'd be ok.

Once I soloed, I purchased my own parachute and handheld radio before I finally purchased my own glider. I had several incidents leading up to this decision:

1) We had a pilot with a brand new PIK having a grand old time doing wingovers in his new glider. He came fairly close to me on one of them, pulling up right in front of us coming the opposite direction causing us to make a sudden turn to avoid him. Close enough that it startled both myself AND the instructor. When you hear the instructor say OH **** you know it's close.

2) I had another pilot cut me off entering downwind... he must have been above and slightly behind me because neither of us saw each other until he sped up and descended right in front of me... about 75' ahead. I now make a few S turns before getting on the 45 to enter downwind.

3) I was on tow, just flying straight ahead and level at about 1500' when a Cesna flew right past us in the opposite direction, same altitude, about 40' off my wing tip. THAT one really startled me.. neither of us had radios so there was no warning.

4) Scratching in a weak thermal way downwind during my last leg of a silver badge attempt, desperately trying to get upwind to a better cloud... saw a twin prop heading very fast right at me. Decided I'd better bail from my thermal just in case he was flying IFR. He was, he flew right through where I was circling... and I was forced to land out. Not scary since I saw it coming, and the outlanding was fun for a new pilot in a 1-26.

But, I then made up my mind that I was always have a radio and a parachute even if I did not own a glider.

Old August 12th 18, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Huthmaker

Well its pretty obvious that the responses here can be a bit of a mixed bag.. Some have very coherent well thought through responses that support their position. Others seem much less so.

I appreciate everyone chiming in here. For those who choose not to fly with one, I fully respect your decision. I get that they may be uncomfortable.. But I've made up my mind that I do personally want to start using one. I have to imagine that I start using one right from the beginning, it'll feel weird without one.

I spoke to my instructor yesterday, and he uses one. My soaring club shares an airport with a skydiving company. So he introduced me to a rigger, and even recommended jumping with one. I tend to think he likes using one, but has had few students who had the desire.

I have a beautiful wife at home, and allot of good years left on this earth.. I'd never let a little danger take me away from an exciting sport. But if there is a way to make something safer, I'm all for it.

Looking for parachutes. Bruce Soaring 0 September 4th 08 10:08 PM
Why I have parachutes Joaquin Home Built 1 September 3rd 06 03:31 AM
Parachutes again [email protected] Soaring 31 February 26th 05 10:53 PM
Parachutes Rodney & Becky Home Built 3 October 9th 03 12:33 AM
Parachutes Rodney & Becky Aviation Marketplace 0 October 8th 03 04:20 AM