Almost saw someone crash

Old May 22nd 04, 06:31 PM
Peter Duniho

"Viperdoc" wrote in message
[...]
I'd be interested in hearing how the group would have reacted to this
situation.

I'm not sure how I would have reacted, since I wasn't there.

However, it's my opinion that the aviation community could use more Serpicos
and fewer "true blues". Loyalty at all costs has little place in most
communities, but especially in the aviation community where safety takes a
lot of work to come by, and where innocent people can be killed by
irresponsible pilots, pilots need to be willing to take action when they see
someone else behaving so irresponsibly.

You don't mention what the outcome of the wingtip damage was. At flying
speed, even a brief whack at the end of the wing could bend something
important. I'm left wondering whether a) the pilot did depart again with
the damage, and b) whether the NTSB had been notified of the in-flight
collision that presumably caused "substantial damage". Immediate
notification would not be required in this case, but the NTSB still requires
a report within 10 days. The local FSDO as well would probably be
interested in hearing about the pilot, due to the various FAR violations.

CJ is right that there's a possibility her post-accident attitude reflected
her fear, rather than an oblivious attitude. However, if that were true,
you'd probably have been able to notice other symptoms of her being shaken
up. Adrenalin suppresses some fear reactions, but it comes with its own
side-effects. If she truly seemed totally okay with the whole situation,
Newps guess is probably more likely to be correct.

In any case, whether she was shaken up or not, it's obvious she exercised
poor preflight planning and proceeded into weather that she had no business
flying in. I would be less concerned about her psychological reaction to
the event, and more concerned that the event happened in the first place.

Pete

Old May 22nd 04, 06:53 PM
MLenoch

Adrenalin suppresses some fear reactions, but it comes with its own
side-effects.

So that's what happens to me whenever I am late for dinner coming from the
airport!
(Dud: I got a copy of the airshow safety/accident book; saw your contribution;
nice work.)
VL
Old May 22nd 04, 06:57 PM
lowflyer

"Viperdoc" wrote in message ...

I'd be interested in hearing how the group would have reacted to this
situation.

I would hope that the local FSDO would hear about her. I don't care
much if she kills herself through stupidity, but what about innocents
on the ground?
Old May 22nd 04, 07:24 PM
Dudley Henriques

"MLenoch" wrote in message
Adrenalin suppresses some fear reactions, but it comes with its own
side-effects.

So that's what happens to me whenever I am late for dinner coming from

the
airport!
(Dud: I got a copy of the airshow safety/accident book; saw your

contribution;
nice work.)
VL

Thank you Vlad. Des did a great job of getting and keeping all of us
together to do it. The total book a very well done effort and with any
luck at all, it might even save some lives. I was honored to be asked to
join the effort.
Dudley

Old May 22nd 04, 07:42 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Steven P. McNicoll" said:
"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message

Oh, you mean Steve Wozniak?

How many times did Wozniak crash?

Only once. But he sued Beech afterwards because the plane didn't prevent
him from getting behind the yoke without any experience or instruction in
a complex plane.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
So logically, if she weighs the same as a duck, she's made of wood, and
Old May 22nd 04, 07:51 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message

Only once. But he sued Beech afterwards because the plane
didn't prevent him from getting behind the yoke without any
experience or instruction in a complex plane.

Just once? Then how is Wozniak the type of person who ends up killing his
passengers or people on the ground, walks away unscathed, and then gets rich
by suing the aircraft manufacturer?

Old May 22nd 04, 07:53 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Steven P. McNicoll" said:
"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message

Only once. But he sued Beech afterwards because the plane
didn't prevent him from getting behind the yoke without any
experience or instruction in a complex plane.

Just once? Then how is Wozniak the type of person who ends up killing his
passengers or people on the ground, walks away unscathed, and then gets rich
by suing the aircraft manufacturer?

Well, let's see: He crashed his plane, put himself and a couple of
passengers in the hospital (he was in a coma), walked away (eventually)
and sued the aircraft manufacturer. How is he NOT that type of person?

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Never meddle in the affairs of NT. It is slow to boot and quick to crash.
Old May 22nd 04, 07:59 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message

Well, let's see: He crashed his plane, put himself and a couple of
passengers in the hospital (he was in a coma), walked away (eventually)
and sued the aircraft manufacturer. How is he NOT that type of
person?

Well, let's see; he didn't kill any passengers, he didn't kill anyone on the
ground, and he didn't walk away from the crash unscathed. Is that enough?

Old May 22nd 04, 09:36 PM
Gene Seibel

"Viperdoc" wrote in message ...

It was a very frustrating situation- she had nearly killed herself,
apparently knew why it had happened, and seemed to think this was a normal
activity of flying (let alone damaging her 1997 Bonanza A-36)

I'd be interested in hearing how the group would have reacted to this
situation.

Protecting everyone from themselves is an impossible job.
--
Gene Seibel
Hangar 131 - http://pad39a.com/gene/plane.html
Old May 22nd 04, 09:52 PM
David CL Francis

On Sat, 22 May 2004 at 12:49:50 in message
, Viperdoc
wrote:

After about fifteen minutes of this, we all heard a plane do a low approach
over the airport, and we ran to the window to take a look. At this point it
was clearly lower than the published minimums for the lowest approach, and
we were all concerned about a pilot flying around in such terrible weather.
We got a glimpse of a Bonanza, which then disappeared. I tuned 121.5 on my
radios as well as the CTAF, and heard the FBO call the pilot and ask if they
needed assistance. There were no calls or answers from the Bonanza, and we
feared the worst, waiting for an ELT signal. However, after a few minutes
the plane noises returned and the Bonanza landed and taxied to the FBO.

This reminded me of a story of my Father's. Not an active service pilot,
but he was nevertheless flying as an RAF test pilot and an RAF
Maintenance Unit in England in the early part of World War 2. Most of
his flying was very short flights and with rapid changes of type of
aircraft.

One day the weather closed in and the pilots decided that it was two bad
for flying. They were sitting in the control tower when they heard a
Spitfire near the field. They could not see it but it appeared to have
landed and soon they saw it taxing out of the murk. It stopped near the
control tower and the canopy came back. The pilot removed his flying
helmet and they were amazed to see long blonde hair. It was a young
woman of the A.T.A. (Air Transport Auxiliary) and my father and his
colleagues felt embarrassed by the amazing performance of this young
woman.

How times have changed. These men and women of the A.T.A. Delivered
aircraft from the factories to squadrons and to maintenance units. Not
quite a fair comparison as there was no suggestion of thunderstorms -
just poor visibility.

At this stage of an aircraft's service life they usually had no radios
fitted and navigational aids were minimal.
--
David CL Francis