Should I upgrade from Skylane to Cirrus SR20?

Old June 12th 07, 04:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marc CYBW[_2_]

Default Should I upgrade from Skylane to Cirrus SR20?

I am a fractional owner of a pair of very nice Skylanes at Springbank
airport in Calgary (CYBW) and fly here and there, mostly just around Alberta
but occasionally on vacation - usually over the mountains to the wet
coast -(i.e. Vancouver island) - about 50 hrs /yr. Great operation. Great
service. Almost always a plane available. Planning on Oshkosh next year.

The Skylanes are about 7 old and the operation wants to upgrade to SR20's.
Double the investment, substantial increase in monthly and hourly costs.
Plus I'll have to train to upgrade to glass panels (8 hrs). Currently have
210 hrs. VFR OTT. Most of night rating. No intention of getting IFR rating.

No other fractional operation around so it's SR20 or back to the beaters
(182 or Arrow) at the flying club.

Recommendations anyone?

Thanks,
Marc

Old June 12th 07, 04:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Marc CYBW" wrote in message
I am a fractional owner of a pair of very nice Skylanes at Springbank
airport in Calgary (CYBW) and fly here and there, mostly just around
Alberta but occasionally on vacation - usually over the mountains to the
wet coast -(i.e. Vancouver island) - about 50 hrs /yr. Great operation.
Great service. Almost always a plane available. Planning on Oshkosh next
year.

The Skylanes are about 7 old and the operation wants to upgrade to SR20's.
Double the investment, substantial increase in monthly and hourly costs.
Plus I'll have to train to upgrade to glass panels (8 hrs). Currently have
210 hrs. VFR OTT. Most of night rating. No intention of getting IFR
rating.

No other fractional operation around so it's SR20 or back to the beaters
(182 or Arrow) at the flying club.

Recommendations anyone?

Buy one outright, and find a partner or two, if needed. It sounds like you
have no need for all of the expense, capability, and training required to
move up.
--
Jim in NC

Old June 12th 07, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith[_2_]

In article leobi.15208$NV3.6049@pd7urf2no,
"Marc CYBW" wrote:

I am a fractional owner of a pair of very nice Skylanes at Springbank
airport in Calgary (CYBW) and fly here and there, mostly just around Alberta
but occasionally on vacation - usually over the mountains to the wet
coast -(i.e. Vancouver island) - about 50 hrs /yr. Great operation. Great
service. Almost always a plane available. Planning on Oshkosh next year.

The Skylanes are about 7 old and the operation wants to upgrade to SR20's.
Double the investment, substantial increase in monthly and hourly costs.
Plus I'll have to train to upgrade to glass panels (8 hrs). Currently have
210 hrs. VFR OTT. Most of night rating. No intention of getting IFR rating.

No other fractional operation around so it's SR20 or back to the beaters
(182 or Arrow) at the flying club.

Recommendations anyone?

Why would anyone want to downgrade from a C182 to a Cirrus SR20?
Run the numbers for useful load, endurance, maintenance and insurance
costs.
Old June 12th 07, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"Marc CYBW" wrote:

[...]

Good heavens, there is someone even *more* opinionated than me. :-)

I was only going to suggest that how you actually use the airplane would
determine whether a change from C182 to SR20 would be an upgrade or a
downgrade. This is like comparing a Chevy Tahoe to a new Cadillac DTS; or a
Range Rover to a Jaguar XJ.

Peter

Old June 12th 07, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan

On Jun 11, 11:16 pm, "Marc CYBW"
wrote:
[...]

Just for flying day-VFR locally one hr per week, and no intention of
getting IFR, I would say an SR20 is a major overkill.

Old June 12th 07, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Andrew Sarangan wrote:
On Jun 11, 11:16 pm, "Marc CYBW"
wrote:
[...]

So is a 182.

Old June 13th 07, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan

On Jun 12, 2:50 pm, "Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net
wrote:
Andrew Sarangan wrote:
On Jun 11, 11:16 pm, "Marc CYBW"
wrote:
[...]

So is a 182.- Hide quoted text -

I was just about to say that too. For the type of flying he was
describing, an a 172 or Cherokee might be the most economical choice.

Old June 13th 07, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Luke Skywalker

On Jun 11, 10:16 pm, "Marc CYBW"
wrote:
[...]

My suggestion is that you stay with the Skylane(s). run the numbers
but I bet with the insurance etc your hourly cost skyrocket, I dont
see a mission requirement that dictates the SR20...and can you carry
as much (both volume and mass)?

Loverly (grin) countryside up there. My first Boeing type rating came
at the Boeing factory (the B-737/300 when it was new) and we took one
up to that part of the country and let me do "touch and goes".
Vancouver is just wonderful.

What a gig you must have.

Robert

Old June 13th 07, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marc CYBW[_2_]

Hi group,

Good arguments for skipping the SR20 so far, but......

...... one of the other fractional owners in our group looked at the
possibility of a few of us buying one of the 182s (as opposed to the club
rental beater) and suggested the following reasons for upgrading:

- the big red handle on the SR20
- the fun and challenge of flying a technologically current plane
- the flexibility of availability of 16 people in 2 planes vs. (say) 6 in
one plane (the 182 shared among 6)
- the upcoming engine overhaul on the 182
- laying off the risk of repairs, etc on the fractional operator
- the red carpet treatment of fractional ownership (scheduling, ramp
service, etc.)
- the big red handle (did I mention that?)
- the fun of a new airplane (did I mention that)
- the O2 system for mountain flying
- the big red handle when you're over the Rockies at 15,000 ft.(did I
mention that)
- the hassles of setting up a limited corporation to (maybe) limit our
liability

So, for an increase of about 50% in cost for a 50 hr year, he suggests we
go for it.

Seems logical so far.

Comments?

Marc

"Luke Skywalker" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old June 13th 07, 05:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Marc CYBW writes:

Comments?

You place too much faith in a big red handle.